Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    Well..it happened..I got burned from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

Auction says its #38 double signed and in New unread condition right? What I got was #267 Signed by Bev shipped in a unpadded envelope(from Romainia) and is dirty (used) condition. When I emailed seller he said to send it back within 12 days or he will leave negative feedback. Do you belive this crap!!! I have made a claim though PayPal and have reported him to Ebay (not that they will do anything) but at lease I can warn everyone here...
    Chooch,

Sorry that happened to you. However, don't give up on Ebay and Paypal. Speaking from very similar experience, they will go after this guy and investigate.

Take a look at his feedback. It's all the same people, over and over. That raises a flag with Ebay and Paypal right up front.

Don't give up. It takes Paypal about 30 days to get everything straight. I hope you marked it down as FRAUD since he didn't follow through with what his auction states.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    Well..it happened..I got burned from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

Auction says its #38 double signed and in New unread condition right? What I got was #267 Signed by Bev shipped in a unpadded envelope(from Romainia) and is dirty (used) condition. When I emailed seller he said to send it back within 12 days or he will leave negative feedback. Do you belive this crap!!! I have made a claim though PayPal and have reported him to Ebay (not that they will do anything) but at lease I can warn everyone here...
    Chooch,

Sorry that happened to you. However, don't give up on Ebay and Paypal. Speaking from very similar experience, they will go after this guy and investigate.

Take a look at his feedback. It's all the same people, over and over. That raises a flag with Ebay and Paypal right up front.

Don't give up. It takes Paypal about 30 days to get everything straight. I hope you marked it down as FRAUD since he didn't follow through with what his auction states.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    No I'm not going to give up on Ebay/PayPal. Overall I have very good and pleasurable people that I have delt with. I also understand that mistakes can and do happen...but this guy...wow. Now he is sending insulting/threating emails (which of course I will use) for what reason? I just want everyone to jot thiat name down and dont deal with him. Thanks for the kind words though
    I am glad I have a place such as this to warn and to vent...
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I know it’s too late, but one thing I usually look for is the location on eBay. Yours was Romania, a country I would consider risky. I usually avoid anything from Asia, because of scams and bootlegs. And Australia is just too expensive to have delivered to the US. I pretty much stick to the US, Canada, and the UK when ordering anymore. It’s just not worth the risk from another country.

Although I sell anywhere in the world and have had some great transactions with people in East Europe and Indonesia, heck if they pay I’ll send it anywhere. lol

and sorry to hear about the troubles Chooch, that just sucks.I just reported an item not received to eBay and Paypal today for not receiving a audio cd of The Girl Who Loves Tom Gorden. it's been over a month and they've ignored my last three emails.
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Be diligent with your claim, and IMMEDIATELY give negative feedback.
    Don't worry about retaliation. Your negotiating power at this time is to file the claims, document everything, and leave a neg-the buyer will want it rescinded and there lies extra power to you.

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

It might help to know you're not the only one to have dealings with this person - I'm still waiting for a book off him...not holding my breath any more

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone...great advice. I will continue to pursue this matter for sure. I received a email from him last night (much more subdude) saying that he would refund my money by the end of next week and I could ship the book to a US address. I find it intriguing that he has a US address but the funny part is "...by the end of next week" I guess he has to sell another item before he can give me my money LOL. Well Calla...at least I have good company:smile

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Postsecret but it is a website where people send in an anonymous postcard telling one of their secrets. It is at times touching, sad, creepy or funny but this next card fits this topic so perfect I had to share it here.

If you haven't visited the site I would recommend it. A new batch is posted every Sunday at http://www.postsecret.com

Nate

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

At least someone knows what they're doing.

In addition to the website, there are a couple PostSecret hardcover books out there as well. They are very thought-provoking.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff! I have one, Dora and I love it.

You gave me that didn't you Patrick?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Very,Very emotional,thought provoking charged Posts.. ..I want to get one of the books!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Great stuff! I have one, Dora and I love it.

You gave me that didn't you Patrick?
    Si' Senor, it's been two or three years ago now.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Discount Book Sale

I just wanted to warn everyone about this online company. I recently purchased 1984 through their website. I was charged the purchase price of 14.40 on the day of purchase 7/22. I learned today that the company made additional charges to my credit card on 7/24 and 8/24 for 19.95 each. As I had not purchased anything else from this company, I called them, and was told that these charges were a "membership fee", and that I had passed the 3 day free trial period and that the fee was non-refundable. After much debate, they finally agreed to refund one month of fees. (19.95) but that the rest would have to be handled by their refunds department. After researching the company I found that there have been many complaints about this company for the same reasons. Then, after filing a complaint with the BBB, I learned that the company has a BBB rating of an F with 95 reported complaints for the same type of problem. Anyway, as we are a society of book lovers, I thought I would issue a warning to all of you.

Beware of DBS books..

In fact....Fuck DBS books
    Sloth Love Chunk

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I just wanted to warn everyone about this online company. I recently purchased 1984 through their website. I was charged the purchase price of 14.40 on the day of purchase 7/22. I learned today that the company made additional charges to my credit card on 7/24 and 8/24 for 19.95 each. As I had not purchased anything else from this company, I called them, and was told that these charges were a "membership fee", and that I had passed the 3 day free trial period and that the fee was non-refundable. After much debate, they finally agreed to refund one month of fees. (19.95) but that the rest would have to be handled by their refunds department. After researching the company I found that there have been many complaints about this company for the same reasons. Then, after filing a complaint with the BBB, I learned that the company has a BBB rating of an F with 95 reported complaints for the same type of problem. Anyway, as we are a society of book lovers, I thought I would issue a warning to all of you.

Beware of DBS books..

What Credit Card company do you use?

I would report unauthorized charge to the CC company. Let them fight it out.

I've had very little luck with BBB in any area.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

my cc company said that I could dispute the charge, but that the company would probably claim that it was a legitimate contractual agreement. Regardless, I will dispute the charge. I just dont think it will do any good.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry that happened. Thank you for warning everyone about that company.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to hear of the problem. As mentioned I would dispute it through the Credit Card company-you have a better chance than you might think.
    I'll leave this thread up a bit, then merge it into the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague thread that already exists.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    my cc company said that I could dispute the charge, but that the company would probably claim that it was a legitimate contractual agreement. Regardless, I will dispute the charge. I just dont think it will do any good.
    What contract

Have them produce the contract you entered in. They can't.

Don't give up. Hidden fees like this are no different than theft from the card.

JMO

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Sorry to hear of the problem. As mentioned I would dispute it through the Credit Card company-you have a better chance than you might think.

I'll leave this thread up a bit, then merge it into the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague thread that already exists.
    My thoughts exactly (on both counts).

Best to you on a successful resolution, BROWNINGS CHILDE.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, I wasnt sure if we had a thread for this, but now I will go through this thread carefully.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump to an underutilized thread.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome for this. Very timely.

Perhaps the members here can help to suggest how to deal with an eBay person I am having a problem with.

An eBayer (leaving out ID for now) from Canada listed 2 books I was interested in...S/L Skeleton Crew and S/L Buick 8. SC was listed at $499.99 and Buick 8 at $199.99. I offered $600 for both + S/H and we settled on $700 shipped from Canada. The books came today. The Buick 8 traycase has 2 corners scrunched (not horrible, but damaged nevertheless). The Skeleton Crew book itself has a small spot where the cover was rubbed raw creating a flaw. The auction links are below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeleton-Crew-St...item2eac6c7591

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Bui...item2eac6c74f4

I e-mailed the seller this:

Hi-

I got the Skeleton Crew and From a Buick 8 books today. There were some noticeable flaws on both books that were not listed in your eBay descriptions.
    On the Buick 8, two of the traycase corners were scrunched (the front top right and the read upper left near the spine).

On the Skeleton Crew, when I removed the dust jacket from the book, there is a small part of the book cover surface that is rubbed away and is definitely noticeable.
    I am sorry to complain, but I am quite particular about the condition of the books I purchase. Both auctions stated very fine or "as new" condition and did not note any flaws. I am willing to keep the books but would like some compensation for the damage. (I can send you pictures if you wish, but I will need a regular e-mail to send them to). I would like $100 refund and would like to resolve this in a way that we both can be satisfied. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you very much for working with me on this issue.

Best wishes,

David

He/She responded with this:

Dear wizardsrainbow,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation of receipt.

As regards your complaints, I don't know what to say. Let me summarize what I want to say with the help of a few pointers:

1. The books were listed as "As New" and not "Brand New" - thus the books are used and may have minor imperfections and in no way can be termed as brand new.

2. The faults that you did mention have never been noticed by me - although I do believe you completely, however what I fail to understand is that you are actually seeking a compensation for "faults" that were never noticed by me. I am a collector myself and am not a professional seller. I am parting with a major portion of my collection to provide space for my new books.

3. Regarding the total price that you did pay, it was already heavily discounted. In fact, I received an offer of $1100 for the two books within hours after removing the listings (even prior to dispatching the books). However, I wanted to honour the deal and hence did not ask for any additional amount for the books. in fact, just FYI, I purchased just the SC about two years back for $850.

4. The faults that you have mentioned (with the traycase of FAB or some rubbing on the book cover in case of SC)are very negligible. I do not think, a compensation needs to be paid for books that were listed as "As New". After going through your email, I even called up Paypal to confirm what they mean by "As New" - they said the same thing what I do believe. As per Paypal, minor imperfections are common in case of books listed as "As New" as they are assumed to be used.

I sincerely hope you would understand and relate to it.

Thanks a lot.

I think the response is total crap saying that "As New" means the books can have flaws. And, frankly, I don't care that they got a higher offer or that they paid a higher $$ to acquire the books.

My perfect feedback rating is VERY important to me and I do not want to get into a pissing match with the seller. It looks as though the brick wall has already been built there. So....suggestions on how to handle this. These books are for Betts and I know I can get my $700 back even with me noting the flaws (really are not bad), but I've sure lost my profit that I envisioned for these 2.

Suggestions people??? Thanks for your input.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Thanks Jerome for this. Very timely.

Perhaps the members here can help to suggest how to deal with an eBay person I am having a problem with.

An eBayer (leaving out ID for now) from Canada listed 2 books I was interested in...S/L Skeleton Crew and S/L Buick 8. SC was listed at $499.99 and Buick 8 at $199.99. I offered $600 for both + S/H and we settled on $700 shipped from Canada. The books came today. The Buick 8 traycase has 2 corners scrunched (not horrible, but damaged nevertheless). The Skeleton Crew book itself has a small spot where the cover was rubbed raw creating a flaw. The auction links are below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeleton-Crew-St...item2eac6c7591

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Bui...item2eac6c74f4

I e-mailed the seller this:

Hi-

I got the Skeleton Crew and From a Buick 8 books today. There were some noticeable flaws on both books that were not listed in your eBay descriptions.
    On the Buick 8, two of the traycase corners were scrunched (the front top right and the read upper left near the spine).

On the Skeleton Crew, when I removed the dust jacket from the book, there is a small part of the book cover surface that is rubbed away and is definitely noticeable.
    I am sorry to complain, but I am quite particular about the condition of the books I purchase. Both auctions stated very fine or "as new" condition and did not note any flaws. I am willing to keep the books but would like some compensation for the damage. (I can send you pictures if you wish, but I will need a regular e-mail to send them to). I would like $100 refund and would like to resolve this in a way that we both can be satisfied. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you very much for working with me on this issue.

Best wishes,

David

He/She responded with this:

Dear wizardsrainbow,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation of receipt.

As regards your complaints, I don't know what to say. Let me summarize what I want to say with the help of a few pointers:

1. The books were listed as "As New" and not "Brand New" - thus the books are used and may have minor imperfections and in no way can be termed as brand new.

2. The faults that you did mention have never been noticed by me - although I do believe you completely, however what I fail to understand is that you are actually seeking a compensation for "faults" that were never noticed by me. I am a collector myself and am not a professional seller. I am parting with a major portion of my collection to provide space for my new books.

3. Regarding the total price that you did pay, it was already heavily discounted. In fact, I received an offer of $1100 for the two books within hours after removing the listings (even prior to dispatching the books). However, I wanted to honour the deal and hence did not ask for any additional amount for the books. in fact, just FYI, I purchased just the SC about two years back for $850.

4. The faults that you have mentioned (with the traycase of FAB or some rubbing on the book cover in case of SC)are very negligible. I do not think, a compensation needs to be paid for books that were listed as "As New". After going through your email, I even called up Paypal to confirm what they mean by "As New" - they said the same thing what I do believe. As per Paypal, minor imperfections are common in case of books listed as "As New" as they are assumed to be used.

I sincerely hope you would understand and relate to it.

Thanks a lot.

I think the response is total crap saying that "As New" means the books can have flaws. And, frankly, I don't care that they got a higher offer or that they paid a higher $$ to acquire the books.

My perfect feedback rating is VERY important to me and I do not want to get into a pissing match with the seller. It looks as though the brick wall has already been built there. So....suggestions on how to handle this. These books are for Betts and I know I can get my $700 back even with me noting the flaws (really are not bad), but I've sure lost my profit that I envisioned for these 2.

Suggestions people??? Thanks for your input.
    The good news is, your Ebay feedback CANNOT go negative as a buyer. The seller either can leave excellent or none at all so don't worry about that part. You however have the upper hand in leaving negative feedback and I would let the seller know you don't want to go in that direction but will if needed.

As for his "let me help with a few pointers" comment is pure BULLSHIT. If these sellers had any idea the group they are dealing with here they would keep stupidity in check.

As for the offer he received after agreeing to yours. Have him give you that contact so you can sell the set to them. I almost guarantee he can't produce the buyers name.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Several issues here:

First - I wouldn't worry about your feedback rating being affected. Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback. I think you are good there.

Second - She is full of crap regarding her descriptions and definition of "as new."

Third - Her return policy states that you get "merchandise credit" for returns. I'm not sure that is legal. I think she is bound to refund your money if you ask for it.

Fourth - You are not happy with the books and probably would not be happy selling them to a valued customer. If she won't cooperate I would ship the books back to her with delivery confirmation, tell my credit card company what is happening, get a conditional credit on my account and let the professionals deal with her sorry ass.

Just my opinion. There are certainly other ways to handle it but she sounds like a real loser and I would avoid a war of words which will likely get you nowhere.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, since this was an "off eBay" transaction (you see there were no actual bids, that means I cannot leave negative feedback either, right? Actually, just answered my own question. The auctions do not appear in My eBay for which I need to leave feedback.

I will ask him/her for the "other buyer." I thought of that as well. Otherwise, I can probably let them "know who I am" and I'm not some novice dipshit (maybe I am?) and give em both barrels . I don't dare ask for a refund as I wouldn't trust it at this point and don't think they would refund without wanting the books back first.

**edit** Bob, you posted while I was writing. Good food for thought.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you paid with your credit card though Wiz, you can get put in a refund request for the merchandise not matching what was described. Like was suggested earlier, get a delivery confirmation AND signature requirement if you can. Since this would go to Canada, I don't know what they will do. If you cannot get a confirmation of delivery through the US Postal Service, I know you can most likely get it through FedEx or UPS. In your position, I would suggest the return of the books and a refund of the purchase price. I would also contact your credit card company to stop/reverse the charges.

Since this purchase was "off the ebay grid" you have no worries at all regarding feedback one way or another. Oh, and I would let the woman know exactly who you are and also (since you know who SHE is) let her know that if she would like to do any sort of business (either buying or selling) with Betts that she needs to wake up and smell the coffee falling in her lap.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast