Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 735 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 235 635 685 725 733 734 735 736 737 745 785 835 ... LastLast
Results 18,351 to 18,375 of 27567

Thread: Intriguing Stephen King/King Related/Dark Tower Auctions-Sales

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe someone got a very good deal. Hopefully a member here. I thought about bidding $350, and now have remorse.

$267 Wow!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DEAD-ZON...vip=true&rt=nc

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was watching that also, but decided to save for something else I have been looking for, missed out on a nice Carrie 1st/1st about a month ago. The seller was real close to me and did not want to do a personal meet after pondering for a couple hour's I went back to make sure it was still there clicked on bank account to transfer funds into paypal account went back book was gone! I have my eyes on a nice Salem's Lot 1st/2nd state, he willing to meet up and is close also.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I believe someone got a very good deal. Hopefully a member here. I thought about bidding $350, and now have remorse.

$267 Wow!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DEAD-ZON...vip=true&rt=nc
    I was crushed. I couldn't bid on it as no overseas post was offered. I couldn't even send him a message through EBay. Very very frustrating.I had a limit of $290-$300USD, I assumed it would go for much more....

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ke7285 View Post
    I was watching that also, but decided to save for something else I have been looking for, missed out on a nice Carrie 1st/1st about a month ago. The seller was real close to me and did not want to do a personal meet after pondering for a couple hour's I went back to make sure it was still there clicked on bank account to transfer funds into paypal account went back book was gone! I have my eyes on a nice Salem's Lot 1st/2nd state, he willing to meet up and is close also.
    When selling on eBay I have had some offers to meet and pick up and I always have to decline no matter how easy it seems vs shipping. The way Paypal is set up you 100% need shipping confirmation on eBay sales. If the buyer went back and opened an "item not received" dispute they would win with no shipping information. Even if you have a signed receipt Paypal will not consider that proof.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ke7285 View Post
    When selling on eBay I have had some offers to meet and pick up and I always have to decline no matter how easy it seems vs shipping. The way Paypal is set up you 100% need shipping confirmation on eBay sales. If the buyer went back and opened an "item not received" dispute they would win with no shipping information. Even if you have a signed receipt Paypal will not consider that proof.
    I've never used Craigslist but we have all heard the stories about meeting someone to complete a deal in a parking lot or wherever and having it go terribly wrong with a robbery or worse. Book deals likely involve different types of people than selling an iPhone or whatever and such things are less likely to happen. But still it seems like it might be a little risky to meet up with a complete stranger.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree Bob. I probably watch too much True Crime but I wouldn't fancy meeting a stranger with a pocketful of cash on me!

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I've never used Craigslist but we have all heard the stories about meeting someone to complete a deal in a parking lot or wherever and having it go terribly wrong with a robbery or worse. Book deals likely involve different types of people than selling an iPhone or whatever and such things are less likely to happen. But still it seems like it might be a little risky to meet up with a complete stranger.
    I haven’t really thought about it since 2004, but I was visiting the U.S. that summer from Ireland. I was staying with Stu Tinker in Bangor, ME and I was following an eBay auction for a proof copy of “The Shining”. I already had a copy at this time, and while I wasn’t actively looking for another, it appeared (from the single blurry photo and non-existent description) that it was a nice copy. While I didn’t expect to win it, I asked Stu to use his computer in the bookstore to place a bid, and it was so low that I was shocked to see that nobody sniped it. He noted that it was a very good price.

This was a Thursday evening, and I was planning on flying out from Logan Airport in Boston the following Monday. There was no way to get the package delivered to me in Bangor before I left on the Sunday, so I called the seller and asked her if I could meet her in person to pick it up on the Sunday because I was leaving the country the next day. She agreed.

I drove my rental car back down I-95 to Boston and jumped on an Amtrak train to New Haven, CT. I was in communication with her while waiting for the train and she agreed to meet me at the station. After meeting her on the platform, she told me that the book was in her car parked near the station. We walked there and en-route she told me that her friend was in the car, because she was a little scared. I tried to create a bit of humor by telling her that she shouldn’t be scared because little Danny survived as did his mother. His father wouldn’t be after them anymore. She was expressionless, which was not a good thing. I don’t think she was a Constant Reader.

We got to her car and sure enough her male friend was in the back with the book. This was about 7:30pm at night and it was dark. She asked me could she count the money in the car because she didn’t want to do that outside, due to the dangers of the area. I said no worries, but her friend has to stay outside with the book, which I wanted to inspect first. She agreed, he stayed out, she counted inside and when she was happy, she got out to shake my hand. I shook it, took the book and walked back towards the station.

It was by far the strangest book purchase in my life. I felt like I just did a deal out of ‘Miami Vice’. Afterwards, she emailed me back at home and was 180 degrees a different person. She thanked me for meeting her and buying her book. She told me that she found it at a garage sale for $2, which was confirmed with a light pencil mark on the inside page. She said she was so nervous because she had no idea the book was so valuable and when I asked to meet in person at a train station at night, all the bells starting to ring.

I know there are some Craigslist killers out there, and perhaps that was what scared her, but I just wanted to get the proof undamaged, which I wouldn’t expect she would have packed it securely with bubble wrap and peanuts.

I was happy with the purchase, she made a profit over her $2 find, and the World is still spinning.

Gerald

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A great story, Gerald! Thanks for sharing.

There have been at least two instances recently here in the Cleveland area where sellers of Air Jordan shoes over Craigslist were robbed at gunpoint in the same area of town. I don't think I'd ever meet a seller in person.

John

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I think meeting in a very public place would help. Meet at the Barnes & Noble, (or McDonald's if you must) sit down, have a cup of coffee, do your business, and everybody is happy.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I haven’t really thought about it since 2004, but I was visiting the U.S. that summer from Ireland. I was staying with Stu Tinker in Bangor, ME and I was following an eBay auction for a proof copy of “The Shining”. I already had a copy at this time, and while I wasn’t actively looking for another, it appeared (from the single blurry photo and non-existent description) that it was a nice copy. While I didn’t expect to win it, I asked Stu to use his computer in the bookstore to place a bid, and it was so low that I was shocked to see that nobody sniped it. He noted that it was a very good price.

This was a Thursday evening, and I was planning on flying out from Logan Airport in Boston the following Monday. There was no way to get the package delivered to me in Bangor before I left on the Sunday, so I called the seller and asked her if I could meet her in person to pick it up on the Sunday because I was leaving the country the next day. She agreed.

I drove my rental car back down I-95 to Boston and jumped on an Amtrak train to New Haven, CT. I was in communication with her while waiting for the train and she agreed to meet me at the station. After meeting her on the platform, she told me that the book was in her car parked near the station. We walked there and en-route she told me that her friend was in the car, because she was a little scared. I tried to create a bit of humor by telling her that she shouldn’t be scared because little Danny survived as did his mother. His father wouldn’t be after them anymore. She was expressionless, which was not a good thing. I don’t think she was a Constant Reader.

We got to her car and sure enough her male friend was in the back with the book. This was about 7:30pm at night and it was dark. She asked me could she count the money in the car because she didn’t want to do that outside, due to the dangers of the area. I said no worries, but her friend has to stay outside with the book, which I wanted to inspect first. She agreed, he stayed out, she counted inside and when she was happy, she got out to shake my hand. I shook it, took the book and walked back towards the station.

It was by far the strangest book purchase in my life. I felt like I just did a deal out of ‘Miami Vice’. Afterwards, she emailed me back at home and was 180 degrees a different person. She thanked me for meeting her and buying her book. She told me that she found it at a garage sale for $2, which was confirmed with a light pencil mark on the inside page. She said she was so nervous because she had no idea the book was so valuable and when I asked to meet in person at a train station at night, all the bells starting to ring.

I know there are some Craigslist killers out there, and perhaps that was what scared her, but I just wanted to get the proof undamaged, which I wouldn’t expect she would have packed it securely with bubble wrap and peanuts.

I was happy with the purchase, she made a profit over her $2 find, and the World is still spinning.

Gerald
    Man you have some crazy stories. lol Might I ask how much it was worth at that time Gerald?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    A great story, Gerald! Thanks for sharing.

There have been at least two instances recently here in the Cleveland area where sellers of Air Jordan shoes over Craigslist were robbed at gunpoint in the same area of town. I don't think I'd ever meet a seller in person.

John
    I do admit that it can be risky today, and not wishing to go into too much detail, while I was a tourist, I do have friends in a few places that were able to email me confirmation of her home address from her DMV records, her drivers licence photo, and car registration. I also made sure to get her cellular phone number so that I could match it to her home address that eBay had on file. I am not totally naive. When I saw her on the platform I already knew who she was. Walking to her car, I knew her plate details, so if any one thing struck me as wrong, I turn around, get back on the next train and I am out $50 for my day. I can live with that.

I always like to speak to someone on the phone before meeting. You can get a good feel for a person through talking, that email can mask. This was a time when I didn't have a PayPal account and having lost plenty of money to fraudulent eBay sellers, there was no way I would send a few thousand dollars with a cashiers check from overseas. I was going to need to see the merchandise first.

Gerald

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting story Gerald. And you sure did your homework on the seller. I've never met up with anyone I didn't know to buy a book but if I ever do, there's some good pointers here.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I think meeting in a very public place would help. Meet at the Barnes & Noble, (or McDonald's if you must) sit down, have a cup of coffee, do your business, and everybody is happy.
    I agree that is ideal, but in my instance it was not possible. It was Sunday night, late and I was flying home the next day. I had to get the last train home for the night that would drop me off at midnight. There didn't appear to be anything open near the station, and my layover was only 25 minutes.

In Thailand I don't have the option of meeting anyone in person because while most people in the country love King, and signs everywhere say "We Love King", they are talking about King Bhumibol Adulyadej, and NOT Stephen.

Gerald

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Man you have some crazy stories. lol Might I ask how much it was worth at that time Gerald?
    Sure, no problem, it was $25 above than the 2nd highest bidder.

G

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

In Thailand I don't have the option of meeting anyone in person because while most people in the country love King, and signs everywhere say "We Love King", they are talking about King Bhumibol Adulyadej, and NOT Stephen.

Gerald

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Sure, no problem, it was $25 above than the 2nd highest bidder.

G
    Understood brother.. sorry to ask
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes it is bad to meet up, but if you offer to meet at the local police station or the Mc D's somewhere inside in public.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Well you learn something new every day. I thought I was the ONLY "Craigslist Killer".

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    "Dust jacket is printed with a scuffing effect, front and back, to simulate ageing. "

Wow, mine doesn't have that effect...I guess mine is defective

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Damn, Tim, my limit on that one is $25K, and he rejected that offer!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I think someone misplaced a decimal point.

Hey it comes with free shipping though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I would hold onto that little gem if I were him. If he sells it 20 years from now, just think how much it will be worth! It's better than a 401K.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I would hold onto that little gem if I were him. If he sells it 20 years from now, just think how much it will be worth! It's better than a 401K.
    Anyone catch onto his dust jacket explanation.

"NOTE: Dust jacket is printed with a scuffing effect, front and back, to simulate aging".

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Anyone catch onto his dust jacket explanation.

"NOTE: Dust jacket is printed with a scuffing effect, front and back, to simulate aging".

Mulleins
    I offered him $5. it did not automatically decline. Hoping to save $27,495.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 735 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 235 635 685 725 733 734 735 736 737 745 785 835 ... LastLast