Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

21 72.41%
  • Inglourious Basterds

8 27.59%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Octofinal 1 of 8

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Octofinal 1 of 8

During the sixth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    Directed by Peter Jackson

Watch Trailer

Inglourious Basterds (2009)
    Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Watch Trailer

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see the poll.

Nevermind
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

LOTR

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If it was any other Rings film, I would have gone Basterds. Tough break.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, shit. My two favourites remaining up against each other. Fellowship is by far my favourite of the LOTR trilogy and Basterds is Tarantino's masterpiece. I'm going to think on this one further. I'm probably going to end up giving my vote to Basterds just because I have a feeling it's going to get trounced.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Matt, I never thought I'd hear you say that you were even contemplating voting against Basterds...

And apparently I'm the only one here that isn't a fan of LotR... this is going to get very boring for me when they all end up in the finals.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really don't see any other LOTR film other than Fellowship making it to the Semifinals. One out of four isn't bad, is it?

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

This is a really unfortunate match up for me. I love both of these movies. I went with Fellowship, though it pained me to do so.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

LOTR
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    M
    And apparently I'm the only one here that isn't a fan of LotR...
    Can I ask why?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've only seen the first one and was incredibly bored by it. I have zero interest in watching any more. I've also never read any of the books.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

It might be sexist of me but it seems that LotR has a much bigger male following. I know there are plenty of women that love the series but it really seems to be more of a guy thing. Also, there are only three named female characters in the entire series. That's out of how many characters? Again, I'm probably over-generalizing but I'm also going by the fact that none of the women in my family have seen it but all the men have, multiple times.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My wife ALWAYS falls asleep before hobbits even leave the Shire so you might be onto something here.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I never thought about it but you guys might be on to something. Having said that though there are some very key story elements in place that shine through - Good vs Evil, courage in the face of insurmountable odds, endearing characters etc., that I think anyone should be able to enjoy, regardless if its male or female protagonists.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I never thought about it but you guys might be on to something. Having said that though there are some very key story elements in place that shine through - Good vs Evil, courage in the face of insurmountable odds, endearing characters etc., that I think anyone should be able to enjoy, regardless if its male or female protagonists.
    Agree. And the one theme I think is paramount is lengths we will go through to help our friends.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Maybe there's exceptions to the rules but I think all of my female friends love LOTR, with the exception of some family members. Then again I'm a nerd and have nerdy friends.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't watch Fellowship without watching the other 2 films. On that merit, I think Basterds is the better because it is a complete story.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We all know that the Arwen and Aragorn romance was expanded and spread throughout all three films so traditional women would have something to latch onto. Which is a shame, because we all know Sam x Frodo is the real romance of the trilogy.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My sister can't stand LoTR. She hates all things fantasy though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

My wife only liked LOTR because of Aragon and Legolas.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    ...none of the women in my family have seen it but all the men have, multiple times.
    That's toxic femininity for you.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ...Sam x Frodo is the real romance of the trilogy.
    Sam's freakin' doe-eyes for Frodo are among the very few things about this series that annoy me.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Speaking of LOTR - and scoff if you like - but I'm pretty sure I saw Gandalf at the train station this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    My sister can't stand LoTR. She hates all things fantasy though.
    My brother's wife is like that, except about fantasy and science fiction (unless it's animated and has a Disney logo on it).

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring moves on and Inglourious Basterds is eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread