Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave Directors - Who do you love and why?

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

^Hahahaha, always love a good eyeball gag, that's how Lucio Fulci makes the list

Yeah I do know about Arrow's releases, and it pisses me off that they are Region B, unlike many of their earlier releases. Kino has a great Blu-ray release, but unfortunately doesn't come with the American cuts of Black Sabbath or Black Sunday, though they are releasing them shortly as a separate blu-ray. I've been fighting myself over this whole process, I just want to get the Arrow releases, but that means getting a region free blu-ray player... Not as big on the fact that many of the bonus features are on DVD alone, I already have I Vampiri on DVD. So I've just stuck with my Anchor Bay DVDs for now. I guess I'll probably get a region free player eventually, too many great Zavvi and Arrow releases that are only region B.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Of Bava, I have seen Blood and Black Lace, A Bay of Blood, Diabolik and Black Sunday, what are some other good ones by him?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Theli;907737]^Hahahaha, always love a good eyeball gag, that's how Lucio Fulci makes the list

Then there must be some love for Luis Bunuel & Salvador Dali?

Un Chien andalou 1929

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Of Bava, I have seen Blood and Black Lace, A Bay of Blood, Diabolik and Black Sunday, what are some other good ones by him?
    Pretty much everything, hahahaha.

For horror Black Sabbath is a MUST SEE, probably the best anthology flick ever made. Shock is one of his underrated flicks that came out later in his career, his son Lamberto also directed a few parts of it too. Like I said though pretty much everything is good, his style can elevate even the most mundane plot (which is rarely the case). Hatchet for the Honeymoon, Lisa and the Devil and Planet of the Vampires all stood out to me, especially the set designs for Planet. For a non-horror flick Eric the Conqueror is damn good fun, over the top, epic and violent, what more can one ask for? Though I still have a few of his flicks to catch up on yet.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    ^Hahahaha, always love a good eyeball gag, that's how Lucio Fulci makes the list
    Then there must be some love for Luis Bunuel & Salvador Dali?
    Yeah man, Un Chien Andalou is a barrel of monkeys

LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE SOME HOMEWORK TO DO.
    Spoiler:
    1,125 pages

also check out

Spoiler:
    Let me know if you find it on Netflix.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The quotes are messing up for some reason...

Baron Blood is an odd one to have in the collection, while not bad, it is far from one of his best, many others could have taken it's place. There's tons of Bava on US Netflix by the way, for anyone interested.

Spoiler:
    1,125 pages

also check out

Spoiler:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I realize Kurosawa has been mentioned in a few lists. Some pretty far down. I believe I saw a couple of lists of 50 that did not contain his name.

I don't think the genius and influence of Kurosawa can be overstated, no matter what hyperbolic acclamation one might use. I've seen most of his major films, and listened to the Criterion Commentaries and read a bunch of background material on each film. In almost every instance there are film-making aspects that he either invented, innovated, or improved upon. And his films are not just technical marvels, but are extremely entertaining and/or thought-provoking.

And how many major directors since Kurosawa have copied, or been inspired, paid homage to what Kurosawa innovated? And they'll be the first to admit it. I bet if you polled the "top 50" directors on these lists, at least 45 of them would put Kurosawa in their own personal top 5.

If the first (or only) thing that comes to your mind when you hear "Kurosawa" is samurai films, you should see Stray Dog. Toshirô Mifune plays a young detective whose bad day gets worse when a pickpocket steals his gun. Desperate to right the wrong, he goes undercover, scavenging Tokyo’s sweltering streets for the "stray dog" whose desperation has led him to a life of crime. Or perhaps High and Low (aka Heaven and Hell), where a rich executive must decide whether to pay the ransom for the kidnapped son of his chauffeur. How about Red Beard, about a gruff country doctor?

And then there's Ikiru, which might be the perfect film. It is a masterpiece on all levels. If you watch it, I strongly encourage following up with the commentary. It provides much depth and awareness of the culture. The scenes where the local women are trying to get government officials to actually do something about a particular issue are funny and inspired, and could be applied almost without editing to anyone today who gets the runaround from City Hall.

Another director who deserves mention that I haven't seen in this thread is Yasujirô Ozu. Yes, many of his films are silent, but like the best directors, he really gets to the heart of human nature. I strongly recommend A Story of Floating Weeds (it's a silent) as well as his own sound remake Floating Weeds. Roger Ebert provides very insightful commentaries. Great, great films. Another one of Ozu's masterpieces is Tokyo Story.

Ozu has a very distinctive filming style that is "not for everyone." It was a little odd to me at first, but soon grew on me.

I'm not sure if I could put Masaki Kobayashi on a top 50 list b/c I've only seen 3 of his films. But they were all 5-star efforts. Hara-kiri is simply amazing. If you were to tell me that watching a guy sit on a mat and tell a story for 2 1/2 hours would be one of the most captivating things I've ever seen on film, I wouldn't have believed you. But it is. Yes, there are flashbacks that act out major parts of the story, and bursts of action, but as a character piece it is unmatched. I also recommend his Samurai Rebellion. A hen-pecked samurai and his son fight the clan power structure when the local lord wants his mistress back--the same mistress he forced the son to marry. Turns out the son and the girl really love each other so they'd rather fight and die than send her back. Kobayashi's ghost story Kaidan (aka Kwaidan) is also surrealistic and interesting. There was a recent remake which was also pretty good, but catch the original for sure.
    Love all the films you named in this post, I need to see more silent Ozu soon
    I appreciate you commenting on my post. In addition to the Ozu films I mentioned above, I've got 13 others on my DVD shelf in various boxsets. I've watched 6-7 of them, silents and sounds, and really like how they portray the "everyday" life of Japanese families. The focus is not chambrara, yakuza, samurai, etc.

For example, in Late Spring, a girl's family wants to marry her off but she's having none of that. Tokyo Chorus: Father loses his job standing up for a co-worker and thus can't buy a bicycle for his kid. I Was Born, But…: Family moves out to the suburbs and the 2 young boys get bullied before finally figuring out how to fit in. Passing Fancy: 40-something widower takes a fancy to a somewhat homely young 20s girl, but she only has eyes for the hadsome Jiro, who doesn't return the affection. The widower also has to deal with his young son who becomes seriously ill.

Perhaps Ozu's most accessible film to Western audiences (it's one of his latest and in color) is Good Morning. In 1950s Japan, a couple of little boys really really want to get a TV set, and when their parents balk the kids take a vow of silence to coerce their parents into buying one. Interestingly enough, I didn't care all that much for this one, but it was the first Ozu film I ever watched and I'm sure now that I "get" the understated simplicity of his films and his unique filming style, I would appreciate it more on a re-watch.

Anyone reading my posts here and thinking that low-key family dramas are not your thing, fair enough. But for sure check out the three Kobayashi films I referred to. Seriously.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know enough about Japanese cinema. I'm not sure whether Kenji Mizoguchi is considered one of the greats of film in all categories, but I believe that he will always have to be one of my favorites, after Kurosawa and Ozu.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I don't know enough about Japanese cinema. I'm not sure whether Kenji Mizoguchi is considered one of the greats of film in all categories, but I believe that he will always have to be one of my favorites, after Kurosawa and Ozu.
    I've seen Ugestu, which I very much enjoyed, but no others. What would you recommend?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Spoiler:
    1,125 pages

also check out

Spoiler:
    Oh shit that is a big, beautiful book! And I do not currently have Netflix

Cont...

6. Luis Buñuel

Favorites: Un Chien Andalou, L'age d'Or, Los Olvidados, Viridiana, The Exterminating Angel, Simon of the Desert, Belle du Jour, The Milky Way, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, That Obscure Object of Desire

7. Clint Eastwood

Favorites:
    Play Misty for Me, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Absolute Power, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Blood Work, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Gran Torino. Invictus, American SNiper

8. Woody Allen

Favorites: Annie Hall, Interiors, Stardust Memories, Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and her Sisters, Radio Days, September, Another Woman, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Alice, Husbands and Wives, Bullets Over Broadway, Mighty Aphrodite, Everyone Says I Love You, Deconstructing Harry, Sweet and Lowdown, Hollywood Ending, Melinda and Melinda, Match Point, Whatever Works, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine

9.John Ford

Favorites: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,The Searchers, Mister Roberts,The Quiet Man,She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, 3 Godfathers, Fort Apache, The Fugitive, My Darling Clementine, They Were Expendable, How Green was my Valley, The Long Voyage Home, The Grapes of Wrath, Drums Along the Mohawk, Young Mr. Lincoln, Stagecoach,
    The Hurricane

10. Orson Welles

Favorites:Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger, The Lady from Shanghai, Othello, Touch of Evil, The Trial, Falstaff - Chimes at Midnight, The Immortal Stroy

more later...

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

7. Clint Eastwood

Favorites:
    Play Misty for Me, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Absolute Power, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Blood Work, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Gran Torino. Invictus, American Sniper.
    Eastwood has had an amazing career as an actor and a director. He has had a few misses for me though.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is close to unwatchable, Flags of Our Fathers is decent, but doesn't come close to Iwo Jima, Invictus was just blah. The one movie I would add to your list is Changeling. I think that one was better than people gave it credit for.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

7. Clint Eastwood

Favorites:
    Play Misty for Me, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Absolute Power, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Blood Work, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Gran Torino. Invictus, American Sniper.
    Eastwood has had an amazing career as an actor and a director. He has had a few misses for me though.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is close to unwatchable, Flags of Our Fathers is decent, but doesn't come close to Iwo Jima, Invictus was just blah. The one movie I would add to your list is Changeling. I think that one was better than people gave it credit for.
    Disagree whole-heatedly over Midnight... and Invictus, which were both based on true stories incidentally. I grant you Sands... is better than Flags... but I still love both films. I have not seen Changeling yet, also need to see J. Edgar, The Hereafter and Jersey Boys, then I will have seen all the movies he has directed. Is Changeling Based on a true story?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Changeling was really good. I'd definitely add that to your list.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

7. Clint Eastwood

Favorites:

..also need to see J. Edgar..
    No you don't. I guess if you're trying to see every film he's directed then you'll have to force your way through it. Truly distracting makeup job on Leo in that film. They should have hired the Oscar nominated makeup artists that made Johnny Knoxville look unrecognizable in Bad Grandpa.

Changeling is indeed partially based on true events. I will admit that I might have been too young when I saw Midnight to truly appreciate it. I was 17 and I'm not even sure I realized Eastwood directed it. I also saw it over somebody else's house with a bunch of other people, which is sometimes a difficult environment to watch a movie in.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Traveler smargavio will become famous soon enough smargavio's Avatar

Haven't finished a top 50 (usually only keep top 10) but here is my top 10 in the mean time.

1. Stanley Kubrick
    2. Paul Thomas Anderson
    3. Darren Aronofsky
    4. Quentin Tarantino
    5. Guillermo del Toro
    6. Joel and Ethan Coen
    7. Akira Kurosawa
    8. Jean Luc Goddard
    9. Timur Bekmambetov
    10. Sam Mendes

There are so many great ones, but I feel they are all far dar behind these 10, in my opinion.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

43. Neill Blomkamp
    Are you basing this solely off the power of District 9?...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    43. Neill Blomkamp
    Are you basing this solely off the power of District 9?...
    No, I loved Elysium as well. And I do enjoy the short films he made prior as well. I do consider District 9 as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time though, so that's mostly how he gets in. I haven't seen Chappie though...

I should fit Clint Eastwood in my list too, but I'm too lazy at this point to edit it for the nth time.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

No specific order...will order one day. This can be my template list lol.

- Stanley Kubrick
    - Alexander Payne
    - Paul Thomas Anderson
    - Wes Anderson
    - Todd Field
    - Francis Ford Coppola
    - Martin Scorcese
    - Steven Spielberg
    - Milos Forman
    - Terrence Mallick
    - James L. Brooks
    - David Cronenberg
    - Steven Soderberg
    - Bryan Singer
    - Ridley Scott
    - Tony Scott
    - Michael Mann
    - Jason Reitman
    - Quentin Tarantino
    - Clint Eastwood
    - Darren Aronofsky
    - David Fincher
    - Roman Polanksi
    - David Gordon Green
    - Sidney Lumet
    - Spike Jonze
    - Billy Wilder
    - Alfred Hitchcock
    - Woody Allen
    - Paul Verhoeven
    - Sam Raimi
    - Ben Affleck
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

7. Clint Eastwood

Favorites:

..also need to see J. Edgar..
    No you don't. I guess if you're trying to see every film he's directed then you'll have to force your way through it. Truly distracting makeup job on Leo in that film. They should have hired the Oscar nominated makeup artists that made Johnny Knoxville look unrecognizable in Bad Grandpa.

Changeling is indeed partially based on true events. I will admit that I might have been too young when I saw Midnight to truly appreciate it. I was 17 and I'm not even sure I realized Eastwood directed it. I also saw it over somebody else's house with a bunch of other people, which is sometimes a difficult environment to watch a movie in.
    Ha! Then I will probably wait to see J. Edgar last. I definitely cannot imagine a 17 year old boy's favorite film being Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Give it a re-watch some day. It's very atmospheric and perhaps one of the more telling performances by Spacey.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Changeling was really good. I'd definitely add that to your list.
    Hopefully sometime next week I can find the time to watch it!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Maybe I should give Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil another shot as well. I watched it shortly after I read the book, so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in why I didn't like it.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast