Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Traveler Min is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I'm not much of a King collector (at least compared to some here). I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy collector, focusing mainly on George R. R. Martin. I'm currently trying to complete my collection of the first appearances of his short stories, which started in fanzines and comics in the 60s.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Min View Post
    To be honest, I'm not much of a King collector (at least compared to some here). I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy collector, focusing mainly on George R. R. Martin. I'm currently trying to complete my collection of the first appearances of his short stories, which started in fanzines and comics in the 60s.
    Good luck! George R. R. Martin is sweet, I also collect Martin. I like horror, fantasy, and sci-fi, and George does all three. So he's a joy to read, and collect.
    Geoff

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Other than King and Hill, I collect the S/Ls of Koontz's Odd Thomas books. My other signed books are just a random mix from authors I like.
    I know the new Odd Thomas book is being offered in an S/L, but I'm wondering if anyone is going to a Koontz signing any time soon. I'd like to get a personalized signed 1st/1st of the trade edition of ODD HOURS.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Other than King and Hill, I collect the S/Ls of Koontz's Odd Thomas books. My other signed books are just a random mix from authors I like.
    I know the new Odd Thomas book is being offered in an S/L, but I'm wondering if anyone is going to a Koontz signing any time soon. I'd like to get a personalized signed 1st/1st of the trade edition of ODD HOURS.
    I don't think he is doing any formal signings for the book. I ordered a signed/dated copy from Book Carnival a couple of weeks ago. They said he was just doing as many as were ordered at his home and there were no plans for an event. If I recall correctly they were not honoring requests for personalization.

I should qualify the above statement by saying that I don't keep up with Koontz's comings and goings and he may very well have some formal signings scheduled but the way the Book Carnival website read I got the feeling that he didn't.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Book Carnival
    Just to note, Koontz signs of all of his trade editions when they come out through this store.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Book Carnival
    Just to note, Koontz signs of all of his trade editions when they come out through this store.
    And you can get them for just the retail price plus shipping. It is worth it to be on Book Carnival's mailing list. They also have signings by several other authors.

Traveler jwangner is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha. Some signed, majority aren't.

Also have Brad Meltzer (signed), and some books by Michael Connelly (signed). I have many Koontz books, but have stopped purchasing Connelly and Koontz for now - my bookcases are getting too filled with the King, et al items.

Quote Originally Posted by jwangner View Post
    I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha.
    Do you collect books written by Tabitha because you really enjoy her writing or do you collect them because she is King's wife? I'm just curious.

Country
    Country Flag

I just recently started collecting Tabitha...mainly because of last month's PEN/Faulkner reading/reception in Washington DC. I went and listened to her reading (as well as Owen's and Stephen's) and I became curious about her writing. Prior to that night, I really didn't know what to expect from her writing or if I would be interested.

But I read Candles Burning, and enjoyed it. So I went on to Survivor. I liked that book too. So now I am trying to track down some of her other books - even the libraries in my area don't stock her books in all their locations

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha.
    Do you collect books written by Tabitha because you really enjoy her writing or do you collect them because she is King's wife? I'm just curious.
    So far, I'm a "because she's King's wife" collector, but I do intend to read her books. I've heard some were good...some not so. I've got 4 or 5 First Editions (including Small World) and one signed.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Bob and Geoff. I'll google Book Carnival.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i'm a big Crichton fan.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    So far, I'm a "because she's King's wife" collector, but I do intend to read her books. I've heard some were good...some not so. I've got 4 or 5 First Editions (including Small World) and one signed.
    I was just curious. jwangner is one of the few with whom I've had communication who has actually read and enjoyed Tabitha's writing. I've tried a couple of books and have decided her writing just isn't for me. I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I was just curious. jwangner is one of the few with whom I've had communication who has actually read and enjoyed Tabitha's writing. I've tried a couple of books and have decided her writing just isn't for me. I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.
    I haven't read any of her work, so I can't give an opinion, but I wasn't particularly interested in the excerpt she read to those high school kids in Washington on TV....

I was honestly more interested in what Owen read of his work, and that got me curious to read it in full (if I could find it, that is....).

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never read anything by Tabitha either, but I found a hardcover(BCE) of The Trap at the last library sale I went to. I'll read it someday, but it's down near the bottom of the list of books to read, so I'm just as likely to give it away.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.
    How could it not? That's my opinion as well. I haven't read Owen, but of course, I've read Joe. I do plan to read Tabitha. I will likely start with Small World, since it's her first. Whether I like it or not, I'll poll some fans to see what I should read after that.

Edited to add: I've proclaimed myself a "super collector" for Michael Arnzen. He's a small press guy, except for his Dell pb release in the 90s, but I like his stuff. He's sending me a few more items as we speak. If you click my library below, you'll see what I have so far.

Country
    Country Flag

If I could chime in here. Hearing her speak with one of her "novels in progress", I became curious. Maybe it was because she was SK's wife, maybe it wasn't...can't really tell right now (not much on introspection), but I enjoyed Candles Burning and Survivor.

I read for pleasure, I may not remember the main character or every detail from one book to the next, but I seek enjoyment, and a way to get 'away from it all'. Tabitha may hit the mark with some, but not all. And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean, James Patterson, Koontz, may be pedestrian with some, but they give me a chance to forget about work and family for just a little bit. That's what books should do. Give you a little escape from the day-to-day life.

carlosdetweiller - yes, maybe because she is Sk's wife, she sells more books. However, now that I read two of her books, I want to read more. And not because she is SK's wife. But because I am interested and curious in what she has to say. Which is unusual because I normally don't read woman writers.

So, NeedfulKings and Scoogs, I'll be here if you want to send her books my way

Country
    Country Flag

Which is unusual because I normally don't read woman writers.

So, NeedfulKings and Scoogs, I'll be here if you want to send her books my way
    Oh no! You ain't getting my books!!!!

Try Kelly Armstrong, by the way. Bitten is a good start. I think she's a smart writer. Fun, funny, but horror all the way.

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

By "collect" do you mean go after the rare, first print, signed stuff? In that case, even though I have 30+ HC Stephen King books, I wouldn't even qualify as a collector. But screw that, my bookshelf begs to differ.

Aside from King, I go after Neil Gaiman and Orson Scott Card. I own all of Gaiman's novels, and both collections of short stories, though only three of which are HC. I have a good chunk of Card's stuff, but only the Ender's Shadow series and Empire are HC. Some day, I'll have all of King's books in HC; that's been a goal of mine for years.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

For those of you that remember, The Highfield Mole and Tunnels. The sequel is out now. DEEPER. The authors have "doodled" many of this edition, just like they did on their first books, and now have sold the film rights to their first book.People were hyping it calling it "The NEXT Harry Potter", we will see but
    there are absolutely no proofs for book 2.
    I have the book coming and am excited to read the sequel.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Isnt Tunnels just a reprint name for The Highfield Mole?

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes
    The Highfield Mole came first in Hardcover
    The paperback is Tunnels
    Mike

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I was looking through my shelves and found that i have 2 copies of signed Colin Powell book, My American Journey. My mothr works at the State Department in D.C. and she went to his office and had them signed, They are personalised, One was suppose to go to a friend of mine i worked with but he quit before I got the books back and no one knew where he went, haven't talked to him since. Its made out to Charles.
    If anyones interested in it let me know, i know someone on here collects political books but i couldn't remember who.
    I would gladly trade it for something by King, maybe one of the more inexpensive less sought after signed books.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

That's sweet! I wish I could just look through my shelves and find random signed books.

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    That's sweet! I wish I could just look through my shelves and find random signed books.

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet.
    lol, I've done this. Pulled books out, and gone "Wait, this is signed, when did I get that?" Where I just didn't realize the copy was signed.
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast