Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 223 623 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some people have entirely too much time on their hands and are too petty to understand that these books were published decades ago before the dangers of asbestos were widely known. Not to mention their complete lack of knowledge that one copy of the Lettered Firestarter actually burned up in a fire, boy talk about irony.

They also don't seem to understand that used as it was in the books, any asbestos that is actually in them poses no threat as they are, as I understand it at least. From what I have been told, it is only when the asbestos containing materials are destroyed (torn apart or burned) that they present any hazard.

If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. Either way, those people still sounds like they're a bunch of asses.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

The "Ban Asbestos Secretariat?" Good lord...

I'm sure you're right, Sam...these aren't made of latent asbestos pulled out of a building foundation. It's the fine thread of asbestos in the air from tons and tons of it in a building's walls, ceiling, etc...not a book cover.

Anything would burn though...it's not impervious to flame, I don't think, just resistant.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    It's the fine thread of asbestos in the air from tons and tons of it in a building's walls, ceiling, etc...not a book cover.
    Long term exposure to particulate matter is what is problematic. Latency (delay in symptoms) also was/is a problem. Workers who spent years inhaling asbestos 'dust' developed cancer many years after initial (and long term) exposure.
    Having the book on one's shelf should pose no problem.
    If anyone here needs disposal of Farenheight 451, or The Lettered Firestarter, I can arrange, for a modest fee to remove the book from your premises.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Makes me wonder: did the asbestos cover actually burn, or were it just the pages? I would actually pay (some) money for a burned copy, I think it would be a neat item to have 8)

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I think some members were looking for Hearts in Atlantis Dog Tags:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-Pro...item5885acd05a
    I'm on it as well. Thanks.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As I recall from my OSHA training, asbestos poses no health hazard unless it is friable, or airborne. The asbestos fibers look like crystal spears under a microscope, when inhaling friable material the 'spears' embed themselves in the lung tissue. The resultant scarring of the embedded area will not allow the lung to oxygenate the blood in the affected area.

I would assume you are safe owning the books unless your cat starts sharpening his claws on the cover.
    But that's a whole 'nother problem...

Karl

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    This auction is being run by my friend Chris Golden (one of the authors of the Stephen King Universe) to raise some cash for Glenn Chadbourne:

Batman #400 signed by Stephen King

Way back in 1986, Stephen King wrote the introduction for DC Comics' anniversay issue, Batman #400. On October 1st of that year, he signed this copy for artist Glenn Chadbourne...who would later go on to be the illustrator on the two volumes of Stephen King's Secretary of Dreams. The comic book itself is in very good condition, but the real value here is that this is a one of a kind piece of Stephen King history, a connection between King and Chadbourne almost twenty years before they would work together. I'm selling this on Chadbourne's behalf.

From Glenn Chadbourne:

"Back in 1986 I entered a comic drawing contest being offered by the then Castlerock newspaper. The contest was for best cartoon relating to Steve King. I drew a werewolf cartoon--and won first prize. The prize consisted of a signed copy of Creepshow, a signed Cracked magazine featuring a segment featuring Steve, and a signed Batman Anniversary 400 comic. I then went on to draw cartoons for a couple further issues of Castlerock. I was twenty six at the time, still had all my hair and not a gray whisker in sight."
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Intriguing. It would be nice if there were images to view.
    I agree with Jerome.

Considering how Christopher is stating on Shocklines that he wants to see the price go up, posting even a single photo of the inscription could go a long way in helping to realize his goal.

The comic book itself is worth about five bucks, so the inscription/signature is the value (aside from the intrinsic value of helping out Glenn).
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    This auction is being run by my friend Chris Golden (one of the authors of the Stephen King Universe) to raise some cash for Glenn Chadbourne:

Way back in 1986, Stephen King wrote the introduction for DC Comics' anniversay issue, Batman #400. On October 1st of that year, he signed this copy for artist Glenn Chadbourne...who would later go on to be the illustrator on the two volumes of Stephen King's Secretary of Dreams. The comic book itself is in very good condition, but the real value here is that this is a one of a kind piece of Stephen King history, a connection between King and Chadbourne almost twenty years before they would work together. I'm selling this on Chadbourne's behalf.

From Glenn Chadbourne:

"Back in 1986 I entered a comic drawing contest being offered by the then Castlerock newspaper. The contest was for best cartoon relating to Steve King. I drew a werewolf cartoon--and won first prize. The prize consisted of a signed copy of Creepshow, a signed Cracked magazine featuring a segment featuring Steve, and a signed Batman Anniversary 400 comic. I then went on to draw cartoons for a couple further issues of Castlerock. I was twenty six at the time, still had all my hair and not a gray whisker in sight."
    I agree with Jerome.

Considering how Christopher is stating on Shocklines that he wants to see the price go up, posting even a single photo of the inscription could go a long way in helping to realize his goal.

The comic book itself is worth about five bucks, so the inscription/signature is the value (aside from the intrinsic value of helping out Glenn).
    I'm putting $107 on it to help out.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    From the NY Times:

Who says literature can’t be hot? The Fine Books Company of Rochester, Mich., is selling “The Complete Science Fiction Asbestos Collection,” a set of fireproofed, autographed first editions of Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451″ and Stephen King’s “Firestarter.” The books are bound in a silvery, asbestos material, and going for the minor sum of $31,810. For those with money to burn, apparently.

Wow, check out all the comments on the NYTIMES article- I know asbestos is not to be taken lightly, but these people are pretty upset about the books!

Ron
    i believe Bob (aka. carlosd..) is a doctor and he owns (at least) one of these, right?

if the doc ordered this, i think it'd work for me.... if i was rich like bob.

though I have been known to inhale king's stories on occasion....and i am a bit of a bookworm, i'm thinking after paying this much for a book, there'd be little chance i'd be caught nawing on it's cover.
    it'd be the last book i ate... anyways.

now if i had small kids, that might be an issue.... but my dogs are indestructable, i've seen some of the crap they eat - literally and figuratively

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So is the Fahrenheit 451 really made with asbestos? I know the Firestarter is not just knicknamed that due to the story and the look of the book.

Not that it makes any difference, as has been noted here, unless you inhale the material in an airborne form over many many many years it is not a big deal.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    So is the Fahrenheit 451 really made with asbestos?
    Yes.

Ray Bradbury: Extremely Rare Signed First Edition of Fahrenheit 451 with Asbestos Boards. (New York: Ballantine Books, 1953), first edition, 199 pages plus author biography, white asbestos boards with red lettering on spine and front board,
    For a long time, Fahrenheit 451 was the only genre book ever to be bound in asbestos, and it's still one of two to hold that disctinction. In 1980, Stephen King ordered a limited number of copies of his novel Firestarter bound in asbestos as a tribute to this particular release of Fahrenheit 451.
    Link to full text.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    So is the Fahrenheit 451 really made with asbestos?
    Yes.

Ray Bradbury: Extremely Rare Signed First Edition of Fahrenheit 451 with Asbestos Boards. (New York: Ballantine Books, 1953), first edition, 199 pages plus author biography, white asbestos boards with red lettering on spine and front board,
    For a long time, Fahrenheit 451 was the only genre book ever to be bound in asbestos, and it's still one of two to hold that disctinction. In 1980, Stephen King ordered a limited number of copies of his novel Firestarter bound in asbestos as a tribute to this particular release of Fahrenheit 451.
    Link to full text.
    Does anyone besides me think it is hogwash to definitely state that King "ordered" the lettered edition to be bound in asbestos? I suppose it could be true but since this was King's first limited edition I think it more likely that Alex Berman (with a history of producing fine limited editions) suggested it. It's probably documented somewhere and maybe I'm wrong but I think Heritage just made this up.

It reminds me of the rumor that was accepted as fact for ages that King ordered all copies of 'SALEM'S LOT recalled from bookstores to be repriced from $8.95 to $7.95.

Country
    Country Flag

I think they mean the other definition of "ordered", as in placed and order rather than demanded. I agree with you that Alex Berman probably suggested it having had FAR more experience with limited editions than King did at that point.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the clarification on Firestarter. That was new to me. Not that I will be investing in that book anytime in the near future. Would rather have a new car first.

Traveler FINEBOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point

Default THE CORRECT ORIGIN OF THE ASBESTOS FIRESTARTER

When my friend Alex Berman told me he had a contract to produce a signed limited edition of FIRESTARTER by Stephen King, I was very happy for him. When he told me of doing something special, such as an even more prominent lettered edition, I thought that to be a fun idea. Upon viewing some advance matter for the book (from Viking if I recall correctly), specifically the page which quotes from Ray Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451 "It was a pleasure to burn....," I suggested to Alex that now might be the time to produce the second genre book bound in asbestos. As you all know, he did.

To those who surmised that the statement "In 1980, Stephen King ordered a limited number of copies of his novel FIRESTARTER bound in asbestos as a tribute to this particular release of FAHRENHEIT 451" was false, congratulate yourself. It was.....!!! As a matter of fact, I pointed this out to the good people at Heritage Auctions before their sale. Surprise......!!! They ignored it.
    THE FINE BOOKS COMPANY
    Last edited by FINEBOOKS; 01-25-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Left out word and grammar fixes.....

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the definitive clarification. I hope you don't mind if I quote you in the King Collectibles Catalog (Lettered Firestarter thread).

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Under the Dome ARC Signed + LOTS of books related to King & other authors, for only $250 with BIN option ???

ebay #200432163375
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200432163375
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you read the auction carefully, you'll see that the seller is offering a signed trade edition of Under the Dome plus the letter that accompanyed the proof, plus lots of other items. It is NOT a signed proof being offered.

John

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    If you read the auction carefully, you'll see that the seller is offering a signed trade edition of Under the Dome plus the letter that accompanyed the proof, plus lots of other items. It is NOT a signed proof being offered.

John
    You are right. I have just inquired to the seller and the ARC itself is not part of the sale, although the letter is.

Traveler FINEBOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point

Default PERMISSION TO QUOTE....

Thanks for the definitive clarification. I hope you don't mind if I quote you in the King Collectibles Catalog (Lettered Firestarter thread).
    Granted and thanks for your courtesy by asking. THE FINE BOOKS COMPANY

Goldmember Eric719691 is on a distinguished road

Do you think this guy will get a bid close to what he is asking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-THE...item2eaa6d95d4

Talk about overinflating $200 worth of books.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are vastly over-priced. At about 1/10 the price they may sell.

John

Country
    Country Flag

From what I see, they aren't even worth $150 for the seven. Four Viking reprints, and three high print run Grants. I'd figure about $15 each, give or take a dollar or two.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

From Glenn Chadbourne:

I agree with Jerome.

I'm putting $107 on it to help out.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    You're a good man, even if you didn't win. Glad to see this auction close so high!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FINEBOOKS View Post
    When my friend Alex Berman told me he had a contract to produce a signed limited edition of FIRESTARTER by Stephen King, I was very happy for him. When he told me of doing something special, such as an even more prominent lettered edition, I thought that to be a fun idea. Upon viewing some advance matter for the book (from Viking if I recall correctly), specifically the page which quotes from Ray Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451 "It was a pleasure to burn....," I suggested to Alex that now might be the time to produce the second genre book bound in asbestos. As you all know, he did.

To those who surmised that the statement "In 1980, Stephen King ordered a limited number of copies of his novel FIRESTARTER bound in asbestos as a tribute to this particular release of FAHRENHEIT 451" was false, congratulate yourself. It was.....!!! As a matter of fact, I pointed this out to the good people at Heritage Auctions before their sale. Surprise......!!! They ignored it.
    THE FINE BOOKS COMPANY
    Interesting clarification. Thanks for posting. Hope you stick around and continue to post. Welcome to TDT.com!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 223 623 ... LastLast