Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only five spots remain and so many great and big titles are yet to be seconded!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One plug for Cat People to make it through. Really atmospheric erotic/mystery/fantasy/horror/detective thriller with an intriguing premise and wonderful feline performances by Nastassja Kinski and Malcolm McDowell.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've only got about 20 or so movies left on my list. None that I think are really great but I liked them well enough.

Plus the rest of the un-nominated movies from the popular 80's horror franchises like Friday the 13th, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm St. Although none of those are particularly memorable either. Many of them run together in my mind and it's hard to remember which scene happened in which movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    One plug for Cat People to make it through. Really atmospheric erotic/mystery/fantasy/horror/detective thriller with an intriguing premise and wonderful feline performances by Nastassja Kinski and Malcolm McDowell.
    That's one I wanted to second but with only 5 more to go, I have to think it through.

Also I want to give a big plug for The Big Blue. It's an amazing movie to watch even if it doesn't make it into the tournament.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Kickboxer!! - VAN DAMME
    This tournament needs more decent action movies in it... SECONDED!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I'll Second Cocoon

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It's utterly disturbing but definitely one of a kind.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've got a handful left I'd like to nominate but I doubt I will get to so....

Body Heat
    A Room with a View
    Maurice
    Kagemusha
    Stardust Memories
    The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Cheesy musical but I love it and we are woefully short on them for this decade)

Any interest in any of those? If not, I will end my nominations now.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mystic pizza - 1988

https://youtu.be/muLvjpHGHig

Country
    Country Flag

Barefoot Gen (1983)
    Mori Masaki

Watch video:

Nomination 30

A Room with a View 1985 Ivory

Spoiler

BTW, the soundtrack to Purple Rain is exquisite and one of the greatest of all time but the movie I am a bit dubious about.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominate The Toxic Avenger (1984)
    Second

Its getting to the point there are a lot of movies I remember liking a lot, but have very little recollection of.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My Last nomination:

Maximum Overdrive
    Stephen King
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Body Heat
    This definitely should have been nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Body Heat
    This definitely should have been nominated.
    I felt that way too but I had mentioned it a few pages back and there was no response so I thought little interest in it. There was already a Kasdan on the list and I really wanted an Ivory to make it on the list so.... Hopefully folks will seek out the unseconded nominees as well.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Turner and Hooch!
    Always love a good dog movie.... SECONDED!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thats it!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

And that makes it 256. Our list is set for the tournament. If you're unfamiliar with some of the entries or just need a refresher, please do make an effort to seek them out on streaming or what have you, if you can. That makes things more fair. And I do think of the films not seconded as honorable mentions, so do feel free to dip into that pool as well!

I'm not sure yet when we'll start voting, but it's likely going to be one of the upcoming Mondays, January 27 or February 3.

Thank you all for such wonderful participation in the nominating process! I feel like we've gotten a great slice of all things '80s, from art-house fare to muscly action movies to cheesy comedies and teen movies. We even got all of the Studio Ghibli output from the decade!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Well shoot, I guess I was too late.

Anyway, here's what I had left on my list in no particular order. Nothing really ground-breaking IMO.

Look Who's Talking
    The Karate Kid 2
    The Karate Kid 3
    Flight of the Navigator
    Lady in White
    The Wizard
    Wildcats
    Back to School
    Spies Like Us
    Mickey's Christmas Carol
    Howard the Duck
    Cat's Eye
    Firestarter
    Teen Witch
    Tango and Cash
    Mannequin
    History of the World, Part 1
    Adventures in Babysitting
    The Brave Little Toaster
    Crocodile Dundee
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    The Secret of NIMH
    Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment
    Police Academy 3: Back in Training
    Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol
    Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach
    Police Academy 6: City Under Siege
    Nightmare on Elm St. 2: Freddy's Revenge
    Nightmare on Elm St. 4: The Dream Master
    Nightmare on Elm St. 5: The Final Nightmare
    Friday the 13th Part 2
    Friday the 13th Part 3
    Friday the 13th 4: The Final Chapter
    Friday the 13th 5: A New Beginning
    Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
    Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
    Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
    Halloween II
    Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
    Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
    Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Here were the remaining picks I had if anyone's curious:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Anyway, here's what I had left on my list in no particular order. Nothing really ground-breaking IMO.

The Secret of NIMH
    Well, I know this one went through, cuz I nominated it. Not sure about the others, but most of the ones you listed that are parts 2,3, whatever were pretty crappy.

Country
    Country Flag

Some stats:

Number of nominations per year:
    • 1980: 13 (5%)
    • 1981: 18 (7%)
    • 1982: 26 (10%)
    • 1983: 18 (7%)
    • 1984: 26 (10%)
    • 1985: 28 (11%)
    • 1986: 26 (10%)
    • 1987: 33 (13%)
    • 1988: 33 (13%)
    • 1989: 35 (14%)

Directors with multiple nominations:

Alan Parker: Angel Heart; The Wall
    Barry Levinson: Good Morning, Vietnam; Rain Man
    Bob Clark: A Christmas Story; Porky's
    Chuck Russell: A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors; The Blob
    Clint Eastwood: Pale Rider; Sudden Impact
    Dario Argento: Opera; Tenebre
    David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams: Airplane!; Top Secret!
    David Lynch: Blue Velvet; The Elephant Man
    George Miller: Mad Max 2; The Witches of Eastwick
    Harold Ramis: Caddyshack; National Lampoon's Vacation
    Herbert Ross: Footloose; Steel Magnolias
    Howard Deutch: Pretty in Pink; Some Kind of Wonderful
    James L. Brooks: Broadcast News; Terms of Endearment
    Jean-Jacques Annaud: The Bear; The Name of the Rose
    Jim Henson: Labyrinth; The Dark Crystal
    Joel Coen: Blood Simple; Raising Arizona
    Joel Schumacher: St. Elmo's Fire; The Lost Boys
    John Badham: Short Circuit; Wargames
    John McTiernan: Die Hard; Predator
    John Milius: Conan the Barbarian; Red Dawn
    John Woo: A Better Tomorrow; The Killer
    Martha Coolidge: Real Genius; Valley Girl
    Martin Brest: Beverly Hills Cop; Midnight Run
    Ridley Scott: Blade Runner; Legend
    Sam Raimi: Evil Dead II; The Evil Dead
    Stanley Kubrick: Full Metal Jacket; The Shining
    Sylvester Stallone: Rocky III; Rocky IV
    Ted Kotcheff: First Blood; Weekend at Bernie's
    Terry Gilliam: Brazil; Time Bandits
    Tim Burton: Batman; Beetlejuice
    Wim Wenders: Paris, Texas; Wings of Desire
    Wolfgang Petersen: Das Boot; The Neverending Story

Adrian Lyne: 9½ Weeks; Fatal Attraction; Flashdance
    David Zucker: Airplane!; Top Secret!; The Naked Gun
    Don Bluth: An American Tail; The Land Before Time; The Secret of NIMH
    Frank Oz: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels; Little Shop of Horrors; The Dark Crystal
    Ivan Reitman: Ghostbusters; Stripes; Twins
    James Cameron: Aliens; The Abyss; The Terminator
    Joe Dante: Gremlins; Innerspace; The 'Burbs
    Oliver Stone: Born on the Fourth of July; Platoon; Wall Street
    Peter Weir: Dead Poets Society; Gallipoli; Witness
    Tony Scott: Beverly Hills Cop II; The Hunger; Top Gun
    Woody Allen: Crimes and Misdemeanors; Hannah and Her Sisters; The Purple Rose of Cairo

Brian De Palma: Blow Out; Body Double; Scarface; The Untouchables
    Hayao Miyazaki: Castle in the Sky; Kiki's Delivery Service; My Neighbor Totoro; Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Martin Scorsese: After Hours; Raging Bull; The King of Comedy; The Last Temptation of Christ
    Rob Reiner: Stand by Me; The Princess Bride; This is Spinal Tap; When Harry Met Sally
    Robert Zemeckis: Back to the Future; Back to the Future Part II; Romancing the Stone; Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Ron Howard: Cocoon; Night Shift; Splash; Willow

David Cronenberg: Dead Ringers; Scanners; The Dead Zone; The Fly; Videodrome
    John Carpenter: Big Trouble in Little China; Christine; Escape from New York; The Thing; They Live
    John Landis: An American Werewolf in London; Coming to America; The Blues Brothers; Three Amigos; Trading Places
    Richard Donner: Ladyhawke; Lethal Weapon; Lethal Weapon 2; Scrooged; The Goonies
    Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; Raiders of the Lost Ark; The Color Purple

John Hughes: Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Sixteen Candles; The Breakfast Club; Uncle Buck; Weird Science

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

The Secret of NIMH
    Well, I know this one went through, cuz I nominated it. Not sure about the others, but most of the ones you listed that are parts 2,3, whatever were pretty crappy.
    Yep, missed that one.

My list was really starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

I also had a few extreme horror/disturbing pics left but I felt like people would get mad about some of them like Cannibal Holocaust, Nekromantik and In a Glass Cage. Maybe one day we could have the Most Disturbing Movie Tournament. I would win that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast