Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2618

Thread: Other authors you collect

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow - I'm surprised at how a curved traycase spine and a different material make it so much more appealing! The sum of the small changes like would tip the scales for me with some of the lettereds that I just want to like but can't because the production values just aren't there (see: the lettered Imperial Radch trilogy, which I loved, but which just isn't 5x better than it's S/L equivalent).

Part of it also just seems like a missed opportunity. Once one small press has done an S/L edition of a book, no one else is going to get the rights for quite awhile.

Full disclosure: I did pre-order the lettered Provenance because I wanted to see it for myself and because it'll be easy to flip if it's disappointing.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Subterranean announced they're publishing the limited of Sea of Rust. I loved that book but I feel lately their editions have been getting more and more streamlined while the price has been going up. There's no mention of any illustrations and the book doesn't come with the slipcase. $80 for just that seems a bit steep IMO.
    The lack of illustrations has been disappointing (see the Expanse or Red Rising). I still like having a nice copy of a good book but I don’t think the price point is worth it. Won’t stop me from buying necessarily but I would like to see something different from the trade.

Gunslinger Apprentice ym2000 will become famous soon enough ym2000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ym2000 View Post
    Thank you! Josh is this you??

HUGE congrats on finding this!!! I know you've been looking for awhile and this is a big get. Glad to see that it's a beautiful book
    Nope, sorry! My name is Tim and I am relatively new, I just remembered that you had posted several times in the last 6 months that you were looking for this and I know it's not a cheap book or easy to find

It stuck in my head because it's hard to find pictures online of a lot of Sub Press Lettered editions, and this was one that I wanted to see!
    Hey Tim! My bad. I was not sure and I see that you are also looking for Chimera... And Deluxe versions.... he he. Thank you for the compliment! I am definitely on a mission to photograph as many as possible!
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:
    Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane - leather

SubPress:
    Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Letter V ( will trade for PC +cash)
    Neal Stephenson’ Cryptomonicon and Zodiac - Letter O

My Book Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    This is the Sub Press DANGEROUS WAYS lettered, which is kind of a different case. I have all of their Vance, Farmer's and all the Ellison's and Bloch's except one each if you want to see any of those.

Very cool! I have never seen that edition. Thankfully I havent started chasing after Vance books just yet although I did manage to add a couple recently. It looks like a design that was used in many other series - I know Abercrombie, Butcher, Bradbury. It must have been a phase. Super cool though.
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:

SubPress:

My Book Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Oooooooh - I'm curious! What did they used to do that has changed?

All of my Sub Press editions are from 2014 or later and they all fit the same theme: cloth-bound, nicer paper, good endpapers (but nothing marbled or too fancy) and new DJ art. Very few have any extras beyond that. I still buy the books they put out by authors I like but I don't really try anything new from them. I avoid the lettered editions because the same book but bound in cheap leather and in a traycase is just not appealing. They all still seem to sell out, though... Every once in awhile they go all out on a lettered and the result is really magnificent, but that is pretty rare and often the only indication that they are doing anything special is the higher price tag.

My favorite press, Centipede Press, also started going "mainstream" a couple of years ago. I liked how they did printed cloth covers but Jerad has switched to dustjackets (which he says have improved his numbers pretty significantly, for what it's worth). However, he still does books without dustjackets and with different design choices, and the books always have extras: new art, new essays, deleted scenes, collages of all previous cover art, etc., etc.

I'm curious what kind of stuff I missed from Sub Press back in the day. The older books don't seem to pop up too often and I want to know what to keep an eye out for!
    Also if you are member of Subterranean Press Facebook page I have been posting quite a few lettereds from various years including some really exotic stuff from Gaiman and others.
    Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:

SubPress:

My Book Collection

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All of my Sub Press editions are from 2014 or later and they all fit the same theme: cloth-bound, nicer paper, good endpapers (but nothing marbled or too fancy) and new DJ art. Very few have any extras beyond that. I still buy the books they put out by authors I like but I don't really try anything new from them. I avoid the lettered editions because the same book but bound in cheap leather and in a traycase is just not appealing. They all still seem to sell out, though... Every once in awhile they go all out on a lettered and the result is really magnificent, but that is pretty rare and often the only indication that they are doing anything special is the higher price tag.

My favorite press, Centipede Press, also started going "mainstream" a couple of years ago. I liked how they did printed cloth covers but Jerad has switched to dustjackets (which he says have improved his numbers pretty significantly, for what it's worth). However, he still does books without dustjackets and with different design choices, and the books always have extras: new art, new essays, deleted scenes, collages of all previous cover art, etc., etc.

I'm curious what kind of stuff I missed from Sub Press back in the day. The older books don't seem to pop up too often and I want to know what to keep an eye out for!
    Also if you are member of Subterranean Press Facebook page I have been posting quite a few lettereds from various years including some really exotic stuff from Gaiman and others.
    I am one of the poor rare souls that is not on Facebook... I've been able to ignore requests from relatives and college friends, but if something's going to get me to sign up, it's books! I joined this site because while Stephen King is not one of my bigger areas of collecting, I just needed some outlet to see and interact with other book collectors. But a number of members here post their non-SK stuff to Facebook and that is very tempting...

Country
    Country Flag

I am one of the poor rare souls that is not on Facebook... I've been able to ignore requests from relatives and college friends, but if something's going to get me to sign up, it's books! I joined this site because while Stephen King is not one of my bigger areas of collecting, I just needed some outlet to see and interact with other book collectors. But a number of members here post their non-SK stuff to Facebook and that is very tempting...
    Please stand by

Country
    Country Flag

To me, this is a superb example of what lettered edition should look like - exquisite binding, exotic materials, beautiful paper and artwork - design that adds to the story ( if its all possible ) that is quintessential old fashioned reading, reminiscent of times when you were a kid and loved Jules Verne or Alexandre Dumas.
    I even found a gentleman who worked on this book for Subterranean Press - the master binder is extremely talented and so proud of his work.
    Quite possibly my favorite Subterranean Press book.
    Shadow Of The Wind. Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Lettered edition.

Country
    Country Flag

Looking To Buy:

Wandering Star:

SubPress:

My Book Collection

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Beautiful book.

The two most elaborate tray cases on lettered books I have that are not from CD are BLOOD LINES by Richard Matheson from Gauntlet and the Phantasia Press STALKING THE NIGHTMARE by Harlan Ellison.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

To me, this is a superb example of what lettered edition should look like - exquisite binding, exotic materials, beautiful paper and artwork - design that adds to the story ( if its all possible ) that is quintessential old fashioned reading, reminiscent of times when you were a kid and loved Jules Verne or Alexandre Dumas.
    I even found a gentleman who worked on this book for Subterranean Press - the master binder is extremely talented and so proud of his work.

I am so jealous! Shadow of the Wind is my favorite book I have ever read, and I enjoyed the rest of the series quite a bit too. I have never seen the lettered so thanks for sharing... and thanks for letting me know I have something else to add to my wanted list.
    Lettered Wants:
    Altered Carbon "O"

Lettereds for Trade:
    The Passage Trilogy
    Wool Trilogy
    Silence of the Lambs
    Jekyll & Hyde

Traveler Clegane is on a distinguished road Clegane's Avatar

Thank you! Josh is this you??
    Nope, I'm over here. Easy misconception, however. Given that Chimera and Chimera II are the last two remaining Centipede Press titles I need to complete my library.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Subterranean announced they're publishing the limited of Sea of Rust. I loved that book but I feel lately their editions have been getting more and more streamlined while the price has been going up. There's no mention of any illustrations and the book doesn't come with the slipcase. $80 for just that seems a bit steep IMO.
    The lack of illustrations has been disappointing (see the Expanse or Red Rising). I still like having a nice copy of a good book but I don’t think the price point is worth it. Won’t stop me from buying necessarily but I would like to see something different from the trade.
    I'd like to add the Hyperion series by Simmons. Pick a random page, and there you have it, a scene worthy of an illustration. Those four books take up four spots on my all-time top-five SF list and I didn't get them.

A recent lettered I liked was Medusa's Web by Tim Powers. The three-in-one traycase for his Fault Lines trilogy was great too. Books themselves were just standard limiteds but housed in -- at the time -- unique traycase.

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I'd like to add the Hyperion series by Simmons. Pick a random page, and there you have it, a scene worthy of an illustration. Those four books take up four spots on my all-time top-five SF list and I didn't get them.
    I completely agree.. so disappointing. I have the numbered editions and fell in love with the books, but was disappointed to find out they have no illustrations of any of the countless amazing scenes. I am only holding on at this point because it is a complete set that matches my ASOIAF's number.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PennyUnwise View Post
    I completely agree.. so disappointing. I have the numbered editions and fell in love with the books, but was disappointed to find out they have no illustrations of any of the countless amazing scenes. I am only holding on at this point because it is a complete set that matches my ASOIAF's number.
    Yeah I bought them hoping for something that would really bring the book to life. All there is, is the dust jacket. No slipcases or anything.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

That SHADOW OF THE WIND is just stunning...thanks for sharing pics of that one.

Country
    Country Flag

This is a truly beautiful book - thank you for sharing!! I love the colors and the marbled boards, and just how well put together it is as a package. I see that the list was $500 - I think it's about at that price point that Sub Press Lettered editions start to shine.

Their most expensive Lettereds, and here I'm thinking of Smoke and Mirrors and Silence of the Lambs, both of which retailed at $1500, are simply amazing.

This book was a steal at list price, in my opinion. These are the kind of Lettered editions I want to own, and if you look at this next to one of the more common Lettered editions that they do, there is no mistaking the difference in production value.

I guess their business model is working pretty well for them, because even the "cheap" Lettered editions that I don't like always sell out, but I see books like this and wonder why this is not their standard for Lettered editions! I'm sure there's so much behind the scenes that I'm not accounting for, production times are probably a big one, and author contracts with stipulations, but what a result! And something for everyone to be proud of: the craftsmen that worked on them, the press, and the owner.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

The Shadow of the Wind is one of the most beautiful books I've seen, and your pictures do it full justice, Y! I'm a big fan of marbled boards, they look so damn neat. I know Snow Crash had them too, but can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Country
    Country Flag

What you said Snow Crash? haha! Here we go.
    Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson. Subterranean Press.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Beautiful! Love that purple color.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

Aaaww yes, double the fun! Gorgeous as well.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Wow!! I also love marbled boards - my favourite is still the lettered Song of Kali but that Shadow of the Wind is stunning. And I really like the artwork I see in that copy of Snow Crash (the boards are a little too bright for my taste, though).

Not as elaborate, but here is Gauntlet's BLOODLINES. The traycase is made of wood, both for the lettered and S/L editions:

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All of these look fantastic!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I have the numbered of BLOODLINES...nice to see what the lettered version looks like.

Wow, that SNOW CRASH is gorgeous...I'm not a Stephenson fan, but if I owned that deluxe edition I would be!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast