Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1920s

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The Iron Horse
    seconded

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Salomé (1922)
    Alla Nazimova and Charles Bryant

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Speedy - great Harold Lloyd piece.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’ll second Jekyll and Hyde.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)
    Rex Ingram
    2nd

Country
    Country Flag

That's 50. We have 30 remaining spots.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Laugh, Clown, Laugh
    Another great Chaney performance!
    Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second The Pilgrim.

Country
    Country Flag

The Last of the Mohicans (1920)
    Maurice Tourneur

Country
    Country Flag

Street Angel (1928)
    Frank Borzage

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

Seven Chances (1925)
    Buster Keaton

Country
    Country Flag

The Black Pirate (1926)
    Albert Parker

Watch trailer:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I know it's technically considered a documentary, but this is too surreal and stylized to be one:

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
    Dziga Vertov

Watch trailer:
    2nd

Our Dancing Daughters

Some early Crawford!

Country
    Country Flag

The Red Kimono (1925)
    Walter Lang and Dorothy Davenport

Watch trailer:

Country
    Country Flag

The Penalty (1920)
    Wallace Worsley

Country
    Country Flag

Rio Rita (1929)
    Luther Reed

Watch trailer:

Not as famous of the Marx Brothers or other comedy groups, Wheeler and Woolsey deserve a mention too.

Country
    Country Flag

Have to get more seconding done, so I think I might be changing the waiting period for seconds from two to one tomorrow afternoon.

I've seen a few silent films but nowhere near enough so I am near being tapped out for nominations. I've seen films from 1910s back to the King John (1899). We have the list, we just need seconds is all. And I searched silent films on YT and found a playlist with near every nominee and seconded film on both lists. Very easy access to most of these.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I guess I need to watch more 20s movies. I missed the beginning of the nominations but the ones I was going to nominate got in pretty early on.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Heather, sorry you couldn’t make it, but happy to know your nominations are in. If you see anything else on the list that’s waiting to be seconded which catches your eye, please go ahead. I’m not exactly tapped out or scraping the bottom of the barrel, but most of my upcoming nominations would be more obscure, so I’d prefer us to focus on seconding what we do have, since we do have a very good list already.

Oh and 1920s movies are great, and one hope of mine is that this gets people watching more of them as a result of this tournament. They are some of the more magical and truly singular kinds of movies, but for some might take getting used to the different kinds of acting and storytelling, which is understandable.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I nominate The Scarlet Letter (1926) dir. Victor Seastrom (Sjostrom)
    seconded

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominating another Buster Keaton classic: Battling Butler

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Seven Chances.

Country
    Country Flag

I’ll second Spies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast