Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 470 471 472 473 474 482 522 572 972 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

That's utterly stupid - how eBay can "legally" do that is unbelievable. They sure are quick to slap bad buyers with more penalties when they pull stunts like this.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

A deal culminated on eBay constitutes a contract. A contract can be enforced in civil court.

As the buyer I would have asked the seller to come to a reasonable solution. I can understand that the price wasn't even close to a fair market price and would have been willing to sweeten the pot to conclude the transaction. If the seller refused I would probably have threatened a civil lawsuit in my County Court for Breach of Contract. If the threat didn't work I would seriously consider actually filing the suit.

I would definitely have left negative feedback failing a resolution.

I messaged the buyer about it. I'll post any reply.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    So I am wondering if someone here tipped off the seller that they had sold the book too cheap......because the seller backed out on the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I can't say for sure on your auction Tippy, but the same thing happened to me on a Wizard & Glass 1st. The seller put it on Ebay with a Buy it Now for $20 shipped. I bought it.......paid immediately through Paypal........the next day the seller backed out and his message and I quote "thanks to an honest member of a collectors board thedarktower.org I have been told I need to pull the book back and resell at a higher price".
    What an extremely low class thing to do.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    So I am wondering if someone here tipped off the seller that they had sold the book too cheap......because the seller backed out on the deal.
    I can't say for sure on your auction Tippy, but the same thing happened to me on a Wizard & Glass 1st. The seller put it on Ebay with a Buy it Now for $20 shipped. I bought it.......paid immediately through Paypal........the next day the seller backed out and his message and I quote "thanks to an honest member of a collectors board thedarktower.org I have been told I need to pull the book back and resell at a higher price".
    I am glad someone notified them of their mistake. It is the right thing to do. Morally, I would not be able to bid or buy that without notifying the seller that they might want to do more research, if the seller didn't know it could possibly be worth a lot more. I am all for a bargain, especially with a motivated seller, but that is a huge mistake!

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

They always say "buyer beware" maybe the seller should have done his homework before listing it. Once its sold it is a done deal!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

The seller screwed up, that's what it comes down to. It's up to the seller to do research when pricing an item, and the buyers responsibility to know whether they're getting a good value. But, no matter what, once it's sold, it's a done deal. The seller had no right to back out of the sale.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree.

John

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

A deal is a deal. The seller was obviously originally happy to sell the book for that price, and its very poor form to pull out.

I'd be really pissed if someone here screwed me out of a deal like that.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    A deal is a deal. The seller was obviously originally happy to sell the book for that price, and its very poor form to pull out.

nobody here would offer you a deal like that, unless they desperately needed money! would you buy a car from an old lady for $500 if you knew it was worth thousands? and she was selling her husbands car?

if my nephew tried to sell my collection here, after i go senile, are you going to take advantage of him, because he doesn't know better?

wouldn't you like someone to be honest and say - Hey! You should check out what you have there, before you sell?

thats all i am saying.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

wouldn't you like someone to be honest and say - Hey! You should check out what you have there, before you sell?
    "Before you sell" being the important part of that sentence. Not, "oh you sold it too cheap so pull out of the deal"

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Buyer and seller beware. I've been burned before and consider it part of the fun.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post

nobody here would offer you a deal like that, unless they desperately needed money! would you buy a car from an old lady for $500 if you knew it was worth thousands? and she was selling her husbands car?

if my nephew tried to sell my collection here, after i go senile, are you going to take advantage of him, because he doesn't know better?

thats all i am saying.
    Yes, BEFORE it was sold. If you as the seller, don't do the research into what your selling and sell it for less then its worth thats on you. You can't just back out on a sale, especially after its been paid for.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's low class for someone, whether a member of this forum or not, to "alert" an e-Bay seller that he/she could have gotten more money, after a deal was made. The contract is between those two parties, NOT a third person who happens to not like the deal someone else got and decides to meddle. Reeks of sour grapes to me.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Right. So delete the BS eBay sellers thread then. Buyer beware, right? They should do their research and who are we to meddle?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I am certainly in line with the majority here - a sale is a sale. When dealing with ebay, it's understood that buyers and sellers need to do their research. Whomever alerted the seller was a jerk!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Right. So delete the BS eBay sellers thread then. Buyer beware, right? They should do their research and who are we to meddle?
    I wholly disagree. No need to delete the thread - the thread is an important part of the research process. Alerting someone once a deal has been consummated is an entirely different ethical dilemma.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Brennan's buyer's have been notified AFTER the auctions have ended. (Can't notify the buyer while the auction is still live. Hardy har har.)

Edit: I hope you didn't really think I was suggesting we delete that thread.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Brennan's buyer's have been notified AFTER the auctions have ended. (Can't notify the buyer while the auction is still live. Hardy har har.)

PHEW! Sometimes I am very literal!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

There's a difference between alerting a buyer that the item she/he has won is a fake and telling the seller that he/she had underpriced an item.

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I am glad someone notified them of their mistake. It is the right thing to do. Morally, I would not be able to bid or buy that without notifying the seller that they might want to do more research, if the seller didn't know it could possibly be worth a lot more. I am all for a bargain, especially with a motivated seller, but that is a huge mistake!
    You say "that is a huge mistake". Please explain that comment because Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. What price is fair? $50 $60 $100 $1 $200 $1000 $20 Who sets the price? Wouldn't it be the seller No matter if it's a car, boat, bike, book, sex, or coat?

Mulleins

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

brennan was committing felonious frauds. I don't see an analogy.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a whole thread dedicated to "that great deal". Guess some here think that is a morally deficient thread and all that post in it are ripping off little old ladies of their pensions on the side.

Back on topic

40th Anniversary Christine at £40.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Christine-30...item5d44f7248d

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Guess some here think that is a morally deficient thread and all that post in it are ripping off little old ladies of their pensions on the side.
    LOL

Did anybody else picture her with curly grey hair, silver horn-rimmed glasses and a flowered purse held in white-gloved hands?
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

This is a pretty funny situation - I like it because there are two moral sides without a clear answer.

First - the civil suit idea, while satisfying to consider, is a non-starter. Your only 'damage' is the $15 dollars you didn't get to spend. I suppose a lawyer could come up with something, but then you're paying a lawyer.

Second - it's scummy to back out of a deal like that...but...if you realize you've left $200 on the table, what choice do you have? It's one thing to do the right thing, but it's another thing to lose the money AND basically hand someone $200 for your screwup. So I don't know what I'd do if I was in that situation. I'd be pissed at myself, but I'm not sure I'd take the moral high ground and send the book out.

Third - the busybody gadfly who tipped him off (if they came from here) has way too much time on their hands. If you're whining because somebody made a mistake, then write a check for $200 and mail it to the seller and soothe your conscience that way. Otherwise, mind your own business.

Fourth - Years ago, I saw a New Lt's Rap for sale for an obscenely low price (ob-scene)...to the point where I felt bad for the seller. I also suspected he'd get other offers for the same price - so I offered $100 more than the asking price and explained that he'd low-balled himself a little bit. I also did this to high-ball anybody else who was emailing him. Turned out, I WAS competing with other would-be buyers, but because I offered more (still much too little...I still feel bad.), I got the book.

Point is - low-balls are fine and all if you can get away with them, but it goes both ways. You can't be totally greedy.

If you're basically taking advantage of someone who's made a big mistake on a price, you can't complain that much when they decide not to honor it. Yeah, a "contract's a contract" but you can't be that moral when you're trying to profit off a mistake....if you get away, good for you, but don't cry when it doesn't pan out.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

brennan was committing felonious frauds. I don't see an analogy.
    The analogy was that the buyer commited to it already, paid and received the item and was actually happy with it. Brennan's buyer actually came on here for a brief visit, told us we were all wrong and his signature was legit. He then never posted again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 470 471 472 473 474 482 522 572 972 ... LastLast