• Sam Elliot-Sam Houston-Gone to Texas

1 1.75%
  • Robert Duvall-Gus McCrae-Lonesome Dove

5 8.77%
  • Clint Eastwood-Josey Wales-The Outlaw Josey Wales

27 47.37%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best Western Movie Ever

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I just received Lonesome Dove on DVD saturday, and haven't even finished watching Part 1 "Leaving".

I know exactly what you mean.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Westerns aren't my favorite movie genre, but Big Jake was pretty good.

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

when i was a baby i would cry all night long, i had some sort of stomach disease that you only get as an infant. anyway, my dad woul;d have no way to keep me quiet, but he would turn on Tombstone, and i would queit down and watch it. i did this with no other movie. nowadays, i still like it more than the other westerns.

John F. Kennedy susie is on a distinguished road susie's Avatar

sergio leone's "the man with no name" stories are my favorite. apparently i was obsessed with it as a kid, even though i couldn't understand english then. what's not to love? clint eastwood looking smoldering in a poncho (lol), andn ennio morricone's amazing themes.
    "where the road is dark and the seed is sowed
    where the gun is cocked and the bullets cold
    where the miles are marked in the blood and gold
    i'll meet you further on up the road"
    -themaninblack

Gunslinger Apprentice devo133 is on a distinguished road devo133's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    sergio leone's "the man with no name" stories are my favorite. apparently i was obsessed with it as a kid, even though i couldn't understand english then. what's not to love? clint eastwood looking smoldering in a poncho (lol), andn ennio morricone's amazing themes.
    I feel the same way, except for the Eastwood part. He was a badass tho Ennio Morricone's Il Triello is amazing. I'm glad Tarantino put it in Kill Bill. Here's the greatest showdown ever with Il Triello in the background.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=DqscIKOnsno"]YouTube - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Final Showdown[/ame]

John F. Kennedy susie is on a distinguished road susie's Avatar

tarantino is such a hack... but i adore him, because he doesn't try to hide the fact that everything in his movies is stolen -- stolen with love.

and THAT, right there, is my all-time, favorite cinematic moment. you have no idea how happy you made me by posting it. XD i love it even though i've seen it about a billionmilliongazillion times.
    "where the road is dark and the seed is sowed
    where the gun is cocked and the bullets cold
    where the miles are marked in the blood and gold
    i'll meet you further on up the road"
    -themaninblack

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    Well, I liked Two Mules for Sister Sarah. Maybe its a girl thing to like that one.
    I loved that one,too! Maybe it is a girl thing...

I voted for Clint Eastwood in the poll. It was a tough choice though, all those fellas are classic cowboys.

I love westerns. Mostly the Eastwood classics, not so much the really old westerns. I have really enjoyed the likes of Tombstone, Silverado, and Unforgiven; but I really hated The Quick and the Dead and Young Guns was a bit like fast-food...you got the taste of it, but it wasnt really satisfying.
    I hope to see more good westerns come from the studios. I'm looking forward to seeing the new 3:10 from Yuma.
    I think the genre will be around for a while, since it strikes a chord in many hearts that really doesnt come out with other stories. Something about the wild, open West is still magical to imagine.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

not sure that dusk till dawn is a western but it was delightfully tacky

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

dusk till dawn is seriously NOT a western.

I just heard Renee Zellweger will be coming out in a new western sometime soon. i just figure if they're putting her in a western it must be a big studio with some money to invest. I'm looking forward to it.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

Default Favourite Western Films

This one is bound to have been done before ... (I should imagine!) but what the heck.
    Its not unreasonable to expect that fans of the Dark Tower might be fond of the odd Western film or two ... especially if the films in question are a little odd.
    In no particular order I really like..

1) ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST That haunting harmonica, the mysterious gunslinger, the evil Henry Fonda, the long shots that go on forever, that dry desert, the music. Its epic and wonderous!

2) FISTFULL OF DOLLARS Had to have a man with no name movie in here. Clint is great and while the plot has been done to death, it is still a classic.

3) THE QUICK AND THE DEAD the myth of the fast draw, Sharon Stone in those leather pants, Gene Hackman as the bad guy (again!) he he he ... top stuff

4) UNFORGIVEN damn, can't resist Clint films ... and I was going to put Pale Rider in as well, but that just fills out my top five with no John Wayne movie (which wouldn't be right!) ... Morgan Freeman is brilliant in this, but when isn't he brilliant (okay, Dreamcatcher ... no!!!)

5) TRUE GRIT is a classic. My daughter always cries when Little Blackie dies, and you always wonder what drinking water from a horse's hoofprint would be like.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Rider, cool thread idea!...although a nearly identical one was already started some time ago. I'm going to merge this with that one, and hopefully some of the newer members can post their favorite westerns as well

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

Thanks Feverishparade, I just knew something like it would have been done before ... cheers for the merge!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

unforgiven

hands down. no questions. end of discussion.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy

ruth, that looks interesting, what's it about? how new is it?

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    ruth, that looks interesting, what's it about? how new is it?
    It's set in the Outback in what I think is supposed to be Australia's transitional period between gigantic penal colony and settled nation. It's about a band of ruthless Irish outlaws that are being hunted down as they hide out among aboriginal tribes somewhere in the range, wherever that is.

Someone on the old site had a still from the film in his avatar, which piqued my interest. So when I actually saw a copy of the DVD in my local library I checked it out.

My Mood
    Breezy

and it's that good?

gritty realistic good or Man from Snowy River good?

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was one of the best Westerns I've seen, although I don't see many Westerns. Nick Cave, who wrote it, did a brilliant job.

There are a couple of scenes you can watch for yourself on YT.

Here's the trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7V-CW_SUos"]YouTube - The Proposition - Trailer[/ame]

This is one of my favorite scenes from the film:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgHxIWbLiBI&feature=related"]YouTube - Peggy Gordon from The Proposition[/ame]

It's better than watching "Bandidas," that's for sure.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does West Side Story Count?

Kidding! *ducks behind counter to avoid being shot*
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

hey, it's kind of in the west.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you guys like Western movies like I do (if you're reading this thread, I'm assuming you do) then check out the trailer for Appaloosa.

It's directed by Ed Harris and stars Harris, Viggo Mortenson and Jeremy Irons. It's looks really good. I don't want to get too excited, but I think the western genre is back.

3:10 to Yuma and Jesse James last year and now this film. Hopefully, it will be good.

Now, go watch the trailer.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Apparently it's blasphemous to call yourself a Western fan if you haven't seen The Proposition.

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    If you guys like Western movies like I do (if you're reading this thread, I'm assuming you do) then check out the trailer for Appaloosa.

It's directed by Ed Harris and stars Harris, Viggo Mortenson and Jeremy Irons. It's looks really good. I don't want to get too excited, but I think the western genre is back.

3:10 to Yuma and Jesse James last year and now this film. Hopefully, it will be good.

What's awesome is the shottie he carries in the movie. 8 gauge double barrel, now THAT'S a Big Fucken Gun.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Apparently it's blasphemous to call yourself a Western fan if you haven't seen The Proposition.

Exactly.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

What's awesome is the shottie he carries in the movie. 8 gauge double barrel, now THAT'S a Big Fucken Gun.
    I wouldn't know because none of the main theaters in my area are playing the movie. If a want see it I will have to go to one of the run down cinemas near me that don't have stadium seating (I shutter at the thought) and still have movie posters up from the 80's.

And they wonder why the Western is dead. Well, if the movie isn't open near you it's hard to go see it. I gave my local theater a piece of my mind and the kid said they just had too many other movies open this week.

This is why cinema is so watered down. They would rather show films likes Beverly Hills Chihuahua in order to make a quick buck on bunch of parents who don't want to talk to their kids.

This is why the movie IQ for most Americans is 0. I knew the country was in trouble when I asked this hot chick in college what her favorite movie was and she told me Night at the Roxbury. She was not longer attractive to me.

I think I'm done...oh one more thing, The Proposition is pretty sweet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast