Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 105 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

About the same time that I first read THE HOBBIT (the early 1970s), I also read:

Over the years, it's blurred as to which had more impact on me at the time. I read broadly as a pre-teen kid, but my folks had definite ideas about what was and was not a part of the canon. Not that I objected--I still think such as CHARLOTTE'S WEB and TREASURE ISLAND, among many others, are fabulous--but there was enough that I was just never exposed to that, once I started looking for new things, I was old enough that what would resonate with that Me was going to be both strongly influenced by what I knew and an utter crapshoot.

When I began having enough money to actually buy books on my own, I went through the James Blish Star Trek adaptions--those are the first that I remember buying on my own, with my own money--quickly. They were fast and familiar; it was about the same time that circumstances were such that my folks' iron control over the television began to slip, and I'd seen most of the episodes. But even with SPOCK MUST DIE!, there was a limit to those and I read so fast that even with re-reads, they were done and old quickly. So I began to look for other things. I don't remember which I bought or read first, but certainly I knew about THE HOBBIT; the memory of what prompted me to pick up WATERSHIP is long since gone.

However it was--and in whatever order--I remember the two of them as the first steps on the path that made me the reader that I am today. I've posted my early HOBBITs elsewhere; this copy of WATERSHIP in my collection today may be the worst-conditioned book that I own, but it's an American first edition/first printing, and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

And now, from the other end:

This may well be my favorite collection of fantasy fiction. I have a copy of the signed/limited, a trade copy signed and inscribed to me, a copy of the trade, and a truly beat-up ARC that I bought on eBay and has been on or close to my nightstand for a couple of years now.

I suspect that, late at night, the Peter Beagle and Harlan Ellison sections of my shelfs may face off, Sharks and Jets, over who is the best short story writer the genre has produced. And not sure who'd win.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing your early reading experiences. For me it was Roald Dahl that had the biggest influence.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Thanks for sharing your early reading experiences. For me it was Roald Dahl that had the biggest influence.
    He was one that my folks didn't allow. And as most of his stuff was contemporary with my childhood, by the time I was buying on my own, it would've been too young for me.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read Dahl's short stories, Matt? They're definitely more adult material (not in the X-rated sense). His novels (which I grew up with) are more geared towards children but in a delightfully creepy way - or at least that's how I remember them. I haven't read them since the age of 12 or so. I read a collection of his short stories when I was 16 or 17, I think. Good stuff. I can't believe being 17 was 24 years ago already...

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, I could read at the age of three, got dinosaur books from the library at age six (and knew all their names), and being the young bibliophile/good boy that I was may be why my parents pretty much let me read everything I wanted. I remember reading LOTR and the first couple of Dune books around the age of ten. Crazy, huh? There was probably a lot in there that went straight over my head. Great memories though. I did not read my first King before I was 14, I think.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Michaël, you were much more advanced at that age than I was. I think at age ten all I wanted to read was baseball stories. I read the Bronc Burnett series and (I think) the Chip Hilton series. Biographies like the Babe Ruth Story, the Lou Gehrig story, etc. Shortly after that I think I went to the Hardy Boys mysteries. I don't think I read much that wasn't classified as "juvenile fiction" until a few years later. I lived in the suburbs of Fort Worth and we had weekly book mobiles that brought selections from the Fort Worth Public Library to the suburbs. Saturday mornings my Mother would take me to the book mobile and I could check out a maximum of four books. Gosh, how I loved the book mobile! Then we went to the drug store counter for a grilled cheese sandwich and a cherry Coke. Then back home to start reading my new books. Heck, I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. Wonderful memories.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

U.K. editions

1st U.S.A. edition

JAPANESE

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great memories Bob. Sounds like a golden age. I was the youngest of 4 and I recall seeing many Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books that my older siblings would read. I was too young for them and don't recall getting to read them.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those scans bring back great memories Bruce. Of course, seeing them, I must post my little Dahl gem. I posted this previously in my collection thread but here's a refresher.

This is inside the first one you posted with the red cover.

And a letter I once received from him.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic letter, Paul! I'm sure it is one of your prized possessions.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Fantastic letter! I'm sure it is one of your prized possessions.
    Thanks Bob. It sure is. For those who have an interest, this is a great biography of Dahl. Very well written and so engaging throughout. His was a life worth exploring.

Those scans bring back great memories Bruce. Of course, seeing them, I must post my little Dahl gem. I posted this previously in my collection thread but here's a refresher.

Great memories Bob. Sounds like a golden age. I was the youngest of 4 and I recall seeing many Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books that my older siblings would read. I was too young for them and don't recall getting to read them.

Spoiler:
    1938-1939

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Simply wonderful ! A letter to cherish and frame.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

I've been collecting various editions of Dracula for a long time and also books related to Dracula. Here is an old and fragile item that I just received yesterday. It is a small paperback titled Dracula: The Vampire Play in Three Acts. I think it dates to 1933 and it has the original stage play by Deane and Balderston done in London in 1927 as well as many extras. This was published in the US. In all my years of collecting Dracula I have never come across one of these.

It has a few photographs from the Dracula movie, some of which I don't remember ever seeing.

At the back are several production notes on costuming, set design and special effects. I found this description of how to do the bat scenes particularly interesting.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Bob. Must be very rare if you've never seen it in all the years. Congratulations!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's great! One of my all time favorite books.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool!

Hunter

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Wow...cool stuff! Love this thread and seeing all of the things people have.

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is amazing, congratulations on the pick up. Do you have a photo, on the site, of your Dracula collection?
    Lincoln.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

That's so cool Bob!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Quote Originally Posted by FennyBate View Post
    Do you have a photo, on the site, of your Dracula collection?
    I just took these. The shelves (like most of my collection right now) are poorly tended. I am running out of shelf space and now just place newer acquisitions on top of other books. I need to work on these shelves but this will give you an idea of my Dracula collection.

The first two photos are of the top shelf and start on the left with the (now traycased) first edition by Constable in 1897, followed by the first US edition in 1899 and going through (roughly) the late 1920's.

Late 1920's through the late 1960's.

1970's through 2001.

Various unsorted later editions.

There are a few others scattered throughout the house but this is the bulk of the Dracula editons that I have. The Centipede Press editions are in another room on the only shelf I have that can accommodate huge books.

Dracula has been in print continuously since 1897. Collecting every edition is next to impossible. I collect the high points and editions I find interesting in one way or another, but this is nowhere near a complete collection. I would be happy to answer questions if you see a book in a picture and want some more information.

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely fantastic.
    Fourth photo from the bottom, the pair of matching slipcased editions, one black, one red - can you tell me more about them?
    Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by FennyBate View Post
    Fourth photo from the bottom, the pair of matching slipcased editions, one black, one red - can you tell me more about them?
    Two of my favorite editions. Published in 2001 by the Colorado Ballet to commemorate their performance of this ballet in their 41st season. The black copy on the left is one of 20 copies and the red one on the right is one of 65 copies. I really like the illustrations by Griff Jones. Each illustration is preceded by a bound in piece of protective material. I'm not sure what this is called. These are really well done books and signed by the artist and various members of the Colorado Ballet heirarchy. I haven't seen either of these editions for sale in quite a while.

I've not heard of the artist Griff Jones but I like these illustrations. And there must be 20 or so full color illustrations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 105 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 ... LastLast