Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

That is a nice looking book. I did a quick search on ABE and it looks like you got a good deal.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have never read Robertson. I think I really need to read something by him.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread has been the lone holdout from my Don Robertson collection for years. I guess I've been waiting for the right copy at the right price. Apparently, $42 is the right price. This is an ex-library copy with glue on the inside boards, stamps on the page ends, and a missing FFEP, but I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. It's tight and clean and square. Except for the faded spine the dustjacket is a peach. I keep taking it off the shelf to admire it. I can't believe I finally own this book.
    Wow, nice acquisition, idlewarnings!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    That is a nice looking book. I did a quick search on ABE and it looks like you got a good deal.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have never read Robertson. I think I really need to read something by him.
    You won't be sorry! The first of his that I read was Paradise Falls, and I was hooked. That one (it's actually two volumes) is pretty easy to find on ABE, Amazon, etcetera...

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everybody.

I'm embarassed to admit, despite having collected all DR's books, I've yet to read everything he's written. I still haven't read his first three Civil War books, and Paradise Falls has been on my nightstand, half read for almost 2 years (it's good but it's a monster...1000+ pgs).

Bob, I think TGTSSB is a good place to start with Robertson. It'll be back in print in about 3 weeks. My other two favorites are Praise the Human Season (don't be turned off by the cheesy, romance-y pb artwork) and A Flag Full of Stars.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Eh... I have a few Koontz, Crichton, lots of King, and a few others not really a collector I guess, but I'm starting! My prizes are signed copies of both books by Bruce Campbell. I'm currently working on getting all my king books in s/l versions...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Thanks everybody.

I'm embarassed to admit, despite having collected all DR's books, I've yet to read everything he's written. I still haven't read his first three Civil War books, and Paradise Falls has been on my nightstand, half read for almost 2 years (it's good but it's a monster...1000+ pgs).
    The last of his that I read were the three books in the Civil War trilogy, and loved them. They actually piqued my interest enough in the Civil War to search out and read the Jeff/Michael Shaara trilogy: Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the british book of Gordon & Roderick have just be published in France...

i think that the 1st ed of this book is extremely rare, we talked bout it on tdt.net no?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

there are some Brian Keene fans around here...
    Which novels or collections is your favourite?

What would you recommend to discover that author?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Here is something I'll bet not many have seen. I had never seen one until I got it yesterday.

This is the uncorrected proof state of Anne Rice's INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE. I knew it existed but had never had the chance to buy or bid on one. Knopf did a pretty heavy publicity push for the book and sent out a fairly large number of "Special Preview Edition" copies. At least it was a large number for an unknown writer's first book. These "Special Preview Edition" copies are reasonably scarce and usually sell for a fairly high price. Many collectors and booksellers incorrectly refer to this "Special Preview Edition" as a proof but it is actually more of an ARC.

To me the situation is very much like the advance states of Stephen King's CARRIE. A fairly large number of "Special Edition" copies in glossy white printed wrappers are available and sell for big bucks and are often mistakenly called proofs.

The uncorrected proof of INTERVIEW is on the left and the "Special Preview Edition" is on the right. I have no idea how many proofs were done. I suspect not many because she was an unknown writer at the time and I have not seen one for sale in over 15 years of looking.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice, Carlos!

John

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet purchase. You the man! LOL

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Another thing I never knew I would see.

Those are cool as hell
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool Carlos!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Powell's Books in Portland had a copy of the Interview "Special Preview" thing. I can't remember the price, but since it was only a few pages thick (if I remember right), I didn't go for it. I seem to think it was priced at or just over $100. I might be wrong...

I've never seen the uncorrected proof. Well, I don't think I've ever seen a true first edition either! LOL!

Country
    Country Flag

still awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Powell's Books in Portland had a copy of the Interview "Special Preview" thing. I can't remember the price, but since it was only a few pages thick (if I remember right), I didn't go for it. I seem to think it was priced at or just over $100. I might be wrong...
    The "Special Preview Edition" is the full book and not an excerpt. I did a quick check on ABE and copies are still listed at $500 and up (depending on condition). So if you can get one from Powell's for $100 it would be a pretty good deal.

I don't collect Anne Rice nearly as much as I did in the past so I am not up to date on all the different states of the advance copies. The only advance excerpt I have seen is of THE WITCHING HOUR. It is about 25 pages in length. $100 would be a very high price for that one, IMO.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This site is similar to The Collector's site, but deals with Anne Rice books. I notice he has the preview edition for sale at $599.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The link didn't work for me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The link didn't work for me.

John
    Just remove the "http//" in the address bar.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Bob.

John

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I just won a book that I have been looking for at least two years, minimum. It’s a play by Neil Gaiman called Murder Mysteries. He did two plays, and they were both done in great editions by Biting Dog Press. I’ve had the other one “Snow, Glass, Apples” for a few years, and there always seems to be copies of those around, but I’ve never be able to find this one until now. And I was the only bidder, lol Anyway this was the last grail item of Neil Gaiman’s I was missing from my collection. I have pretty much everything I want that's collectible from Gaiman, except the lettered editions of these two plays. But I’ve never seen those on the market either. Oh well… But that's all I'm really looking for now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=019
    Geoff

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Geoff!

John

Congratulations, Geoff! It's such a great feeling to finally get something you've been wanting for a long time.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Nice purchase, Geoff!. It looks like a really beautifully produced book as well. Very nice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast