• Return of the Jedi

22 78.57%
  • Re-Animator

10 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 17 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 1 - Group 17 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Last Emperor (1987)
    Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci

Watch Trailer

An American Tail (1986)
    Directed by Don Bluth

Watch Trailer

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)
    Directed by Joe Johnston

Watch Trailer

Taps (1981)
    Directed by Harold Becker

Watch Trailer

Summer School (1987)
    Directed by Carl Reiner

Watch Trailer

The Color Purple (1985)
    Directed by Steven Spielberg

Watch Trailer

Return of the Jedi (1983)
    Directed by Richard Marquand

Watch Trailer

Re-Animator (1985)
    Directed by Stuart Gordon

Watch Trailer

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

wow, only seen one in this group. (3 guess on which one, and the first 2 don't count)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Color Purple
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We need more Taps love!

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What a weak ass group!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    We need more Taps love!

Taps is a great movie. Saw it in the theater when it was released. Not sure how Re-Animator is ahead of it.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have loved to have seen that in a theater.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars movie and it's at 75%?

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I can agree with you on Elvira....not on this.....damn Ewoks should have been Wookies.

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I think Return of the Jedi contains everything I love about Star Wars, yes even the Ewoks. The whole Endor thing was great fun, but also the weird aliens back at Jabba's place, it was everything great about the original trilogy rolled into one!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have to disagree. Empire is the best.

Country
    Country Flag

But... nothing happens in Empire.

Country
    Country Flag

Wha???

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

They introduced an iconic character in Yoda and there was arguably the biggest reveal in movie history.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    They introduced an iconic character in Yoda and there was arguably the biggest reveal in movie history.
    THIS. And lets just remember these truly iconic scenes: Luke and the wampa, Han and his Tauntaun, At-AT battle scene, Millenium Falcon hiding in the exogorth, Cloud City and Lando's betrayal, the trash compactor, Han in carbonite… I could go on. This is what you think of when someone says Star Wars. This is Star Wars at it's best. I honestly don't remember much about Jedi except the silly Ewoks and "the bikini".

Country
    Country Flag

Those are all scenes and some a great on their own, but there is almost no plot. Luke goeas away for training, feels his friends are in dangers, goes back to save them, needs saving himself, they scoop him up, the end. Not much of a plot.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm partial to the original myself.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Those are all scenes and some a great on their own, but there is almost no plot. Luke goeas away for training, feels his friends are in dangers, goes back to save them, needs saving himself, they scoop him up, the end. Not much of a plot.
    Who needs a plot when you've got all that amazing going on

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    What a weak ass group!
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but that's how I feel. I haven't voted for anyone.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    What a weak ass group!
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but that's how I feel. I haven't voted for anyone.
    No sarcasm. I love The Color Purple, but everything else is flawed. I did throw one extra vote Re-Animator's way.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Color Purple is fantastic and Whoopi is just brilliant in it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    One of my best weeks in school is when I show The Color Purple to my sophomores. Such a brilliant film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my best weeks in school is when I show The Color Purple to my sophomores. Such a brilliant film.
    Do you show any other films?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very few full fledged films. I'm not one of those teachers that likes to watch the film of the book we just read - except for Baz Lurhman's Romeo and Juliet because it's a great vehicle to explore the longterm relevance of Shakespeare's work, and even then we will have looked at two key scenes from the Zefferelli classic. I like showing some key scenes for comparative purposes. I do show some Twilight Zone episodes when we study the modern fable, but they are not films. Also, I show Much Ado About Nothing to my juniors when we read Shakespeare - Branagh's interpretations of Shakespeare are brilliant. Some years in my Dramatic Literature course we read Neil Simon's The Female Odd Couple, and then we watch the original version for comparative purposes as well. We talk about film all the time in class, as a reference point, but there's not enough time to watch them in their entirety. Maybe I can get a film course going someday.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very few full fledged films. I'm not one of those teachers that likes to watch the film of the book we just read - except for Baz Lurhman's Romeo and Juliet because it's a great vehicle to explore the longterm relevance of Shakespeare's work, and even then we will have looked at two key scenes from the Zefferelli classic. I like showing some key scenes for comparative purposes. I do show some Twilight Zone episodes when we study the modern fable, but they are not films. Also, I show Much Ado About Nothing to my juniors when we read Shakespeare - Branagh's interpretations of Shakespeare are brilliant. Some years in my Dramatic Literature course we read Neil Simon's The Female Odd Couple, and then we watch the original version for comparative purposes as well. We talk about film all the time in class, as a reference point, but there's not enough time to watch them in their entirety. Maybe I can get a film course going someday.
    Very cool! Sounds like a great class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast