13 50.00%
  • Sex, Lies, and Videotape

9 34.62%
  • Funny Farm

6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 25 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 25 of 32

During the second round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Breakfast Club (1985)
    Directed by John Hughes

Watch Trailer

Pet Sematary (1989)
    Directed by Mary Lambert

Watch Trailer

They Live (1988)
    Directed by John Carpenter

Watch Trailer

Dirty Dancing (1987)
    Directed by Emile Ardolino

Watch Trailer

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989)
    Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Watch Trailer

Funny Farm (1988)
    Directed by George Roy Hill

Watch Trailer

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Funny Farm is one of my favorite films. Love that movie so much. Sad that this is most likely where it ends.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

James Spader is a powerhouse in Sex, Lies, & Videotape.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Breakfast Club all the way! Maybe not to the finals, but man it's great, and it still holds up.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    James Spader is a powerhouse in Sex, Lies, & Videotape.
    Kinda surprised this is not doing better. It's phenomenal.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would not be upset if The Breakfast Club made it to the finals. It’s the quintessential ‘80s film!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Funny Farm is one of my favorite films. Love that movie so much. Sad that this is most likely where it ends.
    I watched it a bunch of times when I was a kid and I loved Chevy Chase. I haven't seen it in many years though and don't know how well it holds up. I voted for it but I need to re-watch it again sometime.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Breakfast Club
    They Live
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I really like Chevy Chase and while I liked Funny Farm, that's as far as it went, it never got to the point of "great" for me (I didn't vote for it).

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I would not be upset if The Breakfast Club made it to the finals. It’s the quintessential ‘80s film!
    I just watched a really interesting documentary about that movie. They talked about how John Hughes thought this would be his directorial debut but it ended up being Sixteen Candles instead. They went through the whole casting process. Molly Ringwald originally wanted the role of Allison and her character wasn't originally going to be named "Claire".

Rick Moranis was cast as the janitor but they ended up replacing him.

They built the library set completely from scratch inside the gymnasium of a closed down school and all the books are real library books that they got from a library that was just trying to get rid of them. They even went through and put them all in order by the dewy decimal system.

Lots of cool little tidbits that I never knew.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I watched it a bunch of times when I was a kid and I loved Chevy Chase. I haven't seen it in many years though and don't know how well it holds up. I voted for it but I need to re-watch it again sometime.
    You should watch it again. I've seen it a few times as an adult and I enjoyed it just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I really like Chevy Chase and while I liked Funny Farm, that's as far as it went, it never got to the point of "great" for me (I didn't vote for it).
    It's probably the nostalgia for me. I grew up watching this movie countless times, and still enjoy it to this day. No, it's not a masterpiece, but I still love it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Surprised to see Pet Sematary doing so well. It's a good King movie but I didn't think it was this well liked in general.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Surprised to see Pet Sematary doing so well. It's a good King movie....
    lemme stop you right there.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Surprised to see Pet Sematary doing so well. It's a good King movie....
    lemme stop you right there.
    I hear what you're saying, but allow me to remind you, we're in a tournament where people are voting for The Running Man...

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Breakfast Club (84.62%)
    2. Pet Sematary (53.85%)
    3. Dirty Dancing (50.00%)
    4. They Live (46.15%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Sex, Lies, and Videotape (34.62%)
    2. Funny Farm (23.08%)

+ Reply to Thread