Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 105 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2618

Thread: Other authors you collect

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your support!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got two signed/LIMITED books by the great CORMAC MCCARTHY

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephany meyer

joking!

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    Stephany meyer

joking!
    Well, you could make some money if you had some signed books...I actually passed up the opp to get some because I didnt know who she was.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killbourne View Post
    Just got two signed/LIMITED books by the great CORMAC MCCARTHY
    Let's see 'em!

Simon:

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

please...noooooo!!!!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    please...noooooo!!!!!!!
    Im curious to ask why?

Country
    Country Flag

Took a break from collecting uncle steve and have finally and proud to say that I have finished collecting a signed set of THE BORDER TRILOGY by McCarthy. Not cheap, but negotiated some damn fine prices compared to what I have seen on the net.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    please...noooooo!!!!!!!
    Im curious to ask why?
    I meant please no to S. Meyer books.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Took a break from collecting uncle steve and have finally and proud to say that I have finished collecting a signed set of THE BORDER TRILOGY by McCarthy. Not cheap, but negotiated some damn fine prices compared to what I have seen on the net.
    That's fantastic! I'd love to see photos of the books and the sigs sometime.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Default Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? by Joyce Carol Oates

I love this story and was thinking about trying to find it's original publishing in Epoch 1966. I'm not even sure what Epoch is but I can;t really find anything through google or abes, does anyone know anything about this title and it's scarcity?
    Thanks for reading.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I love this story and was thinking about trying to find it's original publishing in Epoch 1966. I'm not even sure what Epoch is but I can;t really find anything through google or abes, does anyone know anything about this title and it's scarcity?
    Thanks for reading.
    EPOCH is a magazine published by Cornell University since 1947.

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/english/...#subscriptions

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Thanks for reading.
    EPOCH is a magazine published by Cornell University since 1947.

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/english/...#subscriptions

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
    I did not know this was Cornell thanks.

Gunslinger Apprentice chrise will become famous soon enough chrise's Avatar

Anyone else here a big China Mieville fan/collector?

-Chris

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by chrise View Post

-Chris
    Only have a few, my pride and joy is my limited to 250 from the illustrator Reinhard Kleist signed and remarqued and of cause signed from China Miéville.
    SPIEGEL (The Tain)

Gunslinger Apprentice chrise will become famous soon enough chrise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrise View Post

-Chris
    Only have a few, my pride and joy is my limited to 250 from the illustrator Reinhard Kleist signed and remarqued and of cause signed from China Miéville.
    SPIEGEL (The Tain)
    Just checked out the pics on your collection. Beautiful!

Along the Path of the Beam deanhoadley is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone collect Lee Child at all?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Some Mike Resnick proofs I've found in the last few months:

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found this article about this very old auction... but those books looks amazing : FRANKENSTEIN true 1st edition
    >>> http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...prte-pr120706a

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy shit!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

How cool would it be to own that?!

The auction listing is an interesting read.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

paying $150 for Dean Koontz Dark Rivers of the Heart S/L.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Over the last 6 months or so I've picked up copies of the three Dune series signed limiteds done by Frank Herbert. Interestingly, he signed two of them in locations other than the limitation page.
    These three are pretty standard 1980's big publisher S/Ls. Cloth bound with a matching slipcase and no dust jacket.

Knowing that I can neither afford, nor justify the cost of signed trade copies of the first three Dune novels, I'm glad the last three were given S/Ls that I could afford to add to my collection.

God Emperor of Dune

Heretics of Dune

Chapterhouse: Dune
    Mark Twain

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

In 2006 I watched the movie The Prestige. I absolutely loved it and immediately watched it again. The next day I watched it again. I think I have seen it twice more since then. There is something about that story that really gets into me. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I started looking for a first edition. I found that they were really expensive and online dealers were quoting figures like "only 200 printed in the first edition" and "between 200 and 500 printed." I finally found a F/F copy that was signed for a reasonable price and told myself that one day I needed to read the book.

I only recently got around to reading the book. I loved it even more than the movie. I think in this instance having already seen the movie INCREASED my enjoyment of the book, if that is possible. There are a few plot twists that are not in the movie and caught me completely by surprise. I think it is just a fantastic book. Anyway (because I am a book collector and what else would you expect me to do?) I found and bought an ARC/proof. On the back of the proof they mention a "massive PR and promotional campaign." I thought that was weird as supposedly they only printed 200 to 500 copies of the first edition.

I asked the seller who seemed knowledgeable about the book and he thought the 200 to 500 copy numbers were made up by some bookseller to enhance the saleability of his book and that the numbers just got perpetuated by other sellers. He suggested that I contact the author, Christopher Priest, and see if he knew. I found Mr. Priest's website and asked him. I was pleasantly surprised to get this reply just a few hours later:

Dear Mr Jackson

I thought no one would ever ask.

I don't know where those estimated figures for the print-run of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige came from. Not from me, and certainly not from the publisher. I have always assumed it was a used book dealers' fiction to keep the price up.

When it was first published The Prestige was released as a conventional trade hardback novel, and would therefore have been given a conventionally sized UK first printing. According to sales figures I would estimate the minimum print was 2,000 copies, and probably as high as 3,000. It was never to my knowledge reprinted in hardcover by Touchstone.

However, to put these figures in context. Firstly, although the Touchstone edition is a handsome production it is not well manufactured: the paper is too thin and the binding is weak. Copies once read or carelessly handled are often damaged. As is common in the UK, most sales of hardback fiction are to lending libraries, and you can safely assume that all those copies, if they reached the secondhand market now, would also be damaged or seriously over-used. Finally, my novels in hardback are bought by a core audience of readers, who appear to collect and keep their own copies. Good secondhand copies almost never enter the used trade. I am an habitual book-buyer myself, spending much time in s/h bookstores, and in the last 40 years I have only ever seen ONE copy of one of my first editions on sale in an ordinary UK bookstore (and that was at a fancy price). It might be different in the USA, of course.

What all this means is that clean or mint or unread copies of the Touchstone edition of The Prestige are genuinely rare. The scarcity is for those reasons, not because only a small number were printed. Used-book dealers are entitled to get what they can for scarce editions, so I don't complain, but I believe what I've told you here is the reality.

All best wishes

Christopher Priest

I thought this was pretty cool and the point to emphasize is to not accept print run numbers listed in book listings as facts. I am as guilty as anyone in repeating print run numbers that I have heard or read and accepting them as true. Few people really know for sure and online booksellers are an unreliable source. They get accepted by collectors as facts and we perpetuate the inaccuracies.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 105 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast