Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Yes, I'm surprised it took this long for First Blood.
    I’ll also be doing the second one if no one takes it. I loved them both. I actually liked them all. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, need to hold back First Blood since it's been only four nominations between for Kris. Once another nomination comes in, we'll officially count it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It is one of Newman's best performances and I have nearly seconded it several times but then I think of how many other great Lumet films there are and would The Verdict even crack his top five? I'm still debating that one...but I will SECOND The King of Comedy and after that, I'm going after Once Upon a time in America but must wait....
    I agree with you. Lumet had an amazing career and I don't think I would put The Verdict in his top 5 either. That being said, this is an '80s tournament. If you're telling me Lumet made a better film in the '80s I want to hear it. Also, I refuse to believe that there are 256 better films made in the decade than The Verdict. I would be willing to bet it's on every one of those lists Mae posts.
    What about Prince of the City?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It is one of Newman's best performances and I have nearly seconded it several times but then I think of how many other great Lumet films there are and would The Verdict even crack his top five? I'm still debating that one...but I will SECOND The King of Comedy and after that, I'm going after Once Upon a time in America but must wait....
    I agree with you. Lumet had an amazing career and I don't think I would put The Verdict in his top 5 either. That being said, this is an '80s tournament. If you're telling me Lumet made a better film in the '80s I want to hear it. Also, I refuse to believe that there are 256 better films made in the decade than The Verdict. I would be willing to bet it's on every one of those lists Mae posts.
    I haven't seen that one yet, but I find it hard to believe it's better than The Verdict. Again, my guess is that the Verdict appears on more lists of the best films of the '80s than Prince of the City.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Little shop of horrors - 1986

https://youtu.be/jFENSU8CmZk

Country
    Country Flag

And now First Blood can be counted.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    3 weeks is not a lot of time brah
    Was just thinking that.

Especially with all the Oscar viewing coming up.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought this one would have been nominated by now. I guess maybe it's not as popular as I always thought.

Nomination:
    Red Dawn(1984)
    Director: John Milius

Watch Trailer

Second: Three Amigos. So funny.
    Seconded, it was on my list.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And since no one else is going to nominate this absolutely unMATCHed classic film, I guess I have to!

Nomination #12 - No Holds Barred (1989)
    Directed by Thomas J. Wright
    Spoiler:
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
    Robert Altman

Watch trailer:

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen that one yet, but I find it hard to believe it's better than The Verdict. Again, my guess is that the Verdict appears on more lists of the best films of the '80s than Prince of the City.
    Well, I don't have a horse in this race as I have seen (or heard of) neither movie, but based on the 9 lists Mae provided The Verdict appeared on 0, and Prince of the City appeared on 1 (The 20 Best 80's movies that time forgot).
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Creepshow
    George A Romero
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Steel Magnolias. I had the pleasure of directing this a few years back in my high school.
    Spoiler:
    Not a dry eye in the house!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Creepshow
    George A Romero
    SECOND, obviously!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Nomination 14

Tenebre 1982 Argento

Don't watch the trailer if you haven't seen this one. Like all horror trailers, it gives away some of the kills...

NSFW Trailer

Country
    Country Flag

Tenebre seconded.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
    Robert Altman

Watch trailer:
    Second

Also, does no one care for St Elmo's Fire? I always loved that one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Lucas (1986)
    David Seltzer

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Shamefully, that's one of my blindspots. I know it's a popular film, even though critically it failed (44% on Rotten Tomatoes), I just never had a chance to see it for some reason all these years. Looks like it's not streaming anywhere either, otherwise I'd love to catch up.

Fanny and Alexander Seconded

Shamefully, that's one of my blindspots. I know it's a popular film, even though critically it failed (44% on Rotten Tomatoes), I just never had a chance to see it for some reason all these years. Looks like it's not streaming anywhere either, otherwise I'd love to catch up.
    I think you would enjoy it. It's a grown up version of The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink type movies. It also has A Beautiful Girls feel to it. Hopefully you'll be able to find it somewhere to rent.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second The Little Mermaid.

I nominate Police Story (1985); dir. by Jackie Chan

Country
    Country Flag

I think you would enjoy it. It's a grown up version of The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink type movies. It also has A Beautiful Girls feel to it. Hopefully you'll be able to find it somewhere to rent.
    I'll try. Also, I had a feeling you'd second Jimmy Dean, Heather

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

EDIT: Changing my nom.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Kinda surprised none of these or any of the Halloween movies have been nominated yet. I only see one Friday the 13th nom'd.

Nightmare on Elm St. (1984)
    Wes Craven

Spoiler:
    I nominated that one awhile back and I'm pretty sure it got seconded

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast