Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 848 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 348 748 798 838 846 847 848 849 850 858 898 948 ... LastLast
Results 21,176 to 21,200 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    the signature looks legit to me, but was he doing the looped crossed T in 75? its a long shot, but is it possible he just had the date wrong when he signed it?
    If you check a calendar, he signed the correct DAY for the date. The earliest picture of a dated inscription that I have where King crosses a 7 is in November 1978.
    It's commonly believed that King didn't start to cross his 7's until after he and his family went to England briefly in 1977.
    Yeah I just looked into that myself actually. Quite strange really... For what it's worth the next Tuesday the 16th of September was 1980. This book really is a mystery.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

What I've learned is NEVER to be surprised by what King does, or departures from his norm. I agree this book is a bit of a mystery...how can a pre-publication inscription (correct date) be NOT a 1st edition. What captures MY interest is until this book surfaced, I believed I owned the earliest inscribed/dated Salem's Lot out there....two weeks prior to publication...a true 1st edition (2nd state DJ) inscribed to King's college roommate and his wife. This date is EARLIER than mine.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    What I've learned is NEVER to be surprised by what King does, or departures from his norm. I agree this book is a bit of a mystery...how can a pre-publication inscription (correct date) be NOT a 1st edition. What captures MY interest is until this book surfaced, I believed I owned the earliest inscribed/dated Salem's Lot out there....two weeks prior to publication...a true 1st edition (2nd state DJ) inscribed to King's college roommate and his wife. This date is EARLIER than mine.
    How could King date and sign a book 9/17/1975 that physically wasn't printed until 1978?

More and more I am of the belief that if the inscription is legit (and it sure looks good to me other than the crossed "7"), then the inscription page was glued into a book printed in 1978.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the signature looks legit to me, but was he doing the looped crossed T in 75? its a long shot, but is it possible he just had the date wrong when he signed it?
    If you check a calendar, he signed the correct DAY for the date. The earliest picture of a dated inscription that I have where King crosses a 7 is in November 1978.
    It's commonly believed that King didn't start to cross his 7's until after he and his family went to England briefly in 1977.
    Completely unrelated to the discussion at hand but, my freshman high school algebra teacher insisted that we cross our 7s or be downgraded. Been crossing them ever since. In case you guys run across one of my early sigs
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

How could King date and sign a book 9/17/1975 that physically wasn't printed until 1978?

More and more I am of the belief that if the inscription is legit (and it sure looks good to me other than the crossed "7"), then the inscription page was glued into a book printed in 1978.
    Seems like the most feasible explanation, though it is not evident from the picture... but still a damn early inscription at any rate.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Scenario: In 1978 or thereabouts, a pretty girl ("Dawn"), perhaps known to King or perhaps just able to bat her eyes fetchingly, approaches him with a book and a story. "Steve! Remember 3 years or so ago when you signed my book, and wrote a nice note just for me? Well, (I lost the book/it fell in the gutter/the dog ate it), and I'm so bummed! Could you do me a HUGE favor and sign this new book I got and back-date to 1975, just like before? I'm sure you remember what a cool time we had that day! Pretty Pleeeease?"

King, unable to resist a pretty face, takes the book and signs it like we see here. Neither Dawn nor King notices or cares that the book is a later edition.

Plausible?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Or she bought the '78 book recently, went back in time and got it signed prior to release?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Completely unrelated to the discussion at hand but, my freshman high school algebra teacher insisted that we cross our 7s or be downgraded. Been crossing them ever since. In case you guys run across one of my early sigs
    sorry to interrupt this otherwise fascinating discussion but this made me chuckle. Thank you Brian.
    Carry on all!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I still say it has something to do with this...

Spoiler:

And here's the proof

Spoiler:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Ya'll are a trip!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice one Paul!

For what it's worth I contacted the seller, though I've cut some of the unimportant details here's what he said about the possibility of pasting an old sig on a newer book:

"Thank you. You have placed into exact words the issue I have listing this book. All the data does not add up.

When I did my research, the book seems to be a latter production, but the signature is before the printing date.

I want to let everyone know what I am offering. I do not want to sell junk. I will send you pictures, but I have three pending offers and ebay will not allow me to update the listing.

The answer to the great question you asked is No. It appears to be one page of paper, that was bound in the book when it was made. Nothing taped or pasted inside the book. Please see photos I added for you."

I do have the photos, but I can't attach them at the moment. If the intrigue continues I will post them when I get off work. I tend to agree with him from what I can tell though.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I asked the seller if it states First Edition on the CR page.
    No answer yet.
    The seller seems to know a bit about a 'Salem's Lot first Edition.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Too expensive (IMO), but if you have to have one, $79 BIN:
    Stephen King Rare 1st Printing ANOMALY Edition Dark Tower CHARLIE THE CHOO CHOO

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Things that are either "wrong" or puzzling about with the pre-publication 'Salem's Lot:

• The DJ is not correct for any of the 3 states that are known for a true 1st edition.
    • The gutter code seems to be from a book printed in 1978.
    • We have yet to be told or shown that the CR page says "First Edition".
    • The inscription has a crossed "7". No prior King inscriptions are well known that have a crossed "7" prior to the year 1977.
    • Seller has zero feedback. Opened account December 4, 2016. Comes across as very coy about knowledge concerning a 1st edition 'Salem's Lot.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

Scenario: In 1978 or thereabouts, a pretty girl ("Dawn"), perhaps known to King or perhaps just able to bat her eyes fetchingly, approaches him with a book and a story. "Steve! Remember 3 years or so ago when you signed my book, and wrote a nice note just for me? Well, (I lost the book/it fell in the gutter/the dog ate it), and I'm so bummed! Could you do me a HUGE favor and sign this new book I got and back-date to 1975, just like before? I'm sure you remember what a cool time we had that day! Pretty Pleeeease?"

King, unable to resist a pretty face, takes the book and signs it like we see here. Neither Dawn nor King notices or cares that the book is a later edition.

Plausible?
    I am inclined to go with this theory. It is interesting that the specific day (Tuesday) is noted and the date corresponds. But maybe the story happened to be true, dog really did eat her pre-publication 'Salem's lot.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My theory seems more and more likely! At least, it accounts for all the mis-matches.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW, the inscription is tied to the book.
    From 'Salem's Lot:

Then she laughed and offered him the book. 'Will you autograph it?'
    'A library book?'
    'I'll buy it from them and replace it.'
    He found a mechanical pencil in his sweater pocket, opened the book to the flyleaf, and asked, 'What's your name?'
    'Susan Norton.'
    He wrote quickly, without thinking: For Susan Norton, the prettiest girl in the park. Warm regards, Ben Mears. He added the date below his signature in slashed notation.

Tuesday September 16 is mentioned in the book:

He was sitting on a bench in the park when he observed the girl watching him. She was a very pretty girl, and there was a silk scarf tied over her light blond hair. She was currently reading a book, but there was a sketch pad and what looked like a charcoal pencil beside her. It was Tuesday, September 16, the first day of school, and the park had magically emptied of the rowdier element.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is my hypothesis:

• King wrote 'Salem's Lot in the present tense. It was not meant to reflect something long ago, nor terribly far in the future. Either King, or the editor looked at a Calendar for a Tuesday early in September of the expected publishing year-1975 (most schools in the USA started the school year the first or second Tuesday after Labor day which is the first Monday in September) The book specifically says "Tuesday September 16..." and " the prettiest girl in the park.."
    • Someone either named "Dawn", or on behalf of "Dawn" presented a 'Salem's Lot that was printed in 1978 and thus had the $8.95 price that "The Shining" was issued at and being sold for (Line item pricing is what that's called) to King with a specified inscription directly lifted from the book with the name of the character (Susan) changed to the book recipient (Dawn).
    • "The White Hart" is a novel by Arthur C. Clarke. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure if there is a reference to a female that is the prettiest person, but the novel is real and I'm sure King and or Dawn had read it and thus referenced it.
    Thus we have a 1978 printed 'Salem's Lot with an $8.95 DJ reflecting the price for the hardback in 1978 and having long before been corrected to state Father Callahan on the flap. In 1978 or later, "Dawn" requested a specific inscription from Stephen King in the book. King complied and essentially back dated the year to be correct for the novel itself.

FYI, I think the only value in the book is the quirkiness of the inscription. I made an offer on the book based on that alone.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That is the most plausible explanation for this. I'm convinced that is what happened.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Posted in one of king FB groups

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy cow!
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Holy cow!
    Rep points for that.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the ad is bull....

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Steer clear...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 848 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 348 748 798 838 846 847 848 849 850 858 898 948 ... LastLast