Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flatsigned or inscribed?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Flatsigned or inscribed?

Well, I just scanned the titles of all threads on 14 pages and could not believe this title....flatsigned or inscribed?....was not among them, and we all could use a new thread!

As Caretaker of Betts Books, I get asked this question several times a year....flatsigned or inscribed?

In my opinion, it is a personal choice as I know collectors who only collect flatsigned and others who LIKE inscriptions, even if it is to someone other than themself.

Myself, I own multiple versions of both....inscriptions to another person do not bother me in the least and I own what I think are some really cool inscriptions.

In terms of value, I think flatsigned might be a little bit more "universal" and favored over inscribed copies...I know some collectors ONLY want flatsigned...Not sure I know of collectors (am sure they are out there) that ONLY want inscribed copies. For me, I like inscribed books because a) they are harder to fake, b) I like having more King handwriting than just a signature (and sometimes a date).

So, in the end, I own and like BOTH, and I see value in both, but again, I think it is a personal preference.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have an inscribed yet but have seen some I wouldn't mind owning. I'd also like to have one that was signed and dated on any of my birthdays but I figure that's probably a long shot. If I could find one inscribed with my name I think I could pretend that it really was inscribed to me.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Inscription dated before or on release date for me. At worst, the same year!

I couldn't have a King book signed years later, unless he signed it to me, in front of me.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a few inscribed (a couple to me), which i prefer over flatsigned.

I am not a fan of random names, but if inscribed to Dave or David, they are of interest, even though it is not actually to me.

I generally avoid flatsigned as they run the risk of being fake, but would make the exception if it was from trusted sellers.

I dont plan on getting flatsigned, but would consider other inscribed books to Dave.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I like inscriptions (no matter who it's signed to). When an author or artist inscribes a message it's being done by their own hand and mind. I find that very intriguing.

Imagine holding a First Edition A Christmas Carol inscribed by Charles Dickens in your glove covered hands. His signature, his hand writing, all directly in front of you.

King is the Stoker, Dickens, Orwell, Hemingway, etc. of our time. I will take the inscription for my collection.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

I would love to own an inscribed book. Have been to two King signings but only got signatures. Not even dated.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I have 3 inscribed books. With one coming to me very soon. I don't mind if it's inscribed. None of mine are directly to me but they are all nice.
    I will take either to be honest.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

I am the same as you are David, I've got multiples of both. I love a "good" inscription. Something witty or different. One of my favorites is a Gunslinger with "Welcome to the wild, weird, west"

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm definitely more in favour of flatsigned. I don't like inscriptions, even to people who have some known association with the author, unless they had something to do with the book itself. They are cool to see, but I would prefer a flat signature in my own copy.

The one exception I own is a book inscribed, with a personal message, to one of the people to whom the book was dedicated, one of the author's sons.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Inscribed, all the way! Or 99% of the time. There are a very few circumstances in which I'd prefer a flat signature (one being my copy of CP's Salem's Lot that was bound without a true signature page but which is flatsigned; definitely happier that it was flatsigned as opposed to inscribed).

I agree with Mulleins - I like that it's done with their own "hand and mind." I don't care who it's inscribed to. The few (non-King) books that I've had signed in person, I always request that it's inscribed to me.

The more words the better. Bonus points if it's something personal from the author, or a joke, or anything above and beyond "Best Wishes, X". Extra double special bonus points if the author signs their name differently or somehow unusually (as long as it can be verified as legit, of course). For example, I really loved, and now regret not purchasing, the Firestarter that was up for sale a while back where King signed his first name SSStephen. I don't generally collect first editions anymore, with the exception of a few books that I really love. I also don't generally hunt down King signatures, but I'll absolutely take a look at anything with an interesting inscription.

Now, off to post my favorite inscribed book in the other thread!

Gunslinger Apprentice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93 is just really nice Fitzy93's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great thread David!

I prefer dated inscriptions and other than limiteds all my signatures are inscriptions except one that I bought from Betts!

All the same reasons that have been mentioned :
    Signed to other names does not bother me one bit, but I have paid a bit more for some To Mike.
    Cool and more personal feel to inscriptions and some can be One of a kind!
    Harder to fake and with dates much more info to use!
    I believe the tides are turning where the value of inscribed pieces will increase because of all the flatsigned fakes out there!

I’ll post a couple of my favorites in the cool inscription thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Flat signed in person by Stephen King. I have a few of those and they top any other books I have.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great thread, David. Inscribed for me, every time, and for the same reasons outlined above. I am a collector that ONLY wants inscribed copies over flatisigned (but will accept a flatsigned as a holding place)...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

While I have both, I preffer inscribed.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am on the same page as Ari. Have both but love the inscribed more.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread