13 44.83%
  • The Last Emperor

7 24.14%
  • Ordinary People

6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 2 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 2 - Group 2 of 32

During the second round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to four films you would like to move onto the next round. The top four films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Aliens (1986)
    Directed by James Cameron

Watch Trailer

The Lost Boys (1987)
    Directed by Joel Schumacher

Watch Trailer

Friday the 13th (1980)
    Directed by Sean S. Cunningham

Watch Trailer

Amadeus (1984)
    Directed by Miloš Forman

Watch Trailer

The Last Emperor (1987)
    Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci

Watch Trailer

Ordinary People (1980)
    Directed by Robert Redford

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Lost Boys
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Some how THREE Best Picture winners are in the bottom three, with two facing elimination.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Kinda puts the whole Best Picture winner in perspective doesn't it? Most are great but some I never really want to see again.
    Anyway, I still need to see Amadeus, shocking I know but it's one of the few Forman films I've managed to miss thus far. I figured it would hang around long enough for me to get to it so I could see it and decide if I should be voting for it or not.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And I'm surprised the original Friday the 13th is getting this much love after struggling to get seconded. It's not the best of the series.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And I'm surprised the original Friday the 13th is getting this much love after struggling to get seconded. It's not the best of the series.
    Agreed, it's probably the worst one in the entire franchise because it completely destroys the timeline. But it's the only Friday the 13th movie in the entire tournament. So I voted for it as sort of a representative of the franchise overall.

With a couple of notable exceptions like Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason X, the movies are all basically the same. Kids show up in the woods, Jason kills them, one survives and "killls" Jason at the end. Then he gets resurrected in the next movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Agreed, it's probably the worst one in the entire franchise because it completely destroys the timeline. But it's the only Friday the 13th movie in the entire tournament. So I voted for it as sort of a representative of the franchise overall.

With a couple of notable exceptions like Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason X, the movies are all basically the same. Kids show up in the woods, Jason kills them, one survives and "killls" Jason at the end. Then he gets resurrected in the next movie.
    And yet it is the most successful horror franchise ever. And I don't think the first one is the worst one but Part 4 is my favorite. Part 7 holds a special place with me as well because it has three or four openly gay actors in it.

The genius of Part 1 is it's relation to Psycho.

spoiler

And also, part 1 is the only one with a fresh score on RT.

AND it has one of the best scares ever. The one in the boat towards the end. Yeah, that one got me the first time I saw it. I admit it.

I have a feeling if the series stopped at 1, it would be more respected today. But then, no Jason Horror Icon! Yes, it's cheap looking with some bad acting and cheap production values but somehow, it works for me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I actually really enjoy the first one. It's my favorite of the bunch even though Jason as we know him isn't in it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm just hate the fact that they basically had to ret-con the storyline of the first movie to make Jason the killer instead of his mother.

In part 1, Mrs. Voorhees motivation for killing is that fact that she watched her son drown in 1957. Then the majority of the movie takes place 21 years later.

Then is the second movie, Jason somehow survived his drowning and grew up completely alone in the woods (for 21 years!) and his motivation for killing is revenge for his mother. I know suspension of belief and all that considering Jason "dies" multiple times in the franchise. But that has always bugged me.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Hey, SPOILER ALERT!!! JK LOL!
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think you need to separate 1 from the rest of the series. If you look at it by itself I think it's a solid horror film. Yes, it's a bit aged now, but had there been no other ones I agree with Tommy and think it would be more respected.

From 2 on they kinda rewrote the series to include Jason. But that's not the fault of the first movie. That's the fault of them taking something that did well and turning it into a horror franchise. I do wish horror films could stand on their own more, instead of constantly tossing out sequel upon sequel.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Kinda puts the whole Best Picture winner in perspective doesn't it? Most are great but some I never really want to see again.
    Anyway, I still need to see Amadeus, shocking I know but it's one of the few Forman films I've managed to miss thus far. I figured it would hang around long enough for me to get to it so I could see it and decide if I should be voting for it or not.
    Not really. It's just that fun b movies are more accessible to more people than the dour and depressing Ordinary People and a movie full of powdered wigs and classical music. None of these films even come close to Amadeus and I fucking love Aliens.

Amadeus is my #2 film of all time. It's a masterpiece.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember watching Ordinary People at the theaters with my parents, and the families of several of there friends. I was probably around 13 or 14 at the time, and came out of the theater wondering who in their right mind would enjoy such a depressing movie. Since that time, I have been pretty turned off of movies dealing primarily with family angst. (Heck I didn't even like Parenthood because it had too much angst in it).

Sorry, but I hope Ordinary People's run ends here.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    who in their right mind would enjoy such a depressing movie.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to watch Amadeus again. Been at least 10 years since I've watched it, it'll probably be something different to me this time around. And I want to be able to make more accurate decisions down the road in the tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

Sadly, it looks like Amadeus isn't streaming anywhere.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched Friday the 13th for the first time this Halloween. It was okay, but not something I would find myself going back to anytime soon.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Friday the 13th. I saw the second one, but I have not bothered to watch any of the others. The first one, as a stand-alone movie, was very effective. Mainly because you didn't know who was killing people. There was a mystery and suspense and a nice reveal at the end. Plus gore and jump scares. All-in-all a good horror movie. I really had no interest in seeing the sequels because there's no mystery or suspense when you know who the killer is all along. Jason jumps out and kills someone. Then, Jason jumps out and kills someone. A little later, Jason jumps out and kills someone. And, in a suspenseful twist, Jason jumps out and kills someone! Ha ha.

Ok, I know, I know. I'm making assumptions for a series where I never even bothered to watch any of it, so I could be way off. But Part 2 was stupid, and I just assumed the stupid grew with each sequel.

But the original was very effective.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's pretty much the entire series. You're not missing out on much. I've seen them all but I'm not sure which is which except the one in space.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I voted for Friday the 13th. I saw the second one, but I have not bothered to watch any of the others. The first one, as a stand-alone movie, was very effective. Mainly because you didn't know who was killing people. There was a mystery and suspense and a nice reveal at the end. Plus gore and jump scares. All-in-all a good horror movie. I really had no interest in seeing the sequels because there's no mystery or suspense when you know who the killer is all along. Jason jumps out and kills someone. Then, Jason jumps out and kills someone. A little later, Jason jumps out and kills someone. And, in a suspenseful twist, Jason jumps out and kills someone! Ha ha.

Ok, I know, I know. I'm making assumptions for a series where I never even bothered to watch any of it, so I could be way off. But Part 2 was stupid, and I just assumed the stupid grew with each sequel.

But the original was very effective.
    Well, add to the fact that at least 3 or 4 of the people he kills are having sex at the time and you pretty much have the plot of most of the sequels.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Seen the first Friday the 13th on it's release in the theater with my sister. Classic, watched the second at home and never watched the rest. Pretty much the same scenario for Halloween.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Aliens (89.66%)
    2. The Lost Boys (65.52%)
    3. Friday the 13th (55.17%)
    4. Amadeus (44.83%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Last Emperor (24.14%)
    2. Ordinary People (20.69%)

+ Reply to Thread