• Clue

8 26.67%
  • Grave of the Fireflies

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 16 of 32

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    “Boomer,” eh? God forbid anyone be over 45 years old...
    He used Millenial, I used Boomer. Both are riduculous. Also, I'm almost 45.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    @Bill - my friend I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but it's sad that you can't celebrate one of the most beautiful, moving films ever made. I implore you to watch it if you haven't already. Guarantee you'll change your tune after experiencing the profound masterpiece that is Grave of the Fireflies.
    Trolling? Nice thanks dude. God forbid anyone disagree or not go with your advice with you cretins.

And Mae, every drama is not a tear jerker which is what you described. So, NO I don't go to a film to have a cry. Now, as long as you are all bemoaning the "power" of this film and how emotional it is, have any of you seen "Pride of the Yankees"? No, I doubt it, but it is also an excellent and emotional film but is likely not your cup of tea. That's cool, but you don't have me ganging up on you guys and bemoaning the fact that you didn't watch it do you? You guys are all the "Next Generation" right with tolerance for everyone and all that? Yeah, tolerance for everyone that agrees with you. I'm out.
    A perfect example of a guy who continues to treat people like shit, but is allowed to still be a part of this site because he donates a lot of money. It's sad.

I can't tell you how many people have reached out to me to express their hatred and disdain for that man.

He hates our movie tournaments and almost every single time he comes in here, stirs up shit and then acts like we are the bad guys.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pride of the Yankees, Bill? Sounds more like you watched Pride of the Philistines to me!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Wtf are you serious? Dude why did I think you were like 38 or something?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I will be 40 in March. That is close to 45.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I was so confused too because I thought I was older than you Why are you jumping ahead, I'm trying to jump back.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I was so confused too because I thought I was older than you Why are you jumping ahead, I'm trying to jump back.
    You're older than me!? You don't look 40 in the slightest.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Jesus fucking Christ.
    Snow flakes, Boomers and Millenials.

We need more labels!!

"Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
    Get them up against the wall!
    There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
    Get him up against the wall!
    That one looks Jewish!
    And that one's a coon!
    Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
    There's one smoking a joint,
    And another with spots!
    If I had my way,
    I'd have all of you shot!" -Pink Floyd
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ.

We need more labels!!

That one looks Jewish!
    And that one's a coon!
    And another with spots!
    If I had my way,
    Nice reference. Jagoff.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeahhh the difference is we're not shit talking a movie we haven't even seen it.

Think about it dude.
    Calm down my friend. Depending upon what your definition of "shit" is I don't feel I did any "shit talking". I admit, though it should be obvious, that initially I had some fun with the title of the film, making a few jokes. After that, one of you described the films' content and I stated my position or opinion if you will on that type of film. FWIW I took a look at the trailer someone posted and I can add to that opinion that I wouldn't care for it because it's animated and in addition Japanese animation. Now, I'm not racist I just don't care for that type of animation, never have. I didn't like "Speed Racer" or "Tin-Tin" either largely because I don't care for that animation.

I also pointed out a few other reasons why I wouldn't watch it, but also conceded the point that a few of you do and that is fine, to paraphrase. I also offered a case in point of a film I do care for, but didn't think you would like. Quite honestly I fail to see what has gotten you so upset. The fact that you love this film so much and I choose not to watch it or what? If my initial jokes offended you or some others then I sincerely apologize. At first glance the title lends itself to humor in some that are not aware of its content. It was rude to judge it just from the title and I'm sorry, but the fact that I do not wish to view the film should not be the basis for jumping down my throat. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Pride of the Yankees, Bill? Sounds more like you watched Pride of the Philistines to me!
    How witty of you, Matts!!! Did you get together with a bunch of fellow Canadians and come up with that over a case of Molson? LOL I'm just joking with you.

Now, as to Philistine's I'm sure you are referring to that Parents' basement dweller and resident self appointed movie expert (sic), Still Servant. I have no idea what that troll had to say because I have blissfully chosen to enter him into my "Ignore list". However, I'm sure it was derogatory. Good for him!!!! Another victory!!!

To the rest of you that got upset about my desire to not watch this film, I may not be the film expert you all are, but I am entitled to my opinion. I just know what I like and should be able to state said opinion without being ganged up on or made the butt of your jokes. That is in a world of tolerance anyway.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, you judged everyone who liked this movie to be a "millenial" without a killer instinct and then ranted about Lilly pads, tolerance and in a follow up called everyone cretins. The irony here is that almost every critic on rotten tomatoes with a picture looks at least fifty years old. Not that any of that matters anyway.

Only later did you actually say why you didn't like it. I don't really care that someone doesn't like the things I do and I wasn't really trying to "sell" you on the movie. I posted the link so you can see it's not some obscure art house movie only four people have seen.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Yeahhh the difference is we're not shit talking a movie we haven't even seen it.

Think about it dude.
    Calm down my friend. Depending upon what your definition of "shit" is I don't feel I did any "shit talking". I admit, though it should be obvious, that initially I had some fun with the title of the film, making a few jokes. After that, one of you described the films' content and I stated my position or opinion if you will on that type of film. FWIW I took a look at the trailer someone posted and I can add to that opinion that I wouldn't care for it because it's animated and in addition Japanese animation. Now, I'm not racist I just don't care for that type of animation, never have. I didn't like "Speed Racer" or "Tin-Tin" either largely because I don't care for that animation.

I also pointed out a few other reasons why I wouldn't watch it, but also conceded the point that a few of you do and that is fine, to paraphrase. I also offered a case in point of a film I do care for, but didn't think you would like. Quite honestly I fail to see what has gotten you so upset. The fact that you love this film so much and I choose not to watch it or what? If my initial jokes offended you or some others then I sincerely apologize. At first glance the title lends itself to humor in some that are not aware of its content. It was rude to judge it just from the title and I'm sorry, but the fact that I do not wish to view the film should not be the basis for jumping down my throat. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    How witty of you, Matts!!! Did you get together with a bunch of fellow Canadians and come up with that over a case of Molson? LOL I'm just joking with you.

Now, as to Philistine's I'm sure you are referring to that Parents' basement dweller and resident self appointed movie expert (sic), Still Servant. I have no idea what that troll had to say because I have blissfully chosen to enter him into my "Ignore list". However, I'm sure it was derogatory. Good for him!!!! Another victory!!!

To the rest of you that got upset about my desire to not watch this film, I may not be the film expert you all are, but I am entitled to my opinion. I just know what I like and should be able to state said opinion without being ganged up on or made the butt of your jokes. That is in a world of tolerance anyway.
    You're Goddamn right! I win every time because I can say whatever the fuck I want and you will never see it. You talk about others being easily offended yet you block me. You're better off because I'm too quick for you and you know it.

One day I will figure out why the fuck he calls Matt Matts. Makes no sense.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Think about it dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Actually, you judged everyone who liked this movie to be a "millenial" without a killer instinct and then ranted about Lilly pads, tolerance and in a follow up called everyone cretins. The irony here is that almost every critic on rotten tomatoes with a picture looks at least fifty years old. Not that any of that matters anyway.

Only later did you actually say why you didn't like it. I don't really care that someone doesn't like the things I do and I wasn't really trying to "sell" you on the movie. I posted the link so you can see it's not some obscure art house movie only four people have seen.
    Actually, actually I may have a more warped sense of humor than most, but at that point I was still half joking since you guys were still pushing a film I had no interest in. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone, I have zero interest in animated (especially japanese style) films, no desire to watch a tear jerker and I'm glad you all seem to love it, but I'll just be passing on it, okay? Thanks for all your well meant recommendations of the film regardless your age.

May we move on to other concerns?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Fly (80.00%)
    2. Lethal Weapon (73.33%)
    3. Creepshow (66.67%)
    4. Brazil (33.33%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Clue (26.67%)
    2. Grave of the Fireflies (23.33%)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Jesus fucking Christ.

We need more labels!!

That one looks Jewish!
    And that one's a coon!
    And another with spots!
    If I had my way,
    Nice reference. Jagoff.

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.

WTF is a jagoff? Judge Advocate General on their day off?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Go figure, the two I voted for both got eliminated.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Go figure, the two I voted for both got eliminated.
    I feel your pain, Heather. I voted for them too. I still watch Clue every once in a while. That house is one of my favorite sets of all time.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Jesus fucking Christ.

We need more labels!!

That one looks Jewish!
    And that one's a coon!
    And another with spots!
    If I had my way,
    Nice reference. Jagoff.

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.

WTF is a jagoff? Judge Advocate General on their day off?
    To be clear, since I'm not sure if this was lost in translation: by addressing you as "jagoff" I wasn't actually insulting/labeling you, but going for humor because your post said "we need more labels" etc.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I still watch Clue every once in a while. That house is one of my favorite sets of all time.
    I hadn't thought about it, but you're right; that is a fantastic house. It's right up there with whatever restaurant or club Saturday Night Live used for the Red Flag perfume commercial (seriously, I need to know where that is).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The poll has closed...the following two titles have been eliminated:

Clue (26.67%)
    As I said elsewhere, I will miss them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2