Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 105 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, what RF said! Amazing!

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Next week I'll be receiving directly from the publisher an ARC of Drood, the new book by Dan Simmons.

About other authors, the sad news is that last tuesday Michael Crichton died at 66 due to cancer. I enjoyed the books I read from him
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Next week I'll be receiving directly from the publisher an ARC of Drood, the new book by Dan Simmons.

About other authors, the sad news is that last tuesday Michael Crichton died at 66 due to cancer. I enjoyed the books I read from him
    Crichton was one of my favorite authors. I will certainly miss his writing. The first book I read by him was THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN. As chance would have it I had just finished taking Microbiology in medical school. I knew a LOT about bacteria at that time. THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN was all about bacteria and the author got EVERYTHING right. I soon found out that the author was also a physician and that explained that. Crichton always had his medical facts straight and sometimes, when I thought he had gotten something wrong, I would do some research and find that he was right after all. Brilliant man. (King, on the other hand, has many medical errors in his books. He really needs a physician consultant, if he doesn't already have one. Maybe I'll volunteer!)

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Crichton was very talented in surprisingly many areas. He not only directed ER, created computer games, was a movie director and wrote computer books besides the numerous fictions that he produced. He will definitely be missed.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

This is a first novel by David Wroblewski titled THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE. It is a novel that is currently generating huge interest. Oprah selected it for her book club and Stephen King has given it glowing praise. It is currently one of the hottest books on ABE.

Here is a copy of the Canadian proof (published simultaneously with the US edition by Ecco) by Bond Street Books.

This book has moved directly to the top of my must read list (bypassing about 15 others).

Now the reason I am posting about this book is what I found on the rear cover. A lengthy blurb by King. I don't recall seeing lengthy blurbs on proofs before. I mean what version did King read? The manuscript?

Apparently the US proof (currently on its way to me) also has the King blurb. I think it will be interesting to see how King bibliographers Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks catagorize this little piece of King writing. Nonfiction, perhaps? It is really too long to call it just a blurb.

I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Incredible. I think I must read this. SK compared, then distanced the story from Life of Pi, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    Thanks Bob!

Interesting Review

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the King's comment is only on the proofs?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I don't know. I don't have a copy of the hardback yet.

One thing to keep in mind if anyone is planning to rush out and buy a copy is that the books on the shelves right now are probably not going to be first editions. It has gone into subsequent printings.

To further complicate matters, the books with the "Oprah Book Club" sticker on the front are NOT first editions, even though they have a complete number line on the copyright page. I think the "true" first edition has a different ISBN number and a flimsier dust jacket.

FIRSTS magazine goes into detail on this in the current issue and many of the listings on ABE give the details if they are offering the "true" first edition.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    It's on the back of the hardcover as well:

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Some of King's verbiage seems to be missing on the hardcover.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not too worried about getting a first edition since I plan on reading the book. If it appeals to me, I'll seek out a First Edition.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Some of King's verbiage seems to be missing on the hardcover.

John
    Yep, is shorter
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The hardcover blurb is missing all the comparisons to other novels.

First edition of STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, published 1886 by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. It's not the most pristine of copies but other than the light spotting on the front board it is really a very nice copy. Supposedly this US edition beat the UK edition by four days.

Gunslinger Apprentice Airtraffic is on a distinguished road Airtraffic's Avatar

Now that is very cool. How do the pages look. Are they also in good condition?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice Bob!

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's an awesome book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Airtraffic View Post
    Now that is very cool. How do the pages look. Are they also in good condition?
    The pages are great and the gold gilt on the top page edges is still pretty much intact. Also, there is no previous owner writing in the book which is pretty uncommon for books of that era.

I think I am going to keep it. I "only" paid $650 for it. I see similar copies on ABE for $2K up to $8K and one was recently auctioned at Heritage for $3K+.

Gunslinger Apprentice Airtraffic is on a distinguished road Airtraffic's Avatar

Yeah, That would be a book I'd like to hold on to. I once bought the 11th issue of the x-men (not in very good shape) for $20 just because it was such a early issue. Now this is much older book that my comic, but none the less this a great part of history.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    First edition of STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, published 1886 by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. It's not the most pristine of copies but other than the light spotting on the front board it is really a very nice copy. Supposedly this US edition beat the UK edition by four days.

That's a fantastic edition Bob.

(I thought the UK paperback was the first edition).

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool Bob
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, do you have any Sherlock Holmes books in your collection?

I'm just starting to read a 3 volume complete set that I picked up a couple of years ago and the rather lengthy introduction gave a fair amount of history on the early publishings. Pretty interesting reading the history behind those.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Bob, do you have any Sherlock Holmes books in your collection?
    If you mean first editions then, no, I don't have any. I've got every Holmes story and novel in paperbacks that I have had since I was in my teens. They are read to tatters but are still very readable.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Bob, if you are interested in grabbing a US ARC of the Sawtell book as well, there's one up on ABE, item #1220226292. I messaged the guy last night, since the description was a bit lacking, to doublecheck and make sure it wasn't a copy of the Ecco US Proof instead. He said it was the ARC, with the King blurb on the back, and the cover art that is present on the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by bast_imret View Post
    Bob, if you are interested in grabbing a US ARC of the Sawtell book as well, there's one up on ABE, item #1220226292. I messaged the guy last night, since the description was a bit lacking, to doublecheck and make sure it wasn't a copy of the Ecco US Proof instead. He said it was the ARC, with the King blurb on the back, and the cover art that is present on the trade.
    Got it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 105 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast