Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Castle Rock - Castle Schlock News Letter

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default Castle Schlock Newsletter

Does anyone remember these parody newsletters? I though they were great. I was reminded of them when I stumbled upon No 5 on the net by chance.

http://www.rexer.com/ray/castle_schlock_5.html

Maybe we should start a new one. Any takers?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen those belore. That's great!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew they existed but have never seen one!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well... on the same webpage, you have some other issues (at least 1-5)
    http://www.rexer.com/ray/

The 1st issue is available on the Overlook Connection website... for sale

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've not heard of these before, I look forward to reading them. Thanks!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Castle Rock - Castle Schlock News Letter

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd start this thread and hopeflly find out more about these newspapers. Just what are the start and end dates of the publications? Anyone have a good idea as to value? Other than Ebay is there a place to get back issue's? (well I guess they ALL are now) at a resonable price? I have 86,87,88 but I think I'm missing some.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd start this thread and hopeflly find out more about these newspapers. Just what are the start and end dates of the publications? Anyone have a good idea as to value? Other than Ebay is there a place to get back issue's? (well I guess they ALL are now) at a resonable price? I have 86,87,88 but I think I'm missing some.
    Castle Rock, published from January 1985 through December 1989. It was edited by Christopher Spruce, King's brother in law.

I got a full set on ebay last year for $210.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad you started this thread Cooch--I have heard about this but wasn't sure what it was.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a subscription. Unfortunately, I got a second printing of #1 instead of the first (because I didn't know it had started until issue 4 was out). If you look at some of the issues, I've got a letter or two published in them.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe there wee 57 total issues.
    A bit of history:
    Beginning as a 6 page letter size newsletter, first dated January, 1985, Castle Rock was published by King's sister-in-law and secretary, Stephenie Leonard.
    With the January, 1989 issue, Christpher Spruce (presumably Tabitha King's brother) became the editor/publisher.
    To my knowledge back issues are no longer available, but in 1989 they were. In 1989 a 6-issue subscription was $12.00. The mailing address (now assumed defunct) was Castle Rock, P.O. Box 8060, Bangor, Maine 04401

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I have a couple of letters published in there, too. The ones I remember have to do with the "PERMISSIONS TO COME" typo at the front of The Tommyknockers and a response to one of their contests that featured characters named Richard in King books and stories.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I have a couple of letters published in there, too. The ones I remember have to do with the "PERMISSIONS TO COME" typo at the front of The Tommyknockers and a response to one of their contests that featured characters named Richard in King books and stories.
    Hi Bev

Permission to Come Typo? I thought that was supposed to be there (off topic I know)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

About half the first printings of The Tommyknockers had "Permissions to Come" on the copyright page instead of the more normal Permissions. The other half, otherwise identical, had the proper Permissions. Because of the number printed (about 1.4 million), neither is worth more than the other.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John....had my head spinning there..LOL

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    About half the first printings of The Tommyknockers had "Permissions to Come" on the copyright page instead of the more normal Permissions. The other half, otherwise identical, had the proper Permissions. Because of the number printed (about 1.4 million), neither is worth more than the other.

John
    Perhaps not worth much more but wouldn't you say the copies with "Permissions to Come" are more desirable to a collector than the ones without? I thought they were the earlier state of the book.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

All the ones I have have the "Permissions to Come". It is a minor thing to quibble about-but isn't quibbling part of collecting?
    I would not pursue, nor want one without the blurb.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had a subscription to this but don't have a complete set. I have a letter published in one, too.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    All the ones I have have the "Permissions to Come". It is a minor thing to quibble about-but isn't quibbling part of collecting?
    I would not pursue, nor want one without the blurb.
    I wouldn't want one either. First is first. Not first is.....well, not first.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

John
    Perhaps not worth much more but wouldn't you say the copies with "Permissions to Come" are more desirable to a collector than the ones without? I thought they were the earlier state of the book.
    I guess I never really thought about it. You're right. The one with Permissions to Come would obviously be at least the first state. I have one of each.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had a subscription. Unfortunately, I got a second printing of #1 instead of the first (because I didn't know it had started until issue 4 was out). If you look at some of the issues, I've got a letter or two published in them.

John
    what kind of letters if can ask?

what is the ""Permissions to Come" that you guys are talking about?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

On the copyright page, publishers list acknowledgements of material they have been granted permission to reprint in the book. Song lyrics, poem quotes, things like that. When the book is being set up, the designer will leave a note that says "permissions to come" to remind himself and everyone else that this information needs to be listed. In Tommyknockers, that "reminder" was left on the page by mistake and not discovered until after the book was printed and sent to stores.

There was some debate at the time over how many copies of the book were printed with that mistake. Tyson Blue claimed that it was a fairly small number. I wrote to Castle Rock saying that I had seen copies of the book with the error in stores in eastern Canada, in an English bookstore in Zurich, Switzerland and in Texas, so there must have been quite a few of them scattered around the world.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember when I bought my copies (at the same store) that they had copies intermixed--it seemed to be about half and half (just like the dust jackets--about half were with red lettering, the other half with gold). I've since read somewhere that about half were printed with the Permissions to Come and the other half had the permissions.

John

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'll have to check to see which I have! :-)

And as far as Castle Rock goes I had a subscription that started in late 1986 I think. I have since purchased almost all of the ones that I was missing. I think I am about 2 or 3 short right now!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I guess I'll have to check to see which I have! :-)

And as far as Castle Rock goes I had a subscription that started in late 1986 I think. I have since purchased almost all of the ones that I was missing. I think I am about 2 or 3 short right now!
    Neatly back on thread CR.

Hope you get the missing ones.

The newsletters formed a valuable part of my research for chapter 1 of The Road to the Dark Tower because the trade paperback and audio release of DT1 and the previews and release of DT2 all occurred during its run. There were some terrific articles, interviews and excerpts that put the early part of the series in context as King's wider audience became aware of the existence of these books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast