Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 532 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 32 432 482 522 530 531 532 533 534 542 582 632 1032 ... LastLast
Results 13,276 to 13,300 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

If I only had the money!

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I copied and saved the following regarding identifying the Dead Zone first edition vs. the Book Club edition back in September 2006. I WISH I had noted from where and whom I copied it. My sincerest apologies to whomever first penned this!

Viking moved in the early 80's. Not sure exactly when, but it was between the publishing of Different Seasons and Christine, so either 1982 or 1983. The earlier address was 625 Madison Avenue, they moved to 40 West 23rd Street (both in N.Y). This is of crucial importance because most of the books published around that date are fairly hard to identify as firsts.

So how do you identify, say, a first edition of The Dead Zone? We'll look at the book and the DJ separately. First, the book. First Published in 1979 by The Viking Press is useless, they all say it. Absence of a number line? Usefull in differentiating between a 1st printing and a later printing, but useless in differentiating between a BCE and a 1st printing, because neither has number lines. What about size, you say. Some King BCE's are virtually the exact same size as the 1st editions. (The Dead Zone is one of these, It is another, not sure about others but unless you know for SURE that they NEVER made a BCE that size (and how can you really be sure?), then size wont help either (not all the time anyway). What's left? Quarter bound in black cloth with black boards? They're all like that. So now what's left? According to all the FAQ's I've seen, nothing. So there is NO surefire way to identify The Dead Zone as a first edition.

So basically people are identifying the dust jacket, not the book itself. Well, that's fine, right? If you've got a first edition DJ then it must be a first edition book, why the hell would someone put a first edition DJ on a book club? Where'd the first edition book go? DJ's almost always show wear before the book itself, so if you've got a real nice 1st edition DJ it'd be silly to think it contained a BCE book, right? The other way might happen, a First edition book with a shredded or absent DJ might have a BCE DJ, but you'd avoid that anyway assuming the book was also BCE.

Here's the problem. Later printing DJ's are, in at least some cases, identical to first edition DJ's. Christine is one of em, I own a 1st edition and a 3rd edition and the DJ's are completely identical. Date code is the same, price is the same, ISBN is the same, they're completely identical. The Dead Zone is the same way, at least up to the 6th printing (IIRC). So if you can't tell the difference between a 1st printing DJ and a 5th printing DJ, and you can't tell the difference between a BCE book and first edition book, then couldn't your "verified" first edition be a BCE with a later printing DJ? It sure as hell could, and I've seen several copies of the The Dead Zone in just such a manner sell for 75 dollars and up on eBay (as much as a real first edition, in other words. It's not like seeing a BCE Carrie sell for 75 dollars).

So here's where the little tidbit about Viking moving comes in. All the book clubs I've seen that are the correct size were printed AFTER 1983. The Dead Zone was, of course, printed in 1979. Which means the addresses should be different, and they are. The BCE's have the 40 West 23rd Street address, the real Firsts have the 625 Madison Avenue address. The nice thing here is that Viking printed the address on the CP AND the DJ. The later printings were still at 625 Madison, so when you see a BCE with a later printing DJ, not only is the address on the CP wrong, but the address on the CP and the DJ don't match.

Now, this doesn't mean that there couldn't be some BCE's out there that are the correct size printed before 1983. In which case I don't know what to tell ya.
    John
    Heh, I was just looking at Dead Zone's, and googled trying to find this particular post, so thanks for saving it.

Apology accepted. I made it, on one of the previous incarnations of TDT. As far as I know it's still true. Except maybe the quarter bound/black thing, probably not ALL like that, though mostly. I've seen lots of BCE Dead Zones with the 625 address, but they're all short (8.5"), and I've seen lots of BCE Dead Zones that are the right height (9.5"), but they all have the wrong address. As I said though, that isn't necessarily always true, could be old BCEs that are the right height and I've just never seen one.

I remember at the time getting frustrated because there were a LOT of books on eBay that were misrepresented because of this. E.g. later BCEs with a first edition DJ where they'd show a pic of the address on the DJ but not the CP, early BCs without DJs marketed as 1st/1sts, etc.

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    Not a 1st or a collectable (just an ominbus) but I always LOVED this edition for nostalgic reasons as it's the first King book I ever bought (with pocket money from my grandmother the year before she died - I was 11 or so).

The Shining, Carrie and Misery Omnibus By Stephen King

I really like this cover! Who's the artist?
    My original copy is in storage. I picked up another one very cheaply (a few bucks) on ebay so when it arrives I'll check the DJ to see if I can find the artist's name and let you know!

I'd love a copy of "Moth" eventually. But $500 is out of my price range right now. I wonder if these ever come up for less.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd love a copy of "Moth" eventually. But $500 is out of my price range right now. I wonder if these ever come up for less.
    I bought a NF one for considerably less from a member here. Don't worry, one will come up for sale again. That eBay listing is less than fine, and a little pricey for that condition.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I offered at 100 and he countered with 160 so he may be willing to come down a bit more.

Gunslinger Apprentice ap275 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

That copy is not numbered without slipcase - would that make it one of 300 not numbered copies?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ap275 View Post
    That copy is not numbered without slipcase - would that make it one of 300 not numbered copies?
    Likely, unless it somehow lost its slipcase.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably. I asked the seller yesterday morning and he hasn't replied.

I notice it's still listed as one of 200 though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice ap275 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Probably. I asked the seller yesterday morning and he hasn't replied.

I notice it's still listed as one of 200 though.
    Thanks. I was thinking about making an offer for the book, but now won't. If it's one of 200 it is missing a slipcase, and if it one of 300 then it is more expensive than abebooks copy if include shipping cost.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

#148/200 Stephen King/Michael Whelan Limited Edition print FIRESTARTER Dust Jacket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...p2056016.l4276
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like this, but think it's a bit pricy (originally sold for $35)

Harlan Elam - Stephen King - CHILDE ROLAND TO THE DARK TOWER - AP Poster xx/15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321375137653...84.m1423.l2649
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Selling a TON of Graphic Novels, Blu-Rays, DVDs, Collectible Books, and even a DVD signed by ALL OF THE ACTORS THAT PLAYED JASON VOORHEES! On eBay now, check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/shannonsmovies/m.html

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Damn! I finally see a signed/inscribed King that says "For John" (my real name - I've been looking for a "for John" or even a "for Jonah" for awhile) and it's "Christine", I already own a signed US and UK edition of this (made out to other people) so I can't buy a third. Ironic because I just bought a UK signed to a different name earlier today - wish I had seen this one first. So here it is if anyone else wants it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horror-Autho...-/141270207497

I THINK the sig is genuine (pic is a bit blurry) but might want to double check it with others here if you plan to buy it. I'm not 100 percent sure if it is genuine, it looks a little "loopy" and the photo is blurry...

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think the signature is legit. It's also dated almost a month before the supposed publication date (end of April 1983).

My Mood
    Breezy

I just checked my 2 signed books from him around that time, and the sig does look more like his later sigs (90's or so) than 80's so you're prob right that it's not genuine, sorry I should have posted it in the ebay BS thread.

Meanwhile, some very cool rare promo items from this seller here on ebay I just found, including Rose Madder mask (wasn't someone here looking for one of these recently?) and Misery signet rare promo, etc. No international postage indicated so I'll have to message him, but if anyone wants to grab something by him, here's the list... Very cool items, love that Rose Madder mask.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/darktowercom...p2047675.l2562

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with idlewarnings that the signature in that Christine is definitely no good.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn! I finally see a signed/inscribed King that says "For John" (my real name - I've been looking for a "for John" or even a "for Jonah" for awhile) and it's "Christine", I already own a signed US and UK edition of this (made out to other people) so I can't buy a third. Ironic because I just bought a UK signed to a different name earlier today - wish I had seen this one first. So here it is if anyone else wants it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horror-Autho...-/141270207497

I THINK the sig is genuine (pic is a bit blurry) but might want to double check it with others here if you plan to buy it. I'm not 100 percent sure if it is genuine, it looks a little "loopy" and the photo is blurry...
    John... Jonah... You did fine passing on it as it is a bad attempt at a sig.

What names did you wind up with?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post

What names did you wind up with?
    Be careful, 'cos if it's something like 'Debbie', thats what you're gonna get called!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 532 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 32 432 482 522 530 531 532 533 534 542 582 632 1032 ... LastLast