2 7.14%
  • Grave of the Fireflies

7 25.00%
  • Romancing the Stone

14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 29 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 29 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Videodrome (1983)
    Directed by David Cronenberg

Watch Trailer

After Hours (1985)
    Directed by Martin Scorsese

Watch Trailer

Weird Science (1985)
    Directed by John Hughes

Watch Trailer

A Better Tomorrow (1986)
    Directed by John Woo

Watch Trailer

The Vanishing (1988)
    Directed by George Sluizer

Watch Trailer

Ms .45 (1981)
    Directed by Abel Ferrara

Watch Trailer

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    Directed by Isao Takahata

Watch Trailer

Romancing the Stone (1984)
    Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really hope Grave of the Fireflies goes far and makes the playoffs. Not only is it my #1 film of the 1980s, it's up at the top all-time for me as well.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I watched it. I was truly shocked by how emotionally crushing it was. I'm hoping it moves to the next round.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Videodrome is one of the most bizarre, outrageous, god damn amazing films I've ever seen. None of it possible without Cronenberg's hyper kinetic, sinister imagination.

Spoorloos - disturbing on so many human, primal levels. THAT ENDING.

Grave of the Fireflies - what can I say? A gut wrenching masterpiece. Everyone needs to watch it, everyone.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Vanishing is just superb in every way, so much better than the American remake that came a few years later - they changed the ending for Christ's sake!

A Better Tomorrow is vintage John Woo, with the amazing Chow Fun Fat thrown in. No one does bullets better than Woo!

Country
    Country Flag

I see people are not voting for Ms .45, if you haven't seen it, it's streaming free on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/363093/ms_45

So go watch and I can add a vote later

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Videodrome
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I hope I remember to come back and vote. Weird Science and Videodrome each get a vote from me, but I've been wanting to watch Grave of the Fireflies, so hopefully I can squeeze that in one night this week.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fast track it Heather. Amazing film.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watched it the other night. Great film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Watched it the other night. Great film.
    Yes, I'm so happy that you watched it. It's a masterpiece but such a tough film to watch. To think this was a double feature with Totoro when it came out in Japan...

Yes, I wanted to start bawling

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Weird Science (60.71%)
    2. Romancing the Stone (50.00%)
    3. Videodrome (42.86%)
    4. After Hours (35.71%)
    5. The Vanishing (32.14%)
    6. Grave of the Fireflies (25.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. A Better Tomorrow (10.71%)
    2. Ms .45 (7.14%)

+ Reply to Thread