Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 105 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Question for the mods: Since the McCammon thread has been rolled over into the "Other authors....." thread, what are the thoughts on keeping the "Joe Hill, Author" thread standing separately? Is it because he is related to Stephen King? Other than that he is really no different from the hundreds (thousands?) of other published writers out there. Should that thread be merged into this one too?
    It is a legitimate question.
    By itself the Joe Hill thread has almost twice the posts, pages and views as the entire "Other Authors You Collect" thread. It is ~7th most popular out of 133 threads in Calvin's Corner-that is pretty significant. We'll discuss it in the staff area-and I appreciate and encourage members comments and suggestions.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Joe's thread was started separately because he is King's progeny and because his work is in the same genre. Therefore he seems to have a lot of fans in the SK community. Based on those factors combined his fairly consistent output (novels, comic books, related merchandise) and the fact that the messageboard on his own website shut down, his single thread has remained here.

I have always assumed (correctly or not) that if related authors Tabitha King or Owen King garnered the level of attention from our membership that Joe does, then they would have their own dedicated threads as well based on their family member status.

As many know, I'm a big fan of Joe Hill and therefore have a personal slant toward keeping his collecting thread open so the discussions are easier to locate. However I am also open to discussion about whether we should merge it, or whether any other authors are of sufficient interest to warrant their own threads from a collectibility interest perspective.

(I haven't checked in with Jerome on this at all, these are just my personal views.)

EDIT: I had this posting box open for a long while due to work distractions and didn't see that Jerome had posted.
    Last edited by Patrick; 02-16-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarification

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Question for the mods: Since the McCammon thread has been rolled over into the "Other authors....." thread, what are the thoughts on keeping the "Joe Hill, Author" thread standing separately? Is it because he is related to Stephen King? Other than that he is really no different from the hundreds (thousands?) of other published writers out there. Should that thread be merged into this one too?
    It is a legitimate question.
    By itself the Joe Hill thread has almost twice the posts, pages and views as the entire "Other Authors You Collect" thread. It is ~7th most popular out of 133 threads in Calvin's Corner-that is pretty significant. We'll discuss it in the staff area-and I appreciate and encourage members comments and suggestions.
    If you left the McCammon thread up it might have garnered some strong support, gained momentum and had lots of posts too. Just sayin'.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140911669/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting thoughts.
    We could do a sub-forum devoted to "Collecting" books from authors other than SK. There could be a self imposed limit of say 100 threads. The oldest thread would be archived, andupon request considered for revival.
    All great thoughts so far.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Joe's thread was started separately because he is King's progeny and because his work is in the same genre. Therefore he seems to have a lot of fans in the SK community. Based on those factors combined his fairly consistent output (novels, comic books, related merchandise) and the fact that the messageboard on his own website shut down, his single thread has remained here.

I have always assumed (correctly or not) that if related authors Tabitha King or Owen King garnered the level of attention from our membership that Joe does, then they would have their own dedicated threads as well based on their family member status.

As many know, I'm a big fan of Joe Hill and therefore have a personal slant toward keeping his collecting thread open so the discussions are easier to locate. However I am also open to discussion about whether we should merge it, or whether any other authors are of sufficient interest to warrant their own threads from a collectibility interest perspective.

(I haven't checked in with Jerome on this at all, these are just my personal views.)

EDIT: I had this posting box open for a long while due to work distractions and didn't see that Jerome had posted.
    Uhhh, pretty much "Ditto". I'd like to see it left alone.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the sub-forum idea.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just an idea.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

We could do a sub-forum devoted to "Collecting" books from authors other than SK. There could be a self imposed limit of say 100 threads. The oldest thread would be archived, andupon request considered for revival.
    I'm wondering if the "popularity" of the Joe Hill thread is because there many individual users posting or if there are just a few core people who are putting up most of the posts? I have no idea.

It would also seem that there is a more appropriate location for hard core Hill fans to discuss Hill's work. http://joehillfiction.com/

Just some more thoughts.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say that i really like the individual Joe Hill thread, especially after the Joe Hill forum was discontinued!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that the idea of a sub-forum for other author collecting would be a fantastic addition.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I dunno...there's just that one Joe Hill thread here, same as there's on McCammon thread.

I don't think they bother anybody, and if there's no action, they'll fade away on their own...but since I post in neither one I guess it doesn't matter to me!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

If you do a sub-forum for other authors I'll post a lot of pictures of Philip Jose Farmer and Jack Vance books, until you're sick of looking at them! They're my two favorite authors of all time and space in this universe and any other universes that may or may not exist. Anyway, you get the idea.

I also collect about 8 or 10 other authors whose books I'd love to post pictures of, if you can stand it, that is.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm wondering if the "popularity" of the Joe Hill thread is because there many individual users posting or if there are just a few core people who are putting up most of the posts? I have no idea.
    It would be difficult to go through the 2,000 posts and ascertain the number of posts by each member, then compare them to to any other thread.

It would also seem that there is a more appropriate location for hard core Hill fans to discuss Hill's work. http://joehillfiction.com/

Just some more thoughts.
    I don't think sending Joe Hill fans to http://joehillfiction.com/ is the best solution. No more than sending Stephen King book collecting fans away from TheDarkTower.org to StephenKing.com would be best for our site. There was debate (not by me, but by the original owners) as to whether or not to even have a Collector's forum.
    The old site REALLY fought it.
    Currently Calvin's Corner is the most visited area of the site.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Currently Calvin's Corner is the most visited area of the site.
    This does not surprise me. Many members never venture outside the "corner".

I do not have a problem with threads of other authors on this site, (I don't read the posts), buy why not post in that "other authors" own site.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Joe Hill doesn't have a discussion bulletin board any more-most authors don't have a "live" (unmoderated) board. I think you can follow JH via Twitter, and even have your Twitter message show up @ JH fiction, but no offense to JH-the posts by fans are pretty boring-and of course limited to short responses due to the 140 character count limit in a message.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the other authors sub-forum is a great idea. We all congregate at Calvin's Corner for the same reason - we love collecting books. And there's a vast world of books out there beyond the King. I love reading about other people's interests in different authors, and seeing their collections in photos.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

After giving it some thought, I think a separate subforum is the way to go - no more need for debating over which authors do or don't deserve a dedicated thread in The Corner, more room for collection pics and interesting discussions, the option to ignore such a 'Go Then. There Are Other Authors than King' subforum and most importantly: keeping the community together (i.e. less need for people to visit other forums).

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Mike, check the 'Other Authors You Collect' thread. If you go to the last page of the thread and work your way back I'm pretty sure you'll find a couple of pics of the lettered edition not too far back. I have the new trade edition but haven't taken a pic yet.
    I tried that a week or two ago but never found it. I see someone posted new pics though. thanks. i'll try again.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the subforum idea. I'm really more of a reader than a collector - even though I keep all the books I read :}

But I had never heard of Joe Hill or Robert McCammon until very recently and since that time, I read Swan Song and absolutely fell in love with the man...and found a signed copy of Wolf's Hour that should arrive in the next day or two. I plan on getting hold of all the Joe Hill books now too.

With the subforum, clueless people like me could find out about these other amazing authors.......without having to trudge thru the 47/48+ pages of this thread.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I like lavish reprints and new translation of classics, so it was with great excitement that I found out about Penguin's new three-volume hardcover complete Arabian Nights set. Then I saw it was published in 2008 and is already out of print. Moreover, I was astonished to see it selling for $2,000 used. Supposedly the original price was around $200. There are cheap paperbacks, but after seeing what the hardcover set looks like no one would want those.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0140911669/

Very nice, but I like my set better. I'll have to remember to take and post some pics.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...and personally I'd be in favor of a subforum for other authors.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I like this concept of a sub-forum for other authors. We have that sort of thing here at TDT.org from a story perspective, but not from a book collecting perspective.

Although it would take some time, it shouldn't be too difficult to do a search through this thread and break out discussions of specific authors such as McCammon to start a thread for those who warrant one.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also vote for the sub forum. While I collect a lot of King, the majority of my money is spent on other authors. I'd love to see everyone's collections of other author books in separate place where one could ignore it if he/she is uninterested, or ignore threads of specific authors, etc...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A Non binding request-suggestions for the sub-forum name?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 105 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast