Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Hey, I have a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, and I don't get what the hell he's trying to do. Actually, this just motivated me to pull Corrections off the shelf and start reading...made it to page 5.
    Holy crap you do?! Wow - super cool. I have a BA in English and a BA in Comp Lit. How cool! Had no idea.

Yeah - Franzen is still garbage.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Hey, I have a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, and I don't get what the hell he's trying to do. Actually, this just motivated me to pull Corrections off the shelf and start reading...made it to page 5.
    Holy crap you do?! Wow - super cool. I have a BA in English and a BA in Comp Lit. How cool! Had no idea.

Yeah - Franzen is still garbage.
    My MFA and .50 cents still won't get me a cup of coffee in this messed up town...

It's not that Franzen's a bad writer...he's clearly not, and has a great command of language and vocabulary...the problem is it doesn't go anywhere. It's writing for writing's sake, and not for the reader.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are cracking me up.

Here's the photo that Kenny refers to. Franzen's very recent signature.

No, I have not read the book either.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Well, I'm going to finish the book I'm reading now ("The Thing," by Alan Dean Foster!) and then I'm going to read The Corrections cover-to-cover no matter what...so I'll have a valid opinion instead of just talking out my ass.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been in a book club with some friends for 10+ years now, and The Corrections is still the most hated book we've ever read. I'm intrigued by the idea of Freedom since it's set in St. Paul but in no big hurry to pick it up.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Last night was the book signing for Jonathan Franzen here in New York and it was the first time I had attended a reading of his and/or even seen him in person. Rahfa, I have to say, my opinion of him as a public figure has changed greatly.

Firstly, let's start with The Corrections. I still find it unreadable. I haven't made the concentrated effort that you plan to undertake but I remember when I did try, a few times, it didn't work. Maybe I will in a few years and maybe then I will get it -- maybe not. I picked up Freedom and scanned a few pages and then put it right back down and deemed it "another one of those."

Secondly, Franzen's ego and reputation tends to precede him. I've always viewed him as a bit of a dick with a problem with his own grandeur. Though now that I think back, those were only the things reported to me in articles and online blogs that I read immediately following the backlash to The Big O. Let's make this clear, Franzen writes novels, he doesn't do PR. So sure, his case for his own public relations was a total nightmare following the Oprah incident.

However, after seeing him read and talk and take questions and have a very brief chat with him at his signing tonight, my opinion couldn't be any more different than the above.

To start, he is incredibly funny in person. Patrick, it is a true shame that you missed him in action. Though the real treasure is the book, I found his persona to be the true experience. The moderator at the B&N gave a very lengthy, gloating introduction to Franzen and, while anyone would be mildly or incredibly embarrassed of just mentioning the incredible accomplishments, my initial thought would be that Franzen would just sit there, hear them, and accept them. Rather, he acted quite humble. Often rolling his eyes or hiding behind his book with embarrassment at the consistent compliments of his writing/awards, etc.

Anyway - to make a very long post short (if you've even made it this far) he read the first chapter of Freedom and I was memorized. I was truly interested in hearing every single word and genuinely interested in the story. IN addition to that, he took questions and was extremely entertaining and warm to the 400+ people in the crowd.

When I met him on the signing line, noticed that I had first editions of his oldest books, we talked about them, shook my hand and said thanks.

In the end, I can understand that his writing isn't for everyone, that part is clear. Jonathan Franzen the person, in my opinion, is ironically humble and darkly humorous and not at all what I expected.

Just thought I should update my original posting.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Sub Press:

Drood

Limited to 26 signed lettered copies, bound in cloth and leather, housed in a custom traycase: Regularly $500 -- Special Price $300

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Terror too... unless it sold out already.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Kenny, thank you for posting an account of your experience at the Franzen signing. He is reportedly coming back to our town in January for another reading/signing at another independent bookstore, so I'll make more of an effort to attend that one. Maybe I'll even read the book between now and then.

Thanks again.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Some 1st editions of other authors I collect:
    Robert Bloch - THE OPENER OF THE WAY
    Orson Scott Card - ENDER'S GAME
    Arthur C. Clarke - 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY
    Larry Niven - RINGWORLD (1st UK hardcover)
    Roger Zelazny - NINE PRINCES IN AMBER
    Philip Jose Farmer - THE GREEN ODYSSEY

Jack Vance - TO LIVE FOREVER
    Richard Matheson - BORN OF MAN AND WOMAN
    Jack Vance - THE DYING EARTH (1 of 11 lettered copies)
    Larry Niven - THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE
    Richard Matheson - HE IS LEGEND (lettered edition)

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WoW!
    I have always admired Robert Bloch and consider Arthur C. clarke as one of my all-time favorites. But I'm afraid I have very few first editions. Except from some of Clarke 's later books.
    This is awesome.

sk

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice!

Traveler Gilbert is on a distinguished road

The Mote in God's Eye, Ringworld, Nine Princes in Amber, and Ender's Game are all very rare and very expensive books! All of the ones pictured are rare, but those you never see. I heard Larry Niven say at a convention last year that he hadn't seen a copy of Mote in over 25 years. I've never seen Nine Princes in Amber and I've been collecting a LONG time. Wow! Awesome.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm impressed and very grateful for sharing.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

My modest Arthur C. Clarke collection. His earlier books are too expensive for me.

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

A few more Nine Princes In Ambers

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

you call that modest!, holy hannah there's bloody loads. How many books does he have out?, I only have the Space Odyssey Series and one short story collection by him, I've never got round to reading them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Haha....that's exactly my impression....I mean, I expect a writer to slave over every word and image and on and on...but for God's sake, make me understand you're actually going somewhere with it.

I'm convinced he's one of those authors that everybody talks and talks about, but very few actually sit down and READ...say what you want about Dan Brown, but people actually read his stuff cover-to-cover...
    Agree 1,000,000%. I don't see ANYONE reading his books and if I do, they are usually on page 10 and looking very confused. It's almost like he is mocking us by having his writing, literally, unreadable. And I studied literature... so trust me when I say he's garbage.
    So basically, I'm the jerk.

I'm at page 125 or so of The Corrections and I retract everything I said previously...so far, anyway, this is really a stunning book, and deserves all the praise.

I realized that it's simply a very dense book, and its language makes skimming all but impossible...not to compare in quality, but I blazed through Under the Dome in less than a week, maybe 3-4 days...while I've been at Corrections for several days and I'm not even a third through.

It's a difficult book. He's not making it easy, and since it's not a plot-driven story, he is asking you to invest with characters that aren't solving a murder or "doing" anything that makes it easy to follow along with.

But, his writing is phenomonal...he's capturing this family in detail that is really amazing.

It might not have a payoff...I might get to the end and not have any clue what any of it accomplished...but for now, I'm very impressed. It takes a lot of work, and I guess I was just a fat, lazy American who wasn't used to the effort.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    you call that modest!, holy hannah there's bloody loads. How many books does he have out?, I only have the Space Odyssey Series
    I love the Rama series, especially the first one, Rendezvous With Rama. Maybe his best ever.
    Then again, i was terribly impressed with Childhood's End also.

sk

Rahfa - I agree. I am listening to the audiobook of Freedom and it's amazing. You are right though, it's not some thriller with an amazing pay-off but the language is fantastic.

Clarke wrote a number of books in the 50s which are considered classics. They are expensive in first editions. I only have a few paperbacks

My favorite Clarke books are THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, 2001, 2010, 3001, the Rama series. He was one of the greatest SF writers.

Some Niven UK first hardcovers, kind of rare I guess, including the unused dust jacket for RINGWORLD.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Clarke wrote a number of books in the 50s which are considered classics. They are expensive in first editions. I only have a few paperbacks

My favorite Clarke books are THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, 2001, 2010, 3001, the Rama series. He was one of the greatest SF writers.
    He was the best, with Isaac Asimov a close second!
    (IMHO...)

sk

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post

He was the best, with Isaac Asimov a close second!
    (IMHO...)

sk
    I personally would put Robert A. Heinlein first, then Asimov, then Clarke.

John

Although I 'collect' both Asimov and Clarke, and have highly enjoyed their novels and stories and have read a dozen or so Heinlein novels, none of these are in my favorite "Top 10" or so of SF and/or fantasy authors. I guess it's more a matter of who you read first that determines what authors you like the best (of course that probably isn't really true), or maybe it's a matter of either heredity or environment. This theory was explored and scientifically documented in a 3 Stooges short I believe.

After some reflection, I will add Asimov and Clarke to my 'Top 10' list of authors. I was too hasty in my previous statement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 105 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast