Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 746 796 ... LastLast
Results 17,376 to 17,400 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

Servant of Gan Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Life seems so much easier when you don't collect signed books.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roog View Post
    Life seems so much easier when you don't collect signed books.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan565 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    You say you don't always obtain proof... Then say you do. Which is it? I can tell you I will be steering clear of your stuff. Not to mention your comments to well respected members here.
    You'd be defensive too if you had people question the authenticity of your signatures when it seems like they aren't actually obtaining any themselves. Not only that, but they don't seem to want to call out specific signatures just post generalizations that are extremely harmful, when it's clear they have no idea what they are talking about.
    I would handle myself differently and I don't trust you... and by the looks of it buddy.. I am NOT alone.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Where is Bill Bender when you need him to put this Masshole in his place with a quick retort?

'Mon back Bill!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's my standard to judge whether an autograph dealer is a fraud: wait for someone to die, and then see how many autographed photos of that person they list on eBay.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

For the record... it isn't that I distrust redsoxfan... I don't know him or her... I just distrust the signed second hand market in general... and if something looks strange to me, as in something that I've not encountered in my several hundred signed limiteds or signatures that I know 100 % are real - then I question it.

There are lots of honest mistakes going on out there... I just don't want to be one of them, so I err on the side of caution... again...that's just me.

That said... the post I made above about the hesitation... that is indeed a sign of some forgeries... where someone is trying to copy a sig... and rather than flowing smoothly as when writing one's own name... they hesitate and have to start writing again.
    But is that the only reason that could cause that, no... someone/something could have distracted King at that exact moment... and King is getting older and his hands probably shake somewhat....like most older people's.
    Looking through the threads today, I noticed that TCCBodhi recently posted a Mr Mercedes signature that looked the same (in the new pride and joy thread).
    Erring on the side of caution, I wouldn't consider buying that copy either...but seeing two books with a very similar irregularity does lend more credence to Redsox's authentication of this one book. (unless TCCBodhi happened to buy his copy from redsox... then that'd be a bit weird)

Like I have stated... when it comes to signatures....it's limiteds for me... unless I'm buying from someone I know well and actually saw at the events. Even then I would have to get it for a very good price.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    For the record... it isn't that I distrust redsoxfan... I don't know him or her... I just distrust the signed second hand market in general... and if something looks strange to me, as in something that I've not encountered in my several hundred signed limiteds or signatures that I know 100 % are real - then I question it.

There are lots of honest mistakes going on out there... I just don't want to be one of them, so I err on the side of caution... again...that's just me.

That said... the post I made above about the hesitation... that is indeed a sign of some forgeries... where someone is trying to copy a sig... and rather than flowing smoothly as when writing one's own name... they hesitate and have to start writing again.
    But is that the only reason that could cause that, no... someone/something could have distracted King at that exact moment... and King is getting older and his hands probably shake somewhat....like most older people's.
    Looking through the threads today, I noticed that TCCBodhi recently posted a Mr Mercedes signature that looked the same (in the new pride and joy thread).
    Erring on the side of caution, I wouldn't consider buying that copy either...but seeing two books with a very similar irregularity does lend more credence to Redsox's authentication of this one book. (unless TCCBodhi happened to buy his copy from redsox... then that'd be a bit weird)

Like I have stated... when it comes to signatures....it's limiteds for me... unless I'm buying from someone I know well and actually saw at the events. Even then I would have to get it for a very good price.
    The copy of Mr. Mercedes Seth listed in the Pride and Joy thread was a copy I sold him. More than a few members were present when I purchased that copy. It is 100% authentic. I bought a couple copies at the Brooklyn event in April.
    [FONT="Century Gothic"] There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.../FONT]Sixx: A.M. The Heroin Diaries

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I ONLY collect limited and lettereds like you BECAUSE I know they are real... AND books that I get at signing events. That way I know what is real and what is not!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

Here is a link to his current SK signed items.

I have no doubt that many of these signatures are obtained at moments where a table or writing surface is not available, and the item being signed is being held.....so there is bound to be some variations in the signatures.
    Hi There - quick question for redsoxfan - just my own curiosity, I don't have enough years of collecting experience to comment on the accusations and explanations.

As a more junior collector who's trying to learn the market I do have a question for you:

Wondering how all of the King signed books you have for sale, with exception of one, are signed in blue ink? Some of your listings point out that they were signed at the Brooklyn event, but some make no mention of when/where they were signed. Awesome that you were able to get him to sign 4 or 5 books in Brooklyn.

For the others, do you just carry your own blue pen and then ask SK to use it whenever you can grab him to sign something like your Christine, or Blockade Billy or Rose Madder, or IT, or Faithful, etc.?

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

King usually has his pen of choice Blue unibal pen. The Brookluyn event you could buy 20 signed books if you wanted. Jerome, Glen and others were present when the Mr. Mercedes mentioned above was purchased. I've had King sign 3 books this year that were not part of signings and every time he's had his usual pen.
    [FONT="Century Gothic"] There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.../FONT]Sixx: A.M. The Heroin Diaries

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post

The copy of Mr. Mercedes Seth listed in the Pride and Joy thread was a copy I sold him. More than a few members were present when I purchased that copy. It is 100% authentic. I bought a couple copies at the Brooklyn event in April.

and like I pointed out above... in my eyes, seeing two similarly signed books from two different sources tends to give much more validation to Red Sox's book... at least that particular one.
    I'm still going to pretty much stick to getting my own signatures and just limited editions. Back in the old days... when I first started collecting, I bought some signed 1st edition books. from people like Hutch, Stu, and a few others... but back in those days, the internet/ebay hadn't become a place for so many forgeries. Not worth chancing nowdays...IMO.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I mean... on the drive from Bangor to Bridgton... I saw Jerome sitting in the backseat with a large stack of Finders Keepers books and a whole handful of Blue unibal pens...

Not sure what he the hell he was doing... said something about marking the route on the map.... but I didn't see any map.

Terry I apologize if my post came across in a way other than intended. I just saw a book I sold being called into question that I knew was legit and purchased in presence of multiple members including the owner of the site. My apologies if I came off as a dick it wasn't intentional.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Because health issues preclude my attending any signings that are any distance, I depend on the members who DID attend to get flat signed books. I've never bought a signed trade book off eBay, nor do I intend to.

John

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

not a problem.... I'm always the biggest dick in the room anyways....

well... at least when I'm by myself .... and sometimes when I'm in a roomful of girls....

Gunslinger Apprentice redsoxfan565 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by KingKornKarn View Post

I have no doubt that many of these signatures are obtained at moments where a table or writing surface is not available, and the item being signed is being held.....so there is bound to be some variations in the signatures.
    Hi There - quick question for redsoxfan - just my own curiosity, I don't have enough years of collecting experience to comment on the accusations and explanations.

As a more junior collector who's trying to learn the market I do have a question for you:

Wondering how all of the King signed books you have for sale, with exception of one, are signed in blue ink? Some of your listings point out that they were signed at the Brooklyn event, but some make no mention of when/where they were signed. Awesome that you were able to get him to sign 4 or 5 books in Brooklyn.

For the others, do you just carry your own blue pen and then ask SK to use it whenever you can grab him to sign something like your Christine, or Blockade Billy or Rose Madder, or IT, or Faithful, etc.?
    The books from Brooklyn were all presigned by King. I actually didn't obtain anything other than those as he was real bad during that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan565 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKornKarn View Post

The books from Brooklyn were all presigned by King. I actually didn't obtain anything other than those as he was real bad during that trip.
    Very true all were presigned And they rushed him in and out of the building So the usual chances to get a signature were not there. Thankfully Peter helped me out on Getting my NLR proof Signed. The only hardback books they had was a few revivals All the rest were paperbacks.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I did NOT buy mine from RedSoxFan, but from Lot Guy, as he mentioned himself, who has a stellar rep here. I, myself, am generally mistrustful of the secondary market, so it all comes down to reputation and trust if proof can't be or isn't provided. I wasn't at the NY event where all these paperbacks were signed, but remember the stories. The conditions he signed these in were probably less than stellar, they are probably unwieldy, being held open by a book store person, signed quickly, and there seems like there were CARTS of them if I remember the story, so a certain amount of fatigue.

So if I saw my copy on Ebay, I certainly would be going to the story of where it came from, whatever proof (photographic or other) that is attached to the sale), the reputation of the seller and just my gut reaction. In MY situation, I knew the story of that particular event lent itself to sloppy sigs, and that Matt has a good reputation, so I put trust into the sale.

I'm STILL looking for a Mr. Mercedes signed 1st HC though, so if anyone has a reasonably priced extra! LOL!
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    When you are basically selling a $30 trade edition (that can be picked up in Costco for $17) for $900, the people of this forum are well within their rights to voice their opinions. That $870 premium for 11 letters gives them that rightGerald

I had never thought of it that way... 80 bucks per letter....hmmmm, yet another reason I think I'll stick to signed limiteds - at least you usually get a silk bookmark.

but then, I'm kind of cringing when I think of how much I spent on that trip to Maine...
    If I had not gotten a donut, I'd so be kicking my foolish ass right now.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    When you are basically selling a $30 trade edition (that can be picked up in Costco for $17) for $900, the people of this forum are well within their rights to voice their opinions. That $870 premium for 11 letters gives them that rightGerald

I had never thought of it that way... 80 bucks per letter....hmmmm, yet another reason I think I'll stick to signed limiteds - at least you usually get a silk bookmark.

but then, I'm kind of cringing when I think of how much I spent on that trip to Maine...
    With the donut you came out ahead for sure!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I figure I probably broke even....

between the airfare, food, various parking fees, cab rides, car rental, dog boarding, hotels, sk tour and signing tickets, and not counting the small misc. stuff - I spent $2423.56

so that breaks down to a $500.00 signed book

and a $1923.56 donut

sounds about right to me.

Broke even? Shit the way I see it you got the donut for half price. Imagine if you had gone back for seconds!!!!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I ate my donut as soon as I sat down in the theater. So I don't even have that to offset the costs anymore.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    Broke even? Shit the way I see it you got the donut for half price. Imagine if you had gone back for seconds!!!!
    it was a bit cheaper because it had a hole in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 746 796 ... LastLast