25 86.21%
  • Dead Ringers

7 24.14%
  • See No Evil, Hear No Evil

11 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 27 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 27 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Akira (1988)
    Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo

Watch Trailer

Come and See (1985)
    Directed by Elem Klimov

Watch Trailer

Better Off Dead (1985)
    Directed by Savage Steve Holland

Watch Trailer

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
    Directed by Woody Allen

Watch Trailer

The Killer (1989)
    Directed by John Woo

Watch Trailer

The Thing (1982)
    Directed by John Carpenter

Watch Trailer

Dead Ringers (1988)
    Directed by David Cronenberg

Watch Trailer

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)
    Directed by Arthur Hiller

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Kinda a week group for me, but I do hope The Thing goes far, one of my favorite horror movies.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I do agree that the blockbusters should be seeded somehow.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Akira, a benchmark of animated films that changed the way those films are perceived.

Come And See, the greatest war film ever made. Period.

The Killer, The Thing, Dead Ringers - personal favorites.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Akira, a benchmark of animated films that changed the way those films are perceived.

Come And See, the greatest war film ever made. Period.

The Killer, The Thing, Dead Ringers - personal favorites.
    The Killer deserves a bigger following. Chow Yun Fat is the man!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Better Off Dead
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised more people haven't seen The Killer.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm surprised more people haven't seen The Killer.
    Me too, and A Better Tomorrow. To truly appreciate the influences on the American action film, the two of these are musts of the action genre.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

HOW DOES AKIRA ONLY HAVE 7 VOTES

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Because people consider animation and comics an inferior art form. There's more to it than that of course, but that's at the root of the "problem". My co-workers bust my balls about comics and then try to turn me onto these new shows such as The Umbrella Academy, Happy, The October Faction, Doom Patrol, Outcast, Locke and Key, The Boys etc. and because I don't really like to engage with idiots, I usually respond with "Cool, I'll check it out."

I actually brought my copies of A History of Violence and The Road to Perdition to work the one and only time to make a point to my former mouth breathing co-worker.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Because people consider animation and comics an inferior art form. There's more to it than that of course, but that's at the root of the "problem". My co-workers bust my balls about comics and then try to turn me onto these new shows such as The Umbrella Academy, Happy, The October Faction, Doom Patrol, Outcast, Locke and Key, The Boys etc. and because I don't really like to engage with idiots, I usually respond with "Cool, I'll check it out."

I actually brought my copies of A History of Violence and The Road to Perdition to work the one and only time to make a point to my former mouth breathing co-worker.
    That and Anime was extraordinarily niche until maybe the last 15 years or so. There was a lot of ground breaking stuff to come out of Japan in the 80s but most of it got overlooked by western audiences as a whole until much later.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Thing (86.21%)
    2. See No Evil, Hear No Evil (37.93%)
    3. Better Off Dead (31.03%)
    4. Akira (27.59%)
    5. Dead Ringers (24.14%)
    6. The Killer (24.14%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Hannah and Her Sisters (17.24%)
    2. Come and See (10.34%)

+ Reply to Thread