Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 105 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I've never heard of the press. I loved those original 3 Shannara books when they came out- I was the right age (teen) at the time, and they came along after I had read Tolkien to death, over and over. Although not as good as Tolkien- nobody was/is in that genre- they were a fun distraction. Although I don't read this kind of Fantasy anymore- I just may bite on a set for nostalgia's sake. Thanks again for the post.

Ron
    Grim Oak was started so the owner, Shawn Speakman, could help eliminate his medical bills from cancer treatment. He's continued to pay it forward with the new books his press publishes. He is responsible for the anthology Unfettered and he will be producing the limited/lettered Mark Lawrence Broken Empire trilogy.

He also runs The Signed Page where you can get signed/personalized books from other fantasy authors. http://signedpage.com
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I might buy these. They look pretty nice and the price isn't bad.

I read the Shannara series as they came out.
    I might go for the limited.
    If you want the lettered, note you only have a short time left to apply to be in the lottery (and also note there is an option to pre-pay for all 3 and save $100)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I've never heard of the press. I loved those original 3 Shannara books when they came out- I was the right age (teen) at the time, and they came along after I had read Tolkien to death, over and over. Although not as good as Tolkien- nobody was/is in that genre- they were a fun distraction. Although I don't read this kind of Fantasy anymore- I just may bite on a set for nostalgia's sake. Thanks again for the post.

Ron
    Grim Oak was started so the owner, Shawn Speakman, could help eliminate his medical bills from cancer treatment. He's continued to pay it forward with the new books his press publishes. He is responsible for the anthology Unfettered and he will be producing the limited/lettered Mark Lawrence Broken Empire trilogy.

He also runs The Signed Page where you can get signed/personalized books from other fantasy authors. http://signedpage.com
    Didn't know any of that either, Becca- thanks!

on

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew about signedpage.com but not the rest.

Thanks from me too.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No problem. Shawn is a great guy and I'm happy to support his companies.

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, he costs me a pretty penny though! I have s/l Unfettered, have pre-ordered s/l Unbound (another anthology) and s/lBroken Empire. Now waiting for these Shannara and then the the Unfettered 2 announcement! I only have Unfettered to go on so far, but its a good quality book and the prices are pretty decent. And as Becca says, there's a good cause behind it all too.

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't decided on Shannara yet just because I've never read any of the books, although I did pick up the B&N special signed edition of Elfstones over the holidays. I also watched a few episodes of the show. I don't think I'll go for the lettered editions but I might pull the trigger on the S/Ls. I did secure a lettered of Broken Empire which I really wanted - love, love, love Mark Lawrence.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't really sure where to ask this. I ordered the American version of I Am Legend deluxe bluray (the one in the long box). I received the one that has French and English, I assume the Canadian version. I can get a full refund, but does anyone know if there is a difference other than the dual language on the box?

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is this legit? Pretty blurry photos. Seems to be asking way under value if you take his word for original cost. I tend to think it's just an early printing book with a photocopied letter.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322070216271

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Is this legit? Pretty blurry photos. Seems to be asking way under value if you take his word for original cost. I tend to think it's just an early printing book with a photocopied letter.

The letter is probably legit. The book is not even close to a first edition. Going from memory (I'll look it up later) it is from 1928. Over 30 years after the first edition in 1897. The book can usually be had for $100 or less depending on condition. I would stay away from this auction.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

The letter is probably legit. The book is not even close to a first edition. Going from memory (I'll look it up later) it is from 1928. Over 30 years after the first edition in 1897. The book can usually be had for $100 or less depending on condition. I would stay away from this auction.
    Thanks! I figured you would know.

Country
    Country Flag

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by somekindofstranger View Post
    If you look at the link you posted it looks like copyrighted in 1897 then renewed in 1921.
    Date(s): 1921, c1897

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    If you look at the link you posted it looks like copyrighted in 1897 then renewed in 1921.
    Date(s): 1921, c1897
    Doubleday Page published that book a few times over several years. The first one may have been published in 1921. My copy (and most others I have seen) have a 1927 date on the title page. It is said to be #6 in the Doubleday Page Lambskin Library. I have not seen any others in the series but, I guess, the red binding is lambskin. Regardless of the date I think it is a pretty common book. It might be interesting to try to find one dated 1921 though.

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting.
    But the main point is - it's definitely not a 1st as advertised!

Interesting.
    Yes. So essentially you would be buying the letter for $900 and I think that is too high.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Interesting.
    Yes. So essentially you would be buying the letter for $900 and I think that is too high.
    I agree. I wasn't all that impressed with the presentation, either.

What is sad is that I suspect the seller did pay $5800 at The Art of Music in Las Vegas. I have been in that store and others like it and find their prices ridiculous. He got taken in a big way, realizes it now and is trying to salvage something (anything).

I'm not sure what a signed letter by Bram Stoker is worth. He probably wrote hundreds as manager of the Lyceum Theater. Maybe $300, max?

Country
    Country Flag

I picked up some old Omni magazines for next to nothing yesterday. I'm not done going through them yet, but one has the first printing of Sandkings by George R. R. Martin. Another has part one of Carrion Comfort novelette by Dan Simmons. One has the first printing of Trapdoor by Ray Bradbury.

Do any of these have any value?

Country
    Country Flag

This seems to have been a low key launch, but Grim Oak Press are now taking pre-orders for the first 3 Shannara books

http://grimoakpress.com/2016/04/25/p...-shannara-now/

(the option to purchase a lettered edition was determined by a draw. Only the signed limited edition can be pre-ordered).

You can also choose to have the 3 books shipped in one go (if you wait till the 3rd is published in 2017) or one by one.
    As Shipping to the UK would be $49 a book individually or $86 combined, I opted to be patient and wait!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

This seems to have been a low key launch, but Grim Oak Press are now taking pre-orders for the first 3 Shannara books

(the option to purchase a lettered edition was determined by a draw. Only the signed limited edition can be pre-ordered).

You can also choose to have the 3 books shipped in one go (if you wait till the 3rd is published in 2017) or one by one.
    As Shipping to the UK would be $49 a book individually or $86 combined, I opted to be patient and wait!
    I just checked my email and I was chosen to purchase the lettered editions. Now I have to figure out how to pay for them.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I just checked my email and I was chosen to purchase the lettered editions. Now I have to figure out how to pay for them.
    Congrats! I'm on the fence about these so I didn't sign up for the lettered editions. I feel like I want to get them, but I've never read Terry Brooks... but I do love Shawn's products.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Brian. I got lucky as well!!

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

Congratulations, Brian. I got lucky as well!!

sk
    Well done Guys :-)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved these books when I was teenager. I didn't follow the series as it progressed but the storyline stuck with me and I was able to pass this cool series unto my daughter. Wish I could swing these for my daughter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 105 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast