Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's new Holly Gibney novel "Holly" (September 5, 2023)

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

I'd rather the book was about Molly and not Holly. His dog is more interesting.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad King is still around and writing books, but this is probably the least anticipated King book that I can remember. Hopefully it doesn't read like the third runner up in a write a Stephen King book contest like his last several novels, but I have low expectations. And if Holly uses that sock again, it will be a bridge way too far.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I'm glad King is still around and writing books, but this is probably the least anticipated King book that I can remember. Hopefully it doesn't read like the third runner up in a write a Stephen King book contest like his last several novels, but I have low expectations. And if Holly uses that sock again, it will be a bridge way too far.
    Spoiler Alert --- I was told that RichardX is going to HATE this book. A lot of politics. You might want to skip this one. I am afraid it will make your head explode.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    ]
    Spoiler Alert --- A lot of politics.
    I hope not. I'm already leery of the Covid setting and have no interest in revisiting the politics surrounding it.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holly review from the UK Guardian newspaper;

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...serial-killers

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Spoiler Alert --- I was told that RichardX is going to HATE this book. A lot of politics. You might want to skip this one. I am afraid it will make your head explode.
    No surprise. Uncle Stevie is like an old grumpy guy who still yells for the neighborhood kids to "get off his lawn" long after they have grown up and moved away. It's really sad. Most people don't read Stephen King novels for his political insights but to escape from those realities. Maybe he should write his next book about the US government funding a lab in China that releases a virus that kills a million Americans and then censors anyone who makes that claim with the support of famous authors. Instead of "The Stand" he could title it "The Kneel Down." It would not even have to be fiction.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post

"Holly’s mother, an anti-vaxxer,..." But of course.

"Lyrical and horrifying, Holly is a hymn to the grim pursuit of justice. The detective’s dogged search for truth drives the book; Covid-19, Black Lives Matter, Trump and the 6 January insurrection are all persistent themes."

No thanks SK. Maybe a book like this 5-10 years from now but not while the wound is still bleeding.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

King has always written about topical things.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Yep. If this site was around during the 90s they'd be complaining he was writing about people attacking abortion clinics in Insomnia. And his "abused women" trilogy would be proof that he was going "woke" and "anti-men".
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If The Dead Zone was King's newly published book, there are people here who would ardently believe that Greg Stillson was the real hero, and that King was a Libtard who was projecting his politics too feverishly.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    And his "abused women" trilogy would be proof that he was going "woke" and "anti-men".
    It is proof. Plus an apology to Tabitha for his affair.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Agreed. It's just that we're still unavoidably in the midst of Trump, covid etc and at this time I'm not interested in revisiting those subjects in my recreational reading; from any author.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    If The Dead Zone was King's newly published book, there are people here who would ardently believe that Greg Stillson was the real hero, and that King was a Libtard who was projecting his politics too feverishly.
    It's good to know you think so highly of your contemporaries on the message board. I can't imagine anyone here would find Stillson to be the hero, now or then. I consider The Dead Zone one of SK's best and the fact that it turned out to be so prescient makes it even more impactful today.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The vast majority? Wonderful folks. Smart, thoughtful, kind, & interesting to boot. There are a few however, that feel these boards are a great place to spew hateful hot takes and aim to rile up others. I would never personally deal with these folks, and I'm saddened by their presence.

My comments were mostly tongue in cheek, but (as always) the intent can be easily lost in a simple post, through no one's fault.

The Dead Zone is also one of my absolute favourite King novels, and I see Greg Stillson as the same sort of national populist politician as we have today.

Do I genuinely think people read Stillson as a hero? No, of course not. Do I think they root for his modern day, real life equivalent politicians? Youbetcha.

I'm sure there are those who are ready to jump down my throat for equating the two - but I'd bet that King himself believes they're cut from the same cloth.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Plus an apology to Tabitha for his affair.
    What affair are you talking about? You’ve indicated a few times that King has cheated on his wife but I’ve found nothing anywhere to back this up.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My excitement for a new Stephen King novel is at an all time low with this one. I'm just genuinely hoping for a decent story, and not something stuffed with irrelevant hot takes, and another lecture about covid. It seems like another divisive book however. If anything please let this be the book he retires Holly

Country
    Country Flag

Hate to be the bearer of bad news…

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...ew-Holly-novel)

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Stillson wasn't notable for being populist; he was notable for actually being fated to start WWIII.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh wow, lol. Totally missed that announcement. Luckily we're also getting a new short story collection, hopefully before that

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post

Covid-19, Black Lives Matter, Trump and the 6 January insurrection are all persistent themes.
    We'll see what this amounts to. Themes needn't be grinding stones, but King's recent history is one of taking a side and flogging it ad nauseam.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Maybe he should write his next book about the US government funding a lab in China that releases a virus that kills a million Americans and then censors anyone who makes that claim with the support of famous authors. Instead of "The Stand" he could title it "The Kneel Down." It would not even have to be fiction.
    Careful - sounds like hate speech.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah it’s not like there was a rise in hate speech and crimes against Asian-Americans or anything like that…

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    My excitement for a new Stephen King novel is at an all time low with this one. I'm just genuinely hoping for a decent story, and not something stuffed with irrelevant hot takes, and another lecture about covid. It seems like another divisive book however. If anything please let this be the book he retires Holly
    I agree. Maybe it will also include some guys giving "high fives" and modern-day kids playing board games and watching TCM. Sadly, Uncle Stevie, like many of our politicians, belongs to a bygone era. It's hard to stay "hep" when getting old and living among sycophants behind the walls of your mansions. But there is always virtue signaling on social media.

Country
    Country Flag

I get that you despise him but I have no idea who told you that King is confined to his “mansion” when he’s often out and about interacting with regular people.

And shocking that a 75 year old man whose kids have all grown up isn’t as up to date on what’s hip with modern teens.

My Collection

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

🤒🤕🤢🤮

My review, sight unseen, in four acts.

Unless the story ends with Holly being mauled by a bear and mouthing "Poopy" with her last breath, I'm not interested.

Why can't these geezers retire gracefully? Dean Koontz with his boot licking and paranoia, Metallica with their "mid" riffs, Kiss/Motley Crue with their backing tracks, King with his bleeding heart (it's not that I even disagree with every thing they're saying, they're both just so ham fisted and CRINGE) ... youre all worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Just stop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast