Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauntlet Press - The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile scripts

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

An update:

Last week we sent out a special newsletter announcing that in 2018 we will be publishing Frank Darabont’s scripts from THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE. We wanted to ensure this will be a typical Gauntlet production with loads of bonus material and, hopefully, some big names providing tributes and signing the lettered edition.

We asked for an editor for the book and the response was excellent. From a number of wonderful applicants we’ve chosen Tyson Blue to edit the book. He worked on THE GREEN MILE, has a good deal of material himself that will go into the book, and has worked closely with Frank Darabont.

While this isn’t going to be released until 2018 (and we won’t be taking orders until January 1, 2018) we will update you on the progress we are making throughout the year.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile”

Not sure if everyone received this release, but it's impressive not only for the content of two of Stephen King's most beloved film adaptations, but also for the unique idea of seeking feedback as to what the books should be priced at.

FYI, although King wrote two introductions, unfortunately he will NOT be signing either editions.

Release:

Three years in the making, we have an announcement of what will be our highest profile book of 2020.

In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of Frank Darabont’s classic film, “The Shawshank Redemption”, as well as the 20th Anniversary of Darabont’s next film, “The Green Mile,” Gauntlet Press is proud to announce the publication of Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont. The book is edited by noted Stephen King authority Tyson Blue.

Available in both signed limited and traycased lettered editions, Hope and Miracles will include:

— Frank Darabont’s screenplays for both films
    — A new Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson
    — Introductions to each film by Darabont and Stephen King
    — Behind-the-scenes photographs and storyboards
    — Cast and Crew listings for both films
    — A profile of the late Michael Clarke Duncan
    — Essays on both films by Darabont and Tyson Blue
    — Reflective essays and interviews by noted directors Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero and James Cole

Added to this, Frank Darabont has gone through his personal archives, allowing us to include photographs never before released.

All editions are signed by Frank Darabont and Tyson Blue. The traycased lettered edition is signed by Frank Darabont, Tyson Blue, Richard Christian Matheson, Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero, and James Cole.

We’re going to continue working on the book into 2020 with the hope of releasing the book in the summer. We’ll update you on additions as we learn about them. We’re going to consult with our traycase maker to come up with something truly unique (the book will be in an 8 x 10 format).

So, what will you have to shell out for each edition? I’ve consulted with a number of people have received such a wide variety of answers that I thought I'd turn to you, my customers.

What sounds to you like a fair price to charge for the signed numbered edition? How about for the signed traycased lettered edition?

Contact me at gauntlet66@aol.com and in the subject mention “Suggested Price of Shawshank Redemption/Long Green Mile.”

We’ll make a decision and announce it in our last newsletter of the year (two weeks from now). We’ll begin taking orders January 1, 2020.

Until next time,

Barry Hoffman
    Publisher, Gauntlet Press

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I seen the release and well I am
    Passing. There is just to much to collect and if not signed by King.... I have to move on. Shelf space is as valuable as real estate in downtown NYC now for Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

cannot order until Jan 1 anyway....Barry only looking for pricing suggestions now

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    cannot order until Jan 1 anyway....Barry only looking for pricing suggestions now
    Suggestions are non-binding, but how often does a publisher release info and seek public input about pricing? Of course, depending on pricing, it seems to be a book that any lover of the two films will want.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

AND, being civil, members can publicly discuss pricing right here!

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like this project and will be getting one. I also like that he's asking for input although I don't have enough expertise to even begin to suggest pricing. I just know what I would LIKE to pay. Lol

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default Gauntlet Press - The Shawshank Redemption / The Green Mile Screenplays

I havent seen this posted here yet (but sorry if I missed it!) but this was the latest news email from Gauntlet Press:

Three years in the making, we have an announcement of what will be our highest profile book of 2020.

In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of Frank Darabont’s classic film, “The Shawshank Redemption”, as well as the 20th Anniversary of Darabont’s next film, “The Green Mile,” Gauntlet Press is proud to announce the publication of Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont. The book is edited by noted Stephen King authority Tyson Blue.

Available in both signed limited and traycased lettered editions, Hope and Miracles will include:

— Frank Darabont’s screenplays for both films
    — A new Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson
    — Introductions to each film by Darabont and Stephen King
    — Behind-the-scenes photographs and storyboards
    — Cast and Crew listings for both films
    — A profile of the late Michael Clarke Duncan
    — Essays on both films by Darabont and Tyson Blue
    — Reflective essays and interviews by noted directors Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero and James Cole

Added to this, Frank Darabont has gone through his personal archives, allowing us to include photographs never before released.

All editions are signed by Frank Darabont and Tyson Blue. The traycased lettered edition is signed by Frank Darabont, Tyson Blue, Richard Christian Matheson, Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero, and James Cole.

We’re going to continue working on the book into 2020 with the hope of releasing the book in the summer. We’ll update you on additions as we learn about them. We’re going to consult with our traycase maker to come up with something truly unique (the book will be in an 8 x 10 format).

So, what will you have to shell out for each edition? I’ve consulted with a number of people have received such a wide variety of answers that I thought I'd turn to you, my customers.

What sounds to you like a fair price to charge for the signed numbered edition? How about for the signed traycased lettered edition?

Contact me at gauntlet66@aol.com and in the subject mention “Suggested Price of Shawshank Redemption/Long Green Mile.”

We’ll make a decision and announce it in our last newsletter of the year (two weeks from now). We’ll begin taking orders January 1, 2020.

Until next time,

Barry Hoffman
    Publisher, Gauntlet Press

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RF posted it a week ago.....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    RF posted it a week ago.....
    i somehow missed that!
    Sorry. Just ignore me!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

I love that he's getting a conversation going with his customer base, but it seems crazy to ask the customers what we'd be willing to pay. Most of us have no idea what sorts of materials will be used and how much it cost hime to secure the rights and what the printer is charging and what Barry's electric bill is. If he's asking how much people would be willing to pay for these screenplays--no matter what materials are used--then I guess it could be somewhat useful. But he'd have to assume customers would low-ball him. And as a customer, if I told him that the most I'd be willing to shell out is $200 and that set the ceiling for the book, then he'd be trying to make a book with a dollar amount in mind and not the quality of the book. So would he limit the design, the materials, the bells and whistles to limbo in under a budget?

I much prefer the way Paul does it. Plan around the book. Get creative. Source materials that fit the concept of the design. Go big. Figure out the cost and then price the book accordingly. It's a bigger risk for sure! Say Barry goes this route and pulls out all the stops and then lands on a book he needs to sell at $800 but the market squeals because the book isn't signed by King and no one wants these screenplays that sorely. Now he has a warehouse loaded with beautiful dead trees. But it's a model that goes beyond collecting and fosters cherishing.

All this said, and what the hell do I know? Easy to judge this business without any skin in the game.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I love that he's getting a conversation going with his customer base, but it seems crazy to ask the customers what we'd be willing to pay. Most of us have no idea what sorts of materials will be used and how much it cost hime to secure the rights and what the printer is charging and what Barry's electric bill is. If he's asking how much people would be willing to pay for these screenplays--no matter what materials are used--then I guess it could be somewhat useful. But he'd have to assume customers would low-ball him. And as a customer, if I told him that the most I'd be willing to shell out is $200 and that set the ceiling for the book, then he'd be trying to make a book with a dollar amount in mind and not the quality of the book. So would he limit the design, the materials, the bells and whistles to limbo in under a budget?

I much prefer the way Paul does it. Plan around the book. Get creative. Source materials that fit the concept of the design. Go big. Figure out the cost and then price the book accordingly. It's a bigger risk for sure! Say Barry goes this route and pulls out all the stops and then lands on a book he needs to sell at $800 but the market squeals because the book isn't signed by King and no one wants these screenplays that sorely. Now he has a warehouse loaded with beautiful dead trees. But it's a model that goes beyond collecting and fosters cherishing.

All this said, and what the hell do I know? Easy to judge this business without any skin in the game.
    This is a HARD pass book for me. I have zero interest in it.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Also, what do people think of the usual quality of their books?

I only have one - the lettered edition of Neil Gaimans' Novella 'nothing o'clock', which was a bit of a novelty as it came in a TARDIS shaped traycase!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

This is a HARD pass book for me. I have zero interest in it.
    For me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by somekindofstranger View Post

I only have one - the lettered edition of Neil Gaimans' Novella 'nothing o'clock', which was a bit of a novelty as it came in a TARDIS shaped traycase!
    I only have the lettered edition of Rusty Puppy and I wasn't impressed. To be fair it was the cheapest lettered edition I've ever purchased. But at the very least I thought the paper should have been higher quality.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by somekindofstranger View Post

Their “quality” is crap. They drive their sales off signatures.

Country
    Country Flag

There is a couple lettereds that are ok.... I mean one of the ones I need for my collection and CANNOT GET is one of thiers... lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personnally do not collect limited editions and i already have the two books that contains the screenplay and the introductions by King & Darabont.... so not particularly interested, but intrigued nonetheless
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Couldn't have said it better, Jeff. If I was more familiar with the cost/quality of their existing books, I might be able to give an answer as to what I would pay. And I think you're right in that he will choose the materials and design based on what people say they are willing to pay for a limited edition of the contents.

I'm also not particularly interested in it.

I have some Gauntlet Press books, and haven't had any complaints about their quality. I would put them at about the same quality as PS Publishing, I guess (but not the same design).

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably did it to simply get people talking.

I was not overly impressed with their Taxi Driver publication. Probably the project most similar to this one.

looking 4: The Road #208, anything DT#246, Dead Zone 1st/1st
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I bought the Lettered Taxi Driver - It's a Scorcese and Deniro signature, but the faulty was very much lacking. (And it's now 20% cheaper - unfortunate for the early buyers like me).

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I bought the Lettered Taxi Driver - It's a Scorcese and Deniro signature, but the faulty was very much lacking. (And it's now 20% cheaper - unfortunate for the early buyers like me).
    Do you mean quality when you said faulty?

Traveler JohnSmith will become famous soon enough JohnSmith's Avatar

Orders are now being taken for Hope and Miracles. Price is $199 for numbered and $999 for lettered. Not signed by Stephen King.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    This is a wow for you bro? A “meh” for me. I would only buy if King signed and even then wouldn’t be wow.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    This is a wow for you bro? A “meh” for me. I would only buy if King signed and even then wouldn’t be wow.
    Yea, I am not feeling the lettered at all. Sounds like the same book with a few extra sigs on the tip-in page for 5x the cost.
    I really hate it when the publishers put little or no effort into the lettered edition and it's just a money grab.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast