+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New short story: "The Fifth Step" in Harpers (March '20)

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47's Avatar

Default New short story: "The Fifth Step" in Harpers (March '20)

Looks like the March 2020 issue of Harpers magazine will include “new fiction by Stephen King” based on the cover I’ve seen on eBay. Can’t find out what story it is yet as I haven’t seen a TOC or any info on their website (they still have the Feb info up). Keep the eyes pealed! Maybe an excerpt of one of the stories in IF IT BLEEDS...
    ~Jonathan

Great Old One Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    The girl who loved tom gordon ARC with King's letter
    The Plant #3 Unsigned.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47 is a jewel in the rough jreitan47's Avatar

The story is titled “The Fifth Step” and is four pages long. I just got in a copy here at work today.
    ~Jonathan

Guardian of the Beam Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Goblin-Josh Malerman
    Swan Song S/L

Great Old One Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! Looking forward to read it!
    Wanted list:
    The Plant #3 Unsigned.

Big Coffin Hunter herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool, thanks !
    Is it new or is it from "If it bleeds"?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

I’m thinking it’s a brand new story, there is no mention of excerpt or mention of IF IT BLEEDS in this issue. That was just an assumption on my part earlier when I hadn’t seen it yet. I had posted this and then an issue appeared at my mailroom at work within minutes lol.
    ~Jonathan

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah an excerpt typically wouldn't be published in Harpers and under "new fiction". If anything an excerpt will show up around publication of the book in EW.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read If it Bleeds already and I can confirm there's no relation to something similar as "steps" or "fifth step"
    Wanted list:
    The Plant #3 Unsigned.

Big Coffin Hunter herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest has much to be proud of herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I read If it Bleeds already and I can confirm there's no relation to something similar as "steps" or "fifth step"
    The cover shows that the issue is related to addiction. So it's clearly the 12 steps of AAs
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter

Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

Can you rate IIB on a scale of 1-10?

Guardian of the Beam St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy has much to be proud of St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Scared
    Country
    Country Flag

...or 1 - Different Seasons.
    Eliza dear, you know, there's something I should say

I never really loved you, but I'll miss you anyway

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

Harper's allows you one free article per month, so if you haven't burned through that already, you can read "The Fifth Step"

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Harper's allows you one free article per month, so if you haven't burned through that already, you can read "The Fifth Step"
    Thanks Bev.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I can give my non-spoiler feedback on the stories. If I have to assign a word to the book is FAMILIAR.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone sounds like a very familiar SK story. Both the characters and the evolution of the story are very known by King readers, which makes it enjoyable. The bond between the two characters is also something we already felt (it made me remember of Ted and Bobby from Hearts in Atlantis).

The Life of Chuck is my favorite of the book. It took me on a ride that involved anguish, nostalgy and happiness and probably not in the order it should. It also had familiar moments (the story contains three acts and the second act was the one that rang a bell) and it left me a very good taste in my mouth.

If it Bleeds it's related to The Outsider from the begining, since you have the first Holly Gibney's solo story with a case that has points in common with the novel. I liked it a lot and I'd love to share my theory but I can't since it involves several spoilers.

Rat is like a twisted fabble that, again, will feel very familiar, with a couple factors in common with other King stories. It made me remember a little bit of Secret Windows, Secret Garden.

All the stories have their easter eggs and connections with other King works. While these are not spoilers, in case you don't want to know anything, don't read:

SPOILER
    Wanted list:
    The Plant #3 Unsigned.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Or open in an Incognito tab.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev for the link !

Demon of the Prim Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears is just really nice Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I can give my non-spoiler feedback on the stories. If I have to assign a word to the book is FAMILIAR.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone sounds like a very familiar SK story. Both the characters and the evolution of the story are very known by King readers, which makes it enjoyable. The bond between the two characters is also something we already felt (it made me remember of Ted and Bobby from Hearts in Atlantis).

The Life of Chuck is my favorite of the book. It took me on a ride that involved anguish, nostalgy and happiness and probably not in the order it should. It also had familiar moments (the story contains three acts and the second act was the one that rang a bell) and it left me a very good taste in my mouth.

If it Bleeds it's related to The Outsider from the begining, since you have the first Holly Gibney's solo story with a case that has points in common with the novel. I liked it a lot and I'd love to share my theory but I can't since it involves several spoilers.

Rat is like a twisted fabble that, again, will feel very familiar, with a couple factors in common with other King stories. It made me remember a little bit of Secret Windows, Secret Garden.

All the stories have their easter eggs and connections with other King works. While these are not spoilers, in case you don't want to know anything, don't read:

SPOILER
    Thanks Ari. Familiar is OK when it's good. I look forward to reading the collection in May.

Thanks Bev.

+ Reply to Thread