Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I think he deserves it, and he'd get my vote if I had one, but if I had to place a bet, I suspect they're going to give it to Tim Thomas.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it just me, or does the new Houston Rockets logo remind you of anything?

I didn't notice it until I watched their spanking of Kobe's powder puffs this weekend, but I thought I'd broach the question here.

I see what you see.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't see what you see. I'm thick.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

...with a tower growing in the middle of it

Does Colorado regret firing Joel Quenneville as Avalanche coach yet? I said at the time that it was a terrible move because (a) coaching was not their problem, and (b) he happens to be an excellent coach. In one season he has taken the Blackhawks to the Western Conference Finals in this, their first year back in the playoffs in five years.

It's not like he was handed a playoff-ready team in Chicago either. They are an extremely young team but he got them to buy into his system and it's now paying dividends. They will have their hands full with either Detroit or Anaheim, but they're there, and that's a lot more than can be said for the team that fired Quenneville.

I don't care one way or the other about the Blackhawks, but it is nice to see an original six team succeed. It's good for the league.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Is it just me, or does the new Houston Rockets logo remind you of anything?

I didn't notice it until I watched their spanking of Kobe's powder puffs this weekend, but I thought I'd broach the question here.
    ALL HAIL THE CRIMSON KING Houston Rockets!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I抣l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I am free to root for them now that the evil Olajuwon is gone.

And for the record, I wish Artest was back in New York.

Country
    Country Flag

I see it now.. I see it now!!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a diabolical plan to eliminate the National Basketball Association and create chaotic evil.

Country
    Country Flag

The Prim is rising again, it's rising again!

It's a diabolical plan to eliminate the National Basketball Association and create chaotic evil.
    Maybe that's what drew Artest to Houston.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I would kill have players like Artest and Brooks, or even Scola and Battier, on The Knicks.

I have plenty of respect for Artest's playing abilities because he is a great player without a doubt. It's his willingness to assault fans I can't condone. It's hard to forget that incident. I'm not suggesting he'd ever do it again, but it's unforgivable that he did it once. Given the harsh punishments in the NBA for throwing a punch at another player after Kermit Washington cleaned Rudy Tomjanovich's clock, I was somewhat shocked that Artest and Jackson weren't suspended for life.

Speaking of suspensions, and switching sports here for a minute, I am getting a little ticked off that the talk of a Michael Vick comeback is getting geared up with his impending release from prison next week. As far as I understand the situation, the man has yet to serve a single day of suspension from the NFL. He didn't play last year not because he was suspended, but because he was in prison. I expect Roger Goddell to still issue a NFL penalty on Vick, and personally, I hope it's severe. After that he can go play for the Raiders or the Cowboys or whatever team is hiring criminals at that time.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think the two incidents are really analogous.

1. The punch Kermit Washington threw at Tomjanovich was a potentially life-ending assault. No one's life was imperiled by Artest escalating that on-court confrontation by heading into the stands.
    2. The Artest situation was initially provoked by the fans, not the players on the court. Remember, these are some of the same people who burn down their city for fun/riot in celebration.

Yeah, Artest's reaction after the incident was immature, but what do you expect? He was a kid when that happened.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see how Michael Vick could possibly play this season, even if he's eventually reinstated by the league. I still don't get why there are Jets fans who wanted him to come in to run some weird, single wing offense variation on what their intra-division rival, The Dolphins, are doing.

I don't think the two incidents are really analogous.

1. The punch Kermit Washington threw at Tomjanovich was a potentially life-ending assault. No one's life was imperiled by Artest escalating that on-court confrontation by heading into the stands.
    2. The Artest situation was initially provoked by the fans, not the players on the court. Remember, these are some of the same people who burn down their city for fun/riot in celebration.

Yeah, Artest's reaction after the incident was immature, but what do you expect? He was a kid when that happened.
    The essential difference being what, that Washington is more adept at throwing a decent punch than Artest or Jackson? In my eyes, at least Washington hit a fellow athlete, not some jerk in the stands. It doesn't matter what the fans do (or what city they do it in) unless a fan comes out on to the court and a player has to defend himself there is no excuse for physically assaulting a fan. Artest and Jackson were not attacked in any real sense of the word. They chose to go into the stands and they chose to throw punches at fans. That nobody in the stands got as hurt as Rudy Tomjanovich did is a matter of luck, not any superior restraint on Artest or Jackson's part that puts them above Washington. To say nobody's life was imperiled is easy to say after the fact, but it doesn't seem to be a realistic assessment to me.

As for "he's a kid, what did I expect?" I expected him to act like a professional. He was 25 when it happened. There are many players in the league a lot younger than 25 and none of them find it necessary to fight the spectators.

I don't see how Michael Vick could possibly play this season, even if he's eventually reinstated by the league. I still don't get why there are Jets fans who wanted him to come in to run some weird, single wing offense variation on what their intra-division rival, The Dolphins, are doing.
    I don't understand that either. I thought the Baltimore/Miami playoff game last year made it abundantly clear that the "Wild Fad" offense is nothing but a gimmick and when it is faced with a solid defensive scheme, it's useless. Ryan's defensive maneuvers shut it down completely and the Dolphins were forced to rely on Pennington's arm. For all the "Chad is great, the Jets are stupid" talk last year, when it came down to Chad having to run the offense without the stupid gimmicks, the Dolphins were completely ineffective. I still don't understand how that crap worked week after week anyway. I see college teams run that offense every saturday, and every saturday I see college defenses shut it down. I couldn't understand how pro defenses couldn't figure it out until Rex Ryan sent the Ravens out there to do it. That game is now a blue print for the rest of the league to follow.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    and a player has to defend himself there is no excuse for physically assaulting a fan unless the game is hockey then it is part of the game.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I抣l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The more I think about it, the more I replay both incidents in my head. The more I do that, the less I understand how the Artest incident can be seen as not imperiling anyone's life.

In the words of the great NY sportscaster Warner Wolf, let's go to the videotape...

#1 Artest/Jackson attack fans...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQOajEh3uU"]YouTube - Pistons vs Pacer Brawl November 19, 2004[/ame]

#2 Kermit Washington decks Rudy Tomjanovich

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqUZ1IAA_8"]YouTube - The Kermit Washington Story - Redemption 4 of 7[/ame]

I make no arguments that the punch Washington threw wasn't brutal, it was. However, how can you look at that scene of utter chaos in the stands where it is easily imaginable that someone would be crushed to death and say that nobody's life was in any danger? So a fan threw a paper cup with beer in it at Artest. Big fucking deal. He's a 25 year old millionaire professional athlete. Grow a thicker skin and suck it up.

The difference between the incidents is that Washington put Tomjanovich's life in peril, Artest put hundreds of people's lives in peril. You're right, they are not analogous. One is much much worse.

Gunslinger Apprentice <么> bango skank <么> is on a distinguished road <么> bango skank <么>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you guys dont care, and it's a bit of topic, but...

Sunderland are still in the prem!!! (football. Or soccer for my american friends.) and Newcastle are relegated. There should be some kind of celebration to mark this wonderful day. cant stop smiling.

heard a joke the other day by the way. what's the difference between an arsanist and Newcastle Utd.?
    an arsanist wouldnt loose his last ten matches.
    MWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, they had a story on BBC World about that.

Is there going to be some mass-suicide in Newcastle now that their justification for living has been pretty much wiped out?

Gunslinger Apprentice <么> bango skank <么> is on a distinguished road <么> bango skank <么>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

we can only hope.

I've stll grin on. haha hahahaha wahahahaha MWAWAHAHAHA!!!!!

"whats yellow on the out side, black and white on the inside, and funny as fuck?" Newcastle Utd away fans on a coach to middlesbro.

heheheheehehehe
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but one thing I like about is the relegation system. I would love to see something like that in North American sports, e.g. the Detroit Lions being forced to play in the CFL if they don't win more than four games next season.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but one thing I like about is the relegation system. I would love to see something like that in North American sports, e.g. the Detroit Lions being forced to play in the CFL if they don't win more than four games next season.

Or perhaps go the opposite root of the unneeded expansion which brought "parity" (which means "mediocrity") to our pro sports. We should have contraction instead of expansion. If the Lions and the Rams can't win four games between them, they should have to become one team.

Obviously I am being facetious, in part. I do believe contraction is the way to go in several sports. Having so many teams waters down the talent level. The argument often runs that it's exciting to have different teams be competitive each year instead of having dynasties. I think in the era of free agency, different teams can compete every year anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast