Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Actually Rahfa - I do have a 1st/1st signed of Obama's FATHERS book... photos to be uploaded tonight. (I do wish it were personalized though...)

So I have something I got today - fairly unexpected...

I am a Wally Lamb fan and his newest book is quite good. I know his signature quite well so I wanted to get a copy of his newest book signed. Well due to me being familiar with his signature and the verrrrry low worth, I went to eBay, found one at like $30 and won it.

Well today I got it and as you can see below - it is some sort of "limited" copy. Not sure how many there are but I would love to have more information (if anyone has any...!). The binding is the same as a regular hardcover and only the spine of the dustjacket is different...

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I actually know about those "specially bound" books...

The publisher binds a bunch together and sends them to independent bookstores so they have something to generate sales....Gregory Maguire does it with Wicked books, etc...and there are a few other authors too.

It will KILL me to see that 1st/1st of Dreams...I couldn't justify spending $750 for a 1st edition when I knew I was going to meet him (even before he announced I couldn't find a cheap one), so I brought later editions of his books instead...but, who knew? I do have an 'Audacity' dated from Dec. 06, which was his first NH trip...I'm sure that would be worth a lot.

Of course, I "invested" in all three McCain Easton editions....Unsellable! Ooff...

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dolan, who published that Wally Lamb book? I think he's one of our authors (I work for HarperCollins). I'll have to check tomorrow and get me one of them.

Working for HarperCollins has opened a LOT of door as far as collecting goes. My "signed" collection numbers around 60 books a tthe moment. Some of you guys have more signed Kings than that, but I'm happy with it.

http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books...spx?opt=signed

Click any title and it will show the signature as well.

I never expected it, but they are making a movie out of this one as well...

I also collect Neil Gaiman.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice find, Kenny. I have one of those "specially bound" signed editions from Michael Chabon. I ran across it in a bookstore back East, and couldn't pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    ... I also collect Neil Gaiman.
    Speaking of whom, today I received the Subterranean signed/limited edition of CORALINE by Neil Gaiman, and illustrated by Dave McKean.

This is #378.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, I was thinking of getting that book. Congratulations!

May I ask how much did it cost?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

That's pretty nice Patrick!
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I actually know about those "specially bound" books...

The publisher binds a bunch together and sends them to independent bookstores so they have something to generate sales....Gregory Maguire does it with Wicked books, etc...and there are a few other authors too.
    Ahhh okay that makes sense then. I had no idea... happy to have it now though.

Gris - you are right - W.Lamb is Harper...! I love his books. Very touching. Well written as well!

So here are the images. A few years back when they re-released "Dreams" for Obama taking the senator seat, I went to a book signing. I was like... 1 of 20 people. Seriously. And he talked and talked and answered our questions. Really captivating guy. Michelle came towards the end and my lasting impression of her is that she came off cold.

Anyway, after meeting him, i went on eBay to see if I could find a first edition. Might not be worth a lot but i wanted it. I found one for maybe $75 i think...? So the woman who sold me the book said she was related to Obama and had a couple left and wanted to sell them off so others can have them.

After about a year, she wrote me and told me she had been to Africa and sent me something she bought back with her made in the town where Obama's family is from. It was incredibly sweet. To add, the postage was from Africa - which was an added novelty.

When "Audacity" came out - he did another book tour. This is when I had "Dreams" signed. He even said, "this is a very rare copy you know?" and I told him that I knew and he said "are you going to go on and sell this on eBay now?" And I said, "No way, jose!" and he had a good laugh.

Anyway - for the first time I added my name to the images. not for any specific person on here, but rather for others who are just viewing these pages.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just incredible!
    Congratulations to you Kenny.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Gris.

Ari, the list price of that S/L was $60, you can find them for about that price or even a little lower on eBay. I paid $52.

Great story and book, Kenny!

Today I happened upon an inscribed copy of Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, a 1st/1st, at a local used bookstore. Good deal, so I bought it. If you're interested, photos are in my collection thread on this page.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

As I said above, Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors. His first book, "She's Come Undone" became famous thanks, mainly, to Oprah. It isn't his best book, but its a good one. Nonetheless, one of the best quotes in the book (which made me cry) was hand written by Lamb below.

This book is MAYBE worth $75... but it is worth more to me than 3/4 of the books I own. Just wanted to share...

Ps. Any Marilynne Robinson fans here? I have something pretty amazing by her...

Country
    Country Flag

Dolan, that's pretty cool!.

I like you get something signed and you get quote, phrases, whatever.

I just got a signed Motley Fool book at work. They are financial advisers. I like their web site. They've stopped me from making some pretty bad choices.

The jester drawing rocks.

-Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Yeah!. What?. Tell me. I would love to know.

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Dolan, that's pretty cool!.

I like you get something signed and you get quote, phrases, whatever.

I just got a signed Motley Fool book at work. They are financial advisers. I like their web site. They've stopped me from making some pretty bad choices.

The jester drawing rocks.

Those guys are great!

Country
    Country Flag

Got 2 more signed today.

The Wally Lamb I requested because I was jealous of Dolan (the Publicist has an extra signed, not for me specifically):

http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books...=9780060393496

and Maddy!

http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books...=9780060892579
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good stuff, Gris. Congrats!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

In honor of the day's events...from my very close and personal friend...
    Attached Images

Country
    Country Flag

Rahfa

THAT ROCKS
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Aside from Stephen King I collect the John Sanford "Prey" books and Kathleen and Michael Gear books..I have one of the Gear's books that was autographed by both of them...
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    I love Marilynne Robinson. I still need to read her latest book. What did you get?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A book by Tabitha King was released in spanish lately and the promotional campaign was pretty cool. This is a trailer of the book:

http://www.edicionesminotauro.com/mi..._silencio.html
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty cool trailer. That's Candles Burning, right?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've received my very first proof - and of a book that has not yet been released, no less!

From Subterranean Press, SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH, STORIES IN HONOR OF JACK VANCE. I have the limited edition on order. The trade edition is still available here.

An impressive list of contributors, including Neil Gaiman. I'm looking forward to reading these stories.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Patrick!

I received the email from Subpress about the ARCs they were giving away, but I didn't even got a reply from Barry.

Let me know how is it!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats Patrick, very cool with the arc.

yea I too have an order for the Limited, as yea you are right it has an awesome collection of authors: intro by Koontz; Simmons, Gaiman, Martin, Silverberg, etcetera...
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast