Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    I thought it sounded WNBA-ish, too. That, and the chearleading dance team for the Bucks is called Energee. So yes, I have definite feminine associations with that name.

Yeah, they do get a lot of thunder, since they're in Tornado Alley.

I'm with you on the Jazz, and I'll add the Lakers to that list.
    The Lakers is definitely a stupid one. Worked great for Minneapolis, not so much L.A. The one I always find interesting is the Rockets. Not sure why the team was named that in San Diego but it works perfectly for Houston (home of NASA).

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Oh, yeah. We have weather out the wazoo. I really wanted Thunderbirds, which would name them after the 45th stationed here. They have a really killer looking logo that could be done up a bit and would look really good. Plus would be tied into the Indian heritage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_In...United_States)

ANYTHING but the Barons. Yeah, we really want to be tied to Oil Barons with gas prices the way they are. We really want to be the most hated team in America.

And the logo isn't all that great, but maybe it won't look so bad on the uniforms. And they can always change it in a few years.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Oklahoma lost to Texas

Oklahoma State beat Missouri

Life
    Is
    Good

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Not that I am gloating - well actually I am gloating - after all, my team is out of the playoffs, but it was sweet watching the Tampa Bay Rays have there way with the Red Sox at Fenway Park. And did you notice SK reading a book in the stands - I believe he was getting more out of that book than from his beloved Sox who were being man-handled by a bunch of boys! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Yay, Rays! They're my AL team, and the Dodgers are my NL favorite. What a series that would be, hee.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

As I've said before, I am not a Rays fan but living in Tampa I do follow the Rays (unlike a LOT of people in my area who will now claim they've been Rays fans all along).

My AL team has always been and always will be the Yankees, and as a Yankees fan it brings me great pleasure to see the Red Sox lose.

I did notice SK's apparent disinterest in the game. So much for his prediction from a few months ago that the Sox would win the division and the Rays would probably get the Wild Card spot because of Boston's "experience". Experience is a great talking point for sportscasters, but what happened in years past means absolutely zero once the first pitch is thrown in the present. The Rays are beating them silly in every aspect of the game.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    As I've said before, I am not a Rays fan but living in Tampa I do follow the Rays (unlike a LOT of people in my area who will now claim they've been Rays fans all along).

My AL team has always been and always will be the Yankees, and as a Yankees fan it brings me great pleasure to see the Red Sox lose.

I did notice SK's apparent disinterest in the game. So much for his prediction from a few months ago that the Sox would win the division and the Rays would probably get the Wild Card spot because of Boston's "experience". Experience is a great talking point for sportscasters, but what happened in years past means absolutely zero once the first pitch is thrown in the present. The Rays are beating them silly in every aspect of the game.
    Jim Rome was ripping on SK this morning for being a 'fan' and reading a book after the third inning...

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Dodgers...

I thought for sure the momentum had switched over to our side, but apparently game 3 was only a bad day for the Phillies. Oh well.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It was kind of funny watching the mass exodus out of the stadium in Game #3 during the 8th inning and then last night in game #4 they showed people leaving after the 6th inning. So much for being Reds Sox fans. Every Yankee game I ever attended, even if they were getting tromped, I stayed to the end because I am a true fan and have been for (gulp) 50 years - yep since I was 5 I have been rooting for the Bronx Bombers through thick and thin.

There are a few Sox fans here at work and I did not gloat - never would with them - but every time they had the opportunity to gloat on me they have. That's the difference between us!

I'd love to see the WS be the Rays - Dodgers but that is getting less and less likely. I'd love to see Joe Torre take the Dodgers to the WS though as a slap in the face to Yankee management that snubbed him after last year!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    It was kind of funny watching the mass exodus out of the stadium in Game #3 during the 8th inning and then last night in game #4 they showed people leaving after the 6th inning. So much for being Reds Sox fans. Every Yankee game I ever attended, even if they were getting tromped, I stayed to the end because I am a true fan and have been for (gulp) 50 years - yep since I was 5 I have been rooting for the Bronx Bombers through thick and thin.
    I too went to many many games at "The Big Ball Orchard in the South Bronx" and never once did I leave before the final out was recorded whether the Yanks won or lost. I don't leave any sporting event until it's over. I paid to see a whole game and I stay to see a whole game.

I'd love to see the WS be the Rays - Dodgers but that is getting less and less likely. I'd love to see Joe Torre take the Dodgers to the WS though as a slap in the face to Yankee management that snubbed him after last year!
    While part of me would like to see Torre return to the Series, I just cannot bring myself to root for a team with Manny Ramirez on it. I will be the first to admit, Manny is one of the greatest hitters of this or any other era (his stats make that case all by themselves). However, the man is a complete degenerate. Fighting with his teammates in the dugout is bad enough, but the day he put his hands on the team's traveling secretary is the day he proved he is without any class whatsoever. I won't feel the least bit bad for him if he misses the World Series.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post

Jim Rome was ripping on SK this morning for being a 'fan' and reading a book after the third inning...
    Ugh. I can't stand Jim Rome.

Although, what he said about his show holds true. The first week or so listening to it I absolutely despised him, and wondered how on earth he managed to command such a large following. After a few months I simply disliked his program.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

3 more outs for the Phillies!

<------ Phillies Phan big-big

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

[QUOTE=R_of_G;268399] I don't leave any sporting event until it's over. I paid to see a whole game and I stay to see a whole game. [quote]

Amen to that. I've seen plenty of game-changing moments in the last inning to prove that it ain't over til it's over. (My favorite was in a game against KC when Joe Mauer hit a dinger to tie the game. The people next to us, who had gotten up and left, came slinking back five minutes later with sheepish grins on their faces. We ended up winning that game.)

I never understood people filing out after the 6th or 7th or 8th innings. Fools.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post

Ugh. I can't stand Jim Rome.

Although, what he said about his show holds true. The first week or so listening to it I absolutely despised him, and wondered how on earth he managed to command such a large following. After a few months I simply disliked his program.
    Not a huge fan myself. He gets me through the Collen Cowheard commercials decent enough though. Collen Cowheard is the man!

This time of the sports year is the best. Baseball is finally starting to wind down and I wont have to listen or watch a whole lot more about it. Football is in full swing. I have just enough interest to play a fantasy league and do the picks around here, drink some beers and catch the Sunday games. However, living in a city with one major league team the anticipation of basketball season (especially this year) is making me strangely turned on as we speak. To me its Blazers, only Blazers and any other team in any other organization, college or professional can kiss off.

See us both in the black

Exactly Laura

What I love are the people who show up late and leave before the game is over. What the hell is that? Why bother showing up at all if you aren't going to get there until the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th?

My Mood
    Dead

Oh, dear lord, I hate that. I hate it so much that when I see it, it actually pisses me off. I know it's their money and their choice, and that they have contributed funds towards the team, but still.

And when the team is winning or competing for a title, you know those are the first people to brag about how much of a fan they are. Ha!

My Mood
    Dead

Haha, don't even get me started on bandwagon jumpers. I remember sitting in the Diamond View section (2nd best seating tier) but paying home run porch prices back in the early 90's because nobody was attending games. I know that part of it was the strike, but people still weren't coming back even after attendance at other parks picked up again. The team wasn't good, and there were no bandwagoners. It was just the few thousand of us who still attended because we loved the team.

I'm still happy to see the stands as full as they are these days, though, because it means my guys can feel pretty damn good over bringing in such a crowd, even though it is a small-market team.

Oh I agree, it's good for the team's morale to see the seats packed, but the part that gets to me is actually having to sit in the stands with these people and talk to them when they know absolutely zero about the sport in question and/or the team but they think they know everything.

It made me stop going to Lightning games for a long time. I don't even like the Lightning, but I love hockey so I'd go when there were players on other teams I'd want to see play. Once the Lightning won the Cup you'd think that victory suddenly bestowed knowledge upon the fans. It was not fun to deal with.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

6 more outs and the sox are done. I can then enjoy the winter in peace.

Hold on Rays, I'm tired of seeing their perennial 5 o'clock shadows.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Dead

C'monnn, Wheeler!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm starting to fall out of like with Plaxico.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Not a Sox fan myself, but you have to admit, those are some damn fine beards. C'mon, who has a better beard in the MLB than Kevin Youkillis? Who has a better beard in all sports?!?!?

See us both in the black

My Mood
    Dead

RAYS! Garza!

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Not a Sox fan myself, but you have to admit, those are some damn fine beards. C'mon, who has a better beard in the MLB than Kevin Youkillis? Who has a better beard in all sports?!?!?
    Wait until the NHL playoffs and you'll see much better beards. Speaking of Youkilis, what is the deal with the way he shakes his booty before the pitcher throws the ball? It's downright disturbing to watch. It also is exactly the same every time and seems a lot like OCD. It reminds me of Mahmoud Abdul Raouf preparing to shoot foul shots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast