Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Politics of Limited Editions

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So $2900 is highest bid and the reserve price not met.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think that King himself had this book bound. He simply signed a copy that some fan had already created from the text of the story, then had bound. Perhaps the person sent a copy to King, who then signed it, and gave it to the Whelans. Hard to say, but given how King had books bound through his self created Philtrum Press, there is no way (IMHO) King bound this book.

Thus, the book is worth maybe $1K.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hard to argue with that. Seems most likely scenario.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I don't think that King himself had this book bound. He simply signed a copy that some fan had already created from the text of the story, then had bound. Perhaps the person sent a copy to King, who then signed it, and gave it to the Whelans. Hard to say, but given how King had books bound through his self created Philtrum Press, there is no way (IMHO) King bound this book.

100% agree. I retracted my bid and after hearing its history I bid MUCH lower. AND am happy to not have it. I concur this is under a $1000. Basically a signed rebound with a backstory.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler randtor will become famous soon enough

Interesting that you, who has never seen this, decided how it was made, by whom, and what it is worth. Respectfully, you seem to be making up a story based on your thoughts, not on reality. The booklet is a copy of the Manuscript, NOT the article in the newsletter (I had the newsletter, it looked nothing like the manuscript). If you have ever seen a POLE manuscript please let me know. I have not, and I searched for 20 years. Who knows if King had it bound or did it himself. I suspect he (or someone who worked with/for him) dressed it up after it was bound, but I HAVE NO PROOF of who did it. Except I am certain there are no others like this based on my research. Other copies of the manuscript?? Perhaps.... show me one.

The book is in near fine condition except the paper bag type material that covers some of the front and back boards has dried glue that seeped thru over the years. It was like this when Audrey sent it to me. I am very certain of everything I stated. If you saw the pages you would know this is the manuscript and not the newsletter. Ask David, he has never seen another either.

I have nothing more to add and will refrain from further comment, except to say that the item is no longer mine.
    Cheers,
    Rand

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi Rand, please don't see my comment as an attack, I'm merely passing along information: this was discussed in a King FB group and Bob (carlosdetweiler) mentioned that he also has a Politics manuscript printout (unbound), Terry also has one and shared a picture. And there is also a printout of the essay in King's archive.

Again: I'm not making a judgment, but I am very interested in the provenance of this essay.

best wishes,
    Vincent

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by randtor View Post

Interesting that you, who has never seen this, decided how it was made, by whom, and what it is worth. Respectfully, you seem to be making up a story based on your thoughts, not on reality. The booklet is a copy of the Manuscript, NOT the article in the newsletter (I had the newsletter, it looked nothing like the manuscript). If you have ever seen a POLE manuscript please let me know. I have not, and I searched for 20 years. Who knows if King had it bound or did it himself. I suspect he (or someone who worked with/for him) dressed it up after it was bound, but I HAVE NO PROOF of who did it. Except I am certain there are no others like this based on my research. Other copies of the manuscript?? Perhaps.... show me one.

The book is in near fine condition except the paper bag type material that covers some of the front and back boards has dried glue that seeped thru over the years. It was like this when Audrey sent it to me. I am very certain of everything I stated. If you saw the pages you would know this is the manuscript and not the newsletter. Ask David, he has never seen another either.

I have nothing more to add and will refrain from further comment, except to say that the item is no longer mine.
    Cheers,
    Rand
    I do not believe he did either but again... do not take the views here as a personal attack.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post
    ... there is also a printout of the essay in King's archive.
    I couldn't find it on SK's website. Is the printout available to read somewhere?

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I couldn't find it on SK's website. Is the printout available to read somewhere?
    + 1 (or, if you count my other 2 posts asking the same question: +3!) I get that this thread is a discussion about the particular bound item of note, but- I find the seeming lack of interest around here in reading this Uber-elusive article itself very curious. Especially considering it's subject matter- and where we all currently are. It's King's thoughts on Limited Editions of his work! And, as far as I know- most of us have never been able to read it. Would anyone who happens to have the Castle Rock(s)- (wasn't it serialized over 2 issues, if memory serves?) be willing to share the article somehow? What would be the legal and moral ethics of that as well? I'm very interested in all of these questions! I've been wanting to read that article for 30 years!

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I meant King's physical manuscript archive. The archive for a very long time was held at the University of Maine in Orono, at the Fogler library. In their catalogue it was in box 2702 folder 12. Now the entire archive is back with the King family.

King wrote the essay on his Wang computer, that's why I call it a printout.

Are you in the SK Rare Editions group on FB? Someone there posted photos of the entire essay from the two issues of Castle Rock. If you like, I'd be glad to help you further via PM so that you can read the text, it's a good read.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    + 1 (or, if you count my other 2 posts asking the same question: +3!) I get that this thread is a discussion about the particular bound item of note, but- I find the seeming lack of interest around here in reading this Uber-elusive article itself very curious. Especially considering it's subject matter- and where we all currently are. It's King's thoughts on Limited Editions of his work! And, as far as I know- most of us have never been able to read it. Would anyone who happens to have the Castle Rock(s)- (wasn't it serialized over 2 issues, if memory serves?) be willing to share the article somehow? What would be the legal and moral ethics of that as well? I'm very interested in all of these questions! I've been wanting to read that article for 30 years!
    I can help, I'm sending a PM to you and Ben Mears.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Me too, please!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

PM Sent!

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't this article reprinted at some point? I'd swear I've read it in some book or maybe a magazine.
    Christine

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The only recorded printing:

Castle Rock: The Stephen King Newsletter Part I (June, 1985): 3-4, 6. Part II (July, 1985): 1-2,5.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The only recorded printing:

Castle Rock: The Stephen King Newsletter Part I (June, 1985): 3-4, 6. Part II (July, 1985): 1-2,5.
    Thanks, I guess I just got lucky and a member here let me read it.
    Christine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3