Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So Long and Thanks For All the Fish

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the quote is in the intro that he wrote for the ultimate guide that i have... but idk where my book is... at my aunts house i think.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

DA was a big evolutionist...

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and a radical atheist i think he called himself..

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Yes.... He did not believe in the big G-man...

Along the Path of the Beam Bumbler is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I must say that all my friends love Adams's style of writing. I, however, have never been able to get into it. I know that I should love these books, but I am just unable to read them.

My Mood
    Worried

I unfortunately beat you R of G... there's already a thread...

So Long and thanks for all the fish is the name of it...

But I agree with absolutely everything that you said.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Jayson made his first - his was started in 2007 I'll see if we can have a merge

I bought Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency on audio yesterday and listened to it at work today. It's a dramatized version and is very good. Harry Enfield, a British comedian plays Dirk, and Billy Boyd (of LotR fame) plays Richard...highly recommend it!

My Mood
    Worried

That sounds awesome!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally is! I can burn you a copy if you like - pm me if you want one
    I'm going for Stephen Fry reading Hitchiker's Guide next

My Mood
    Worried

You rule beyond any words!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Totally is! I can burn you a copy if you like - pm me if you want one
    I'm going for Stephen Fry reading Hitchiker's Guide next
    I bet Fry's reading is awesome. The audio version I have is DNA himself, which is cool beyond words. There's also a version read by Martin Freeman [who played Arthur in the movie] which I have yet to hear but would love to.

That version of Dirk Gently sounds very cool too Lisa.

I think I've mentioned this before in some thread or another, but I'm not above repeating myself... for those of you who really love Douglas Adams, I HIGHLY recommend the novels of John Swartzwelder. If the name sounds familiar it is because Swartzwelder has been a writer for The Simpsons since the start of the show. He's written more episodes than any other writer. His books, of which I believe there are now 4 are hysterically funny and remind me very much of Adams. Check him out, you won't be disappointed.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was looking for the DA narrated version, but they only have the Stephen Fry one on itunes - he sounds excellent in the preview though - but I'm a big Fry fan anyway

Definitely. Fry is hilarious, and if you can't find the DNA version, I'm sure he is a more than adequate substitute.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you read any of Fry's books?

I've only read The Liar, but I loved it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
    I must say that all my friends love Adams's style of writing. I, however, have never been able to get into it. I know that I should love these books, but I am just unable to read them.
    same here

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
    same here
    I gave it the ol' college try but couldn't get into them either.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have never read any of his books.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

He is awesome! Very British sense of humour - cynical, self depreciating and sarcastic - and an all round master of plots that go off on the most bizarre tangents, only to come full circle just at the point when you're sure he's lost it entirely

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

He is awesome! Very British sense of humour - cynical, self depreciating and sarcastic - and an all round master of plots that go off on the most bizarre tangents, only to come full circle just at the point when you're sure he's lost it entirely

Yeah, and I enjoy that for only so long though. I read the first two books in the Hitchhiker's series and those tangents you mention just got old to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes... I understand all that, but I get tired of such style very soon; it's like, you know, eating only mustard. Then, I have always found cynical/sarcastic type of humor rather cheap, say sorry... it somehow gets old for me on the fifth page (the same with Terry Pratchett, Tom Sharpe, and most of Vonnegut)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I find Terry Pratchett very similar too.
    And that's fine - not everyone likes that style of humour...it is after all the lowest form of wit

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I although I do his humor funny, its just too much of it for my taste reading through those books. Also, cynicism generally is a turn-off for me, although I do enjoy some cynical humor.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Worried

well I must admit that everyone says I should like Terry pratchett and I just can't get into it yet..

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Really?! Which ones have you tried reading?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast