Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'll have to try the 2 mil sometime. I don't think I've ever seen one that thin. Or have I? The 3-mil polyethylene bags are nice and pliable. I had some that were thinner, and those things are like memory foam: fold it, and stays. But they also tore more easily, if the book corner snagged, for example. I actually prefer the thicker, more pliable bags.

Hunter

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

You've probably seen them. It's very common for comic books.

I chose the 2 mil Mylar for various reasons.

• The most important reason is that polyester has superior UV protection.
    • Mylar is strong and allows me to use the 2 mil bag, which is more flexible, without tearing.
    • It will also stay clear longer if exposed to UV light.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well the Gene Wolfe talk stoked my interest, I knew the local book store had this in stock, and having just read a short in Swords & Dark Magic and loved it, I decided to jump on it. Came with a cool letter from the editor too.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Something cool from a long time ago (1967). I wish I could find the US (Random House) version of the proof.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very cool!

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Something cool from a long time ago (1967). I wish I could find the US (Random House) version of the proof.

WOW...very cool! I'd ask where you find this stuff, but I'm beginning to think you have super collecting powers that the rest of us just don't

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I love it! Bob, was there even a US proof issued?

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Bob. Love it.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I love it! Bob, was there even a US proof issued?

John
    You know, John, I really don't know. I assume there was but I have never seen one....either for sale or in someone's collection.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There's Bob, always pulling something amazing out of his hat. Fantastic!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

That is awesome!!! eeee...thinking about the movie now...creeeeepy.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Seeing the Ira Levin proof made me think of some of my favorite books and the proofs that I have of them.

First off, The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel. This is the UK proof. I absolutely loved this book when I read it many many years ago, and because of my memories of it, it remains a favorite.

Next up is Replay by Ken Grimwood. This is the US proof. What a fantastic book and so beautifully written. One of my all-time favorites.

And finally, call me a sap but to me The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller is a revelation. Absolutely loved it. This is the UK proof. The book was published as "Love in Black and White" in the UK.

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Oldest ARC I have is probably The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

I started collection ARCs of paperback originals back in the early 80s, but most of those are long since gone. Here's a person favorite:

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

^Badass! Big Ellroy fan myself...

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Seeing the Ira Levin proof made me think of some of my favorite books and the proofs that I have of them.

Next up is Replay by Ken Grimwood. This is the US proof. What a fantastic book and so beautifully written. One of my all-time favorites.
    I've never read Replay. Sounds interesting. I'll look for it. Thanks!

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

REPLAY Is one of my all-time favorite books as well. I have a signed first HC edition of it, and an unsigned first UK HC edition of it. In fact, I have first edition hard covers of all of his titles, including his earliest titles...and an inscribed (to me) copy of INTO THE DEEP. Since we're talking about ARCs, I have the ARC of his debut novel, BREAKTHROUGH...it's the only one I've ever seen.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Sure. I know it's also a favorite of John's. I just loved that book.

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    REPLAY Is one of my all-time favorite books as well. I have a signed first HC edition of it, and an unsigned first UK HC edition of it. In fact, I have first edition hard covers of all of his titles, including his earliest titles...and an inscribed (to me) copy of INTO THE DEEP. Since we're talking about ARCs, I have the ARC of his debut novel, BREAKTHROUGH...it's the only one I've ever seen.
    Oh man, now I'm jealous. Sounds like quite the collection you have there!

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

EDIT: By the way, I should correct myself: I don't have all the books he's written in 1st/1st HC...I don't have his pseudonymous novel, TWO PLUS TWO, as by Alan Cochran, in either HC or pb. One of these days I'll find a reasonably-priced copy, but that hasn't happened yet.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Adding my voice to the "Replay is great!" chorus!

And very cool Levin proof!

Hunter

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As Paul said, Replay is one of my all-time favorites. An amazing concept masterfully written.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Something my fellow proof collectors might appreciate:

One of the sf authors that I collect/collected in depth was Kage Baker. The following is an example for her collection GODS AND PAWNS (Tor, 2007). It's a comb-bound copy of the ms. that was prepared for a specific review/reviewer; with it, a handwritten note from Tor publicity. This cost me $25 at the time and I have never seen another copy.

One of the neat aspects of this one is that the ToC in the ms. (it's a collection) differs from the published version; and that the story in the ms. that did not appear in the finished book was for several years before the author's death one of only two uncollected pieces from her "Company" series.

It remains a case in point as to why I have and continue to collect proofs and ephemera.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 62 70 71 72 73 74 82 ... LastLast