• He hasn't always been

12 18.75%
  • He is as much a villian as possible.

21 32.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: The Crimson King *spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    It was a ridiculously disappointing ending.

On Roland going up against a deity like opponent - King could have neutered the CK's powers a bit with the explanation that being so close to the Tower for so long had hindered his abilities. A metaphysical battle as mentioned by the user^ above would have worked wonderfully too.

Pretty much anything but what we got. I'm hoping the films rectify that.
    I could not agree more. The sheer amount of build up for the King was totally wasted on account of what we actually got at the end. Santa clause with grenades.....

To answer the main question though, he was definitely a Villain, I mean it was his people who were bringing about the destruction of not just the universe, but all of existence itself. I'm pretty sure that is definitely Villain behaviour, however disappointing the being known a the Crimson King himself turned out to be in the end.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I was personally disappointed by the end myself.

I MUST ask..."Would we be better entertained by a "Mad Max" or "Die Hard" type ending?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was personally disappointed by the end myself.

I MUST ask..."Would we be better entertained by a "Mad Max" or "Die Hard" type ending?

To be honest I 've no idea haha, I never did know what to expect at the end and I don't that that King knew himself really....

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

As an answer to my own question..a mix woul have been nice...see Roland kick a little ass and a bit of "Twilight Zone" work too. But the actual ending was...lame. You gotta understand...I began this journey with the original Gunslinger...I waited 21 years for this story to end.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

As an answer to my own question..a mix woul have been nice...see Roland kick a little ass and a bit of "Twilight Zone" work too. But the actual ending was...lame. You gotta understand...I began this journey with the original Gunslinger...I waited 21 years for this story to end.
    Wow...yeah if I had started back with the original gunslinger then the ending really would have been a kick In the ass all the build up of the crimson king just wasted!

He is as much a villian as possible.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes... but there ARE aspects of CK that I like. Satan's best move as to convince humanity that he doesn't exist. King ALMOST...over 21 years, convinced me that RF was his Satan ( The Stand). CK was... a "story" until late in the DT series. I must give King that. But then RF's boss was a paper tiger...that I didn't like...especially in the wake of RF being trashed by "a-hungry spider."

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

My two biggest disappointments with the DT series are how RF and CK are dealt with.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.. thank you Tommy...I forgot that
    Spoiler:
    CK was dispatched with a simple eraser...lame!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Really if you think about it though, some of the greatest villians ever were eventually defeated by some really small act. In LOTR, Sauron was taken down by a ring being thrown into a volcano. In Star Wars, the emperor was destroyed by being flung over a railing. The Wicked Witch of the west melted from a little bit of water.

These villains are always touted as being all-powerful and unstoppable but the good guys have to win eventually so the writers must give them some way to be defeated.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Really if you think about it though, some of the greatest villians ever were eventually defeated by some really small act. In LOTR, Sauron was taken down by a ring being thrown into a volcano. In Star Wars, the emperor was destroyed by being flung over a railing. The Wicked Witch of the west melted from a little bit of water.

These villains are always touted as being all-powerful and unstoppable but the good guys have to win eventually so the writers must give them some way to be defeated.

The man makes a point!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I agree.

Edited for clarity and stupidity...

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But Tommy...
    Spoiler:
    But Roland didn't defeat CK...Patrick did.

Don't make me get out a bottle of Nair and a bottle of White Out to eliminate you!!! LOL

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    That's the good thing about we hairy guys, Tommy...Patrick's eraser would have worn out!

But Tommy...
    Spoiler:

Don't make me get out a bottle of Nair and a bottle of White Out to eliminate you!!! LOL

Spoiler:
    That's the good thing about we hairy guys, Tommy...Patrick's eraser would have worn out!
    I would require a big eraser indeed.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

* Sends Tommy a gift certificate for a Brazilian.

Gunslinger Apprentice kaufen is on a distinguished road

Anything book related certainly doesn't need spoiler tags here, considering everyone should have read all the books by the time they come here
    Last edited by kaufen; 06-12-2017 at 04:34 AM.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes.. thank you Tommy...I forgot that
    Spoiler:
    CK was dispatched with a simple eraser...lame!
    I don't know about lame.

It's - I mean, the logic itself - is like, you know, when people, say, pay for a renowned expert's consultation and then say: what, he got all this money - for what? writing those two lines on a piece of paper? it took him ten minutes! - Forgetting the decades of hard work, training, acquiring knowledge, etc etc, that finally enabled him to make people value his opinion that high.

Same here, you see - it's not that thing in your spoiler that defeated CK, it's everything Roland and his ka-tet has been doing; plus generations of gunslingers before him, since they shaped both Roland the way he was, and the world the way it finally let Roland bring all the necessary ingredients together. That
    Spoiler:
    is, for me, the best thing of all - there is both irony to this, and - at last - some strangely dignified humility. I so feared the saga would go all superhero at the end - I am so grateful it never did.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And besides, while it was Patrick's doing, it was Roland's idea. He used Patrick and his power to defeat the Crimson King. (Defending them both from the sneeches, in the process. One miss and Patrick could have been mincemeat along with the plans.) In a very real sense, Patrick became Roland's gun.

I confess I hoped for something more from all the major villains though.

I wanted more from CK as a character as well. Such good build up but he was probably not always a villain, he just has lived too long and has gone bat-shit crazy.

Which actor would you cast for CK?

Traveler LankyMcAllister16 will become famous soon enough LankyMcAllister16 will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Fine

He was a disappointing lunatic. Randall Flagg should have been Roland's final obstacle to reaching the Tower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10