Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A long time ago I won a bid for a UK Regulators trade edition, but it never showed up; I never heard from the seller, etc. I got my money back from Paypal. I later found out the guy had died in a car accident. Stuff happens.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Any reason ever given on why the book wasn't mailed? Why go through the whole eBay rigamarole to not even ship the book? Honestly, sometimes I don't understand people.
    No reason was ever given. I have had no contact with him since the auction ended. I don't understand either but, as jhanic said, sometimes there are real life issues that get in the way. I am going to wait a while before posting negative feedback.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Any reason ever given on why the book wasn't mailed? Why go through the whole eBay rigamarole to not even ship the book? Honestly, sometimes I don't understand people.
    No reason was ever given. I have had no contact with him since the auction ended. I don't understand either but, as jhanic said, sometimes there are real life issues that get in the way. I am going to wait a while before posting negative feedback.
    Unless it has changed you cannot leave negative feedback. Once you received the refund, the transaction is considered void. The other party was probably just not happy about the price. Since there is no reprecusion other than losing the sale all he has to do is ignore you. That is one thing that ticks me off about eBay. I had a buyer never pay. Not only could I not leave him feedback, I wasn't able to relist or get my listing fees back for weeks. He was free to do it again.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

eBay is definitely biased towards the buyer rather than the seller when it comes to offering protection. I don't think thats a bad thing though - there are far more unscrupulous sellers than than there are non paying buyers.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Unless it has changed you cannot leave negative feedback. Once you received the refund, the transaction is considered void. The other party was probably just not happy about the price. Since there is no reprecusion other than losing the sale all he has to do is ignore you. That is one thing that ticks me off about eBay. I had a buyer never pay. Not only could I not leave him feedback, I wasn't able to relist or get my listing fees back for weeks. He was free to do it again.
    The option to leave feedback is still available to me. But it isn't on the default display anymore. It is buried under the "more actions" tab.

I decided to go ahead and leave him a negative feedback. I was able to post it with no problems.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I decided to go ahead and leave him a negative feedback. I was able to post it with no problems.
    You deserved an explanation.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear it

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The option to leave feedback is still available to me. But it isn't on the default display anymore. It is buried under the "more actions" tab.
    Weird.

Alsmost as if ebay does not want you to leave negative feedback.

I don't know if I would, or would not have not left negative feedback in this situation.

The seller has a perfect rating otherwise...so he or she has been honest thus far.

They have no items for sale.

The combination of the previous two statements makes me think this is more of a "something bad happened to the seller" vs. "the seller is a crook".

Just guesses on my part. Not saying I think you did the wrong thing....sometimes good people go bad as seen with steveohump on this site.
    Last edited by tippy4; 06-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Repeatedly listing forgeries. http://www.ebay.com/usr/antiqueshere

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't want to "out" the person yet, but over two weeks ago a member PM'd me inquiring about a Gunslinger 1/1 DJ. I responded on 5/20/2014 with price, payment info etc.
    On 5/31/2014 the person PM'd me and said:
    Shit! Sorry, I'm terrible at remembering to check over my messages.

Do you still have that DJ? If so what condition would you say it's in? I could send money tomorrow.
    On 6/1/2014 I responded:
    NF+
    My PP is:*******

It's now 6/5/2014 so I sold the DJ to someone else (I actually have more), but the person inquiring has bad forum decorum, and never posted a pic.
    Looks like the member sold the book.
    I won't sell a DJ to the person, nor to the buyer, not even for $300.

Good luck trying to turn your $10 Gunslinger into $1K. I'm sure someone else will help you with a NF+ DJ....

EDIT:
    Amazing how the person forgets to respond to the PM they sent, but sells the book immediately when someone responded.
    You know who you are. I gave you negative rep.
    What do you have to say?

Country
    Country Flag

The whole scenario stinks. I won't be dealing with that member either.

On the other hand Michaël is an excellent seller with great communication, item as described, fast shipping and willing to accept payments.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I don't want to "out" the person yet, but over two weeks ago a member PM'd me inquiring about a Gunslinger 1/1 DJ. I responded on 5/20/2014 with price, payment info etc.
    On 5/31/2014 the person PM'd me and said:
    Shit! Sorry, I'm terrible at remembering to check over my messages.

Do you still have that DJ? If so what condition would you say it's in? I could send money tomorrow.
    On 6/1/2014 I responded:
    NF+
    My PP is:*******

It's now 6/5/2014 so I sold the DJ to someone else (I actually have more), but the person inquiring has bad forum decorum, and never posted a pic.
    Looks like the member sold the book.
    I won't sell a DJ to the person, nor to the buyer, not even for $300.

Good luck trying to turn your $10 Gunslinger into $1K. I'm sure someone else will help you with a NF+ DJ....

EDIT:
    Amazing how the person forgets to respond to the PM they sent, but sells the book immediately when someone responded.
    You know who you are. I gave you negative rep.
    What do you have to say?
    This is the LAST place you burn someone. So far everyone I have dealt with is a straight shooter. WHen your ready RF... let us all know so we can stay away as well!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice BrighterDeathNow will become famous soon enough

Hello all! Let's just get this all out. It was me! Seriously!

Can someone please explain to me what EXACTLY I did wrong?

As far as the DJ, is it because I didn't send Randall a PM about no longer needing the DJ because I decided to sell the book without it??? Really?? Huh, didn't know I needed permission to change my mind. Oh well.

As for the book itself...... I sold it to the first person who responded to my post. I did nothing wrong, so those of you who were hootin' and a hollerin' can seriously @&$! off. Who knew a book could make a bunch of grown men (I'm assuming) act like children fighting over a toy.

And since you've all got your torches and pitchforks out already, I may as well pack my shit and leave.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There is no issue with a selling an item to the first person who responds to a sales offer.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice BrighterDeathNow will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    There is no issue with a selling an item to the first person who responds to a sales offer.
    Well, apparently HERE, it is. :/

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrighterDeathNow View Post
    I think that was because people didn't realize at the time that the private message from the ultimate buyer was sent well before the public message was posted by a potential buyer. If anyone still takes issue, I would assume they are missing that very important bit of information.

I'm pretty sure this is one reason that some sellers specify the means of communication they will consider (either post, PM, or email), but in your case, it didn't matter. You went with the first message received regardless of means.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that was because people didn't realize at the time that the private message from the ultimate buyer was sent well before the public message was posted by a potential buyer. If anyone still takes issue, I would assume they are missing that very important bit of information.

I'm pretty sure this is one reason that some sellers specify the means of communication they will consider (either post, PM, or email), but in your case, it didn't matter. You went with the first message received regardless of means.
    Yeah the whole story helps. When I first came on here about 9 months ago I was called out as someone to "watch out for" as I made a mistake in a post. I have been very careful to respect everyone and make sure I do not "step on toes" as I really enjoy it here and like everyone I have become "virtual friends" with. Anyway I do hope it works out for you as well mate... cheers., kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as the dust jacket inquiry issue, I think the proper etiquette is to shoot a note to the potential seller saying that you've decided to sell the book and therefore have changed your mind about purchasing a DJ, and thanking them for their time and effort. This would be especially important, along with an apology, in the case where you've essentially committed to paying for the item the following day (as implied in the earlier post by Jerome).

Country
    Country Flag

As far as the dust jacket inquiry issue, I think the proper etiquette is to shoot a note to the potential seller saying that you've decided to sell the book and therefore have changed your mind about purchasing a DJ, and thanking them for their time and effort. This would be especially important, along with an apology, in the case where you've essentially committed to paying for the item the following day (as implied in the earlier post by Jerome).
    Agreed. I made that mistake once to (it was to Biomeg) and it is not cool. I have since said sorry and am happy he has forgiven my folly. Respect here is really all you need... great people roam these virtual halls and I for one hope to be welcome for many more years. A sorry does go a long way. trust me
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Hello all! Let's just get this all out. It was me! Seriously!

Can someone please explain to me what EXACTLY I did wrong?

As far as the DJ, is it because I didn't send Randall a PM about no longer needing the DJ because I decided to sell the book without it??? Really?? Huh, didn't know I needed permission to change my mind. Oh well.

As for the book itself...... I sold it to the first person who responded to my post. I did nothing wrong, so those of you who were hootin' and a hollerin' can seriously @&$! off. Who knew a book could make a bunch of grown men (I'm assuming) act like children fighting over a toy.

And since you've all got your torches and pitchforks out already, I may as well pack my shit and leave.
    I don't know you, and I don't know all of the details. However, I have read every post regarding this series of events. I am willing to explain, from my perspective, what it appears that you did wrong or at least not right.

Everyone here loves a great deal. Most people here don't like to see others being taken advantage of though. You bought a 1st/1st Gunslinger from a "friend" for $10. That looks as though you took advantage of the ignorance of your "friend." Maybe it wasn't like that, but that is how it appears.

You then made a deal for a dustjacket with Jerome that you reneged on. You are certainly allowed to change your mind without permission. You should have notified the seller that you did so though.

You then listed the book for sale in the classified section for sale at 2:48. At 3: 34 Michaël asked to see pictures. At 9:43 you posted that you had included pictures and were asking Rick about his email address seemingly in regard to the book. At 10:23 Nick announced that he had bought the book. That time-line doesn't jive with selling to the first person who displayed an interest. Perhaps Nick really was the first person to inquire. The time-line suggests you were still shopping the book around several hours after that inquiry.

The irony of Nick being the buyer was the coup de grâce to the whole debacle. In case you are unaware he reneged on several deals a while back.

No need to take your ball and go home. We all make mistakes. It does help to own them though. Nick has done a good job of living down his past mistakes. I have dealt with him and had no problem. You can certainly do the same. Just be more clear and communicative in your dealings.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That and don't tell everyone to @&$! off.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

BDN sold the book just fine IMHO & Nick's transgressions are very old and worn out news. Burning a bridge with Jerome is never a good idea though - you made a big mistake there.

We try to keep it polite here but the old guard can be a tough crowd. And...I don't know about everyone else but I absolutely feel like a little kid when it comes to the excitement of book buying.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I could (and maybe should) have specified that I was interested in buying but on the other hand - what possible other reason could there be for wanting to see pics of a copy of The Gunslinger that is for sale? It's not as if I have no clue what the book looks like. But the major issue here, as others pointed out in a much more eloquent way, is lack of communication. You will have noticed that this is a rather tight-knit community. Give yourself some time to get acquainted and establish a base of mutual trust. Treat others the way you would want to be treated yourself. This does not mean you need to treat everyone 'with velvet gloves' as we would say in the Netherlands. We're all adults here and we can handle a little heat and verbal abuse

'Drama' like this almost always arises when someone who's fairly new to the forum jumps right in, selling stuff and not conforming to a bunch of -admittedly- unwritten rules. This wasn't the first time and it won't be the last

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

While Brian is correct, I did renege on a few purchases awhile ago - a select few still seems hell bent on acting like I still do it (their entitled to whatever opinion they want to have, fine by me). However reality couldn't be different. I've bought from plenty of people since then and not once had an issue.

What I DIDNT realize is brighter is the one who bought the book for 10 dollars... It makes me somewhat uncomfortable going forward, and it does make me somewhat uncomfortable about the "leaving" comment.

I had sent a PM first stating I would be interested in buying it at 250. Then realizing 300 wasn't so bad, I sent another shortly after, stating I'd buy it at 300, still being before I saw michaels comment.

I will say however the response from brighter did come after he posted pictures, but I cannot comment on what he was doing or his thought process on the posting of the pictures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast