Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 105 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Does anyone here own the Dan Simmons S/L of The Terror from Sub Press?. I just bought a copy from Amazon and am rather surprised that it does not come in a slipcase. I'm curious if it was issued in a slipcase?.
    No slipcase for the numbered S/L. I got mine directly from Sub Press.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Does anyone here own the Dan Simmons S/L of The Terror from Sub Press?. I just bought a copy from Amazon and am rather surprised that it does not come in a slipcase. I'm curious if it was issued in a slipcase?.
    No slipcase for the numbered S/L. I got mine directly from Sub Press.
    That's a bummer. A slipcase would have been nice. Thanks for letting me know.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got an email from Subterranean press with this offer:

50% Off Sale Ends Friday

As regular followers of the site may have noticed, we've added quite a bit to our 2010 schedule recently.

To make loading up on great reading a little easier on everyone's pocketbooks, we're running a 50% off preorder sale.

Here are the rules - of course there are rules!

- Sorry, we're not able to offer retroactive discounts on already ordered items;

- You must preorder between 5 and 10 titles to take advantage of the special price;

- Only limited and trade editions are eligible; no lettered editions;

- Other publishers' books are not eligible;

- Books listed on our preorder pages that are priced $150 or lower are eligible;

- If you want to order via PayPal, please do not go through our site - drop us a note at subpress@gmail.com, listing the books you'd like, and if you're a US, Canadian, or International Customer;

- A few titles are not eligible for the special. Ineligible books are noted on their individual pages;

- Limit one copy per title;

- Shipping charges are not discounted;

- This special runs through the end of day April 16, 2010.

One final note: Do not worry that the shopping cart total and automatic email confirmation don't reflect the correct price. We'll take care of everything on our end when we process your order.
    Now, if more people are interested, maybe we can see if we can reunite 10 books among all, in order to get the offer.

Just a thought
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Banned demorgan is on a distinguished road

thats not a bad idea actually...

Hell, let me take a look...i might go in.

Other authors:
    Joe Hill-probably have more of him than anyone else...

Clive Barker-Ive gotten lucky recently with s/l of Cabal

Cormac McCarthy-I only have 1 signed/limited...and about to receive a trade signed..thats it..this guy is expensive

Does george romero count..lol..i just got another poster signed by the guy..and of course night,day,dawn dvd's signed

steve niles--been slacking off lately.

Richard Matheson--Have a ok amount of stuff thanks to dark del

Stan Lee..been very lucky with him. Ive gotten alot of omnibus signed along with some graphic novels and two spiderman posters..hulk poster and ironman poster.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by demorgan View Post
    Cormac McCarthy-I only have 1 signed/limited...and about to receive a trade signed..thats it..this guy is expensive
    Which one do you have? I've been looking around for a SL of No Country For Old Men but it's in the thousands of dollars range so... I can still dream

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Which one do you have? I've been looking around for a SL of No Country For Old Men but it's in the thousands of dollars range so... I can still dream
    I had never read Cormac McCarthy until a couple of months ago I picked up a paperback copy of THE ROAD at an airport book store. I'm not sure what to say except that I didn't like it and doubt I will read anything by him again. I hate it when that happens. He is an acclaimed writer and I'm sure many get a lot of enjoyment reading him. But I was just bored the whole way through the book and though it was pointless. Oh well.....probably my loss.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post

Now, if more people are interested, maybe we can see if we can reunite 10 books among all, in order to get the offer.

Just a thought
    Great idea! Unfortunately, I just put in an order for their upcoming McCammon's The Wolf's Hour.

sk

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post

Just a thought
    Great idea! Unfortunately, I just put in an order for their upcoming McCammon's The Wolf's Hour.

sk
    Have considered ordering Wolf's Hour also...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Other authors:

Richard Matheson--Have a ok amount of stuff thanks to dark del
    I've been collecting Richard Matheson for a long time. I have quite a few books by him. He is one of my favorite authors too.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I had never read Cormac McCarthy until a couple of months ago I picked up a paperback copy of THE ROAD at an airport book store. I'm not sure what to say except that I didn't like it and doubt I will read anything by him again. I hate it when that happens. He is an acclaimed writer and I'm sure many get a lot of enjoyment reading him. But I was just bored the whole way through the book and though it was pointless. Oh well.....probably my loss.
    Ohhh no Bob! That hurts my heart! McCarthy, in my opinion, is probably one of the greatest living authors (and I realize I say that on a fan site of another author and I take caution LOL).

His writing truly inspires me to use the English language better. He has an amazing gift to portray intricate moments that can really stun me.

My advice for anyone who reads "The Road" is that lots of times people who read book for entertainment require a start, a middle and an end. With The Road, there was a lot of things that were not explained. But in my opinion, thats not what the book was about. I feel the book was a love story between a father and son and if one looks at it that way, it takes on a whole new meaning...

That's just my idea anyway.

Im in the same boat with you about that one...ive been looking to find that one at a reasonable price...i guess ill keep looking.
    THe one deal that i found..it was up for about 10 minutes..was stonemason signed/limited.

Sorry to hear that about THE ROAD...its probably one of my all time favorite books. My wife felt the same way. We watched the movie..and i think that convinced her to give it another try.

Sorry to hear that about THE ROAD...its probably one of my all time favorite books. My wife felt the same way. We watched the movie..and i think that convinced her to give it another try.
    Now the movie was unbearable... it's hard to capture that book on film. The same for the book vs. movie of "No Country For Old Men," but the Coen brothers did a really great job trying. The ending was tough to display.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I was quite unimpressed by "The Road." Read it, and got a big case of the meh.

But..."Blood Meridian" is great...yes, it's the same writing style, but it feels so much deeper. I would give that a quick look before giving up on McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    But..."Blood Meridian" is great...yes, it's the same writing style, but it feels so much deeper. I would give that a quick look before giving up on McCarthy.
    Did you guys see back in 2006 when the NYTimes asked 115 authors editors publishers, etc about the best book published in the past 25 years? King was one of the 115 actually.

Well Blood Meridian came in 2nd place to Toni Morrison's Beloved. Ironically, of the top 10, Philip Roth wrote 6 of them (from what I remember). I read The Plot Against America by Roth and it was great but nothing else. Anyone else here a Roth fan?

Also - if you haven't seen the movie of No Country For Old Men, I rrrrrrrrrrrrreally enjoyed the book as well.

Now the movie was unbearable... it's hard to capture that book on film. The same for the book vs. movie of "No Country For Old Men," but the Coen brothers did a really great job trying. The ending was tough to display.
    well, i thought that they did the best that anyone could do considering the depth of the material.

well, i thought that they did the best that anyone could do considering the depth of the material.
    Well exactly. I don't blame anyone for attempting because, as you said, the depth of the story isn't easy to relay. Just one of those things that makes me think, "Not every book needs to be made into a movie..."

Also - if you haven't seen the movie of No Country For Old Men, I rrrrrrrrrrrrreally enjoyed the book as well.
    I loved the movie No Country For Old Men. I have seen it three times. It was because of that movie that I tried reading McCarthy....starting with THE ROAD. Maybe I just picked the wrong book to start with.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think The Road is definitely the wrong place to start w/ McCarthy. I loved Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses, but my favorite is probably Suttree.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

For those that like Robert McCammon, he's written a novella containing Michael Gallatin from The Wolf's Hour :

Robert McCammon has just turned in a brand-new 36,000 word novella, "The Room at the Bottom of the Stair" about a further WWII adventure of Michael Gallatin that will be included in The Wolf's Hour, pushing the book to just shy of 700 pages. We expect the inclusion of this major piece of new fiction will drive sales of this limited edition, making it a must have for every serious McCammon fan.
    To accommodate the expected demand for The Wolf's Hour - this novella was a last minute addition, long after the book was announced - with Mr. McCammon's permission we've decided to increase the print run to 750 copies, to cover the increased printing costs, to compensate the author for a significant new piece of fiction, and to give his many fans a chance at this important collectible edition.

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    For those that like Robert McCammon, he's written a novella containing Michael Gallatin from The Wolf's Hour :

Robert McCammon has just turned in a brand-new 36,000 word novella, "The Room at the Bottom of the Stair" about a further WWII adventure of Michael Gallatin that will be included in The Wolf's Hour, pushing the book to just shy of 700 pages. We expect the inclusion of this major piece of new fiction will drive sales of this limited edition, making it a must have for every serious McCammon fan.
    To accommodate the expected demand for The Wolf's Hour - this novella was a last minute addition, long after the book was announced - with Mr. McCammon's permission we've decided to increase the print run to 750 copies, to cover the increased printing costs, to compensate the author for a significant new piece of fiction, and to give his many fans a chance at this important collectible edition.

LINK

I've ordered a copy and it makes me realize that I need to reread a lot of my early McCammon. I reread SWAN SONG about a year ago but it has been ten year plus since I have taken a look at those other early books. I remember liking WOLF'S HOUR quite a lot.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    I think The Road is definitely the wrong place to start w/ McCarthy. I loved Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses, but my favorite is probably Suttree.
    I too started with The Road and couldn't feel for the boy or man, I just was uninterested. I liked the writing style and he did an excellent job, so i did notice that when reading the story. So the first thing I thought was this is probably the wrong book to start with when reading McCarthy. I'll give him another try down the road (no pun intended). lol
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I too started with The Road and couldn't feel for the boy or man, I just was uninterested. I liked the writing style and he did an excellent job,
    I despised the writing style, but even worse, found the story boring. I gave up on it....

Hunter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 105 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast