Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Politics of Limited Editions

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    This item is now up for auction! I wonder if we'll know what it goes for?
    It is a cool, unique little book and I hope someone here gets it!

Just for fun what do you guys think it MIGHT sell at?
    JUST a guess....$3000+
    Not with his distribution list. Probably 5.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

How about $1 and two tenths of my soul?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Strange... I talked to Audrey today and she knows nothing of this book....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Strange... I talked to Audrey today and she knows nothing of this book....

She's pretty integral to the whole story! Granted it's been 20 years... but seems like something pretty memorable

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, with the provenance story in serious doubt, all that remains here is a signed printout / copy bound by someone or other into a book. Bob and Terry shared on FB that they also have a copy (unsigned and unbound), and Bob shared info that King sent this text to quite a few people in the bookselling business in 1984. So the value would only be in the signature, and that it's most likely an original copy made by King, of which there could be about ten, something like that.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IMO, which means little to nothing here... This is worth what his sig from the time frame is worth (not that you can prove other then handwriting expertise when it was singed) . There is no way to prove or disprove provenance on this book, but we know it is not the first printing of the material.
    Nothing but a verbal story of it's background (and that is second hand at this point) drastically reduces the worth... again IMO.
    I hope whoever decides to pay $1000+ for this is happy with the purchase. (And remembers worth is in the proof of the pudding)
    Christine

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am cancelling my bid. For many reasons.... I spoke again to Audrey and she really wasn't remembering it but thought Michael might have. She said she could not imagine giving anything away that was a gift from King. She just isn't 100% sure on this. Enough for me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

I know it's different when you work with the guy all the time, but still. It seems odd that someone would give away a personally hand-bound gift from a friend like that.

Traveler randtor will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone. The booklet in question is mine. I met with Michael and Audrey to consult with Michael on a personal private matter which will remain so. Later on I sent some artwork I had of Michael’s work to be framed by Audrey. She and I shared a common thread...we attended the same college together at the same time. We talked about a mini Woodstock that was held at the college in 1970, because we both had been there. Of course we did not know each other but we remembered the weekend well. When she shipped my framed artwork back to me, she included the booklet as a thank you gift to me from them. I was so thrilled I even saved the email she sent when she sent the artwork back. I have a picture of that email and I have blocked out the private portions. That email will be on VFB’s website soon, and I sent a copy to Dave(Betts Books) yesterday, who sold a lot of my collection this past spring. Some of you purchased my books. I held this booklet back as I had no idea of its worth. In truth, I was unsure of exactly what I had, as was Dave. I was also very hesitant to part with it as it was a gift from King to them and then a gift to me. But there are hundreds of books that were gifts from Stephen King to friends of his, that were subsequently sold or given away and that’s how many of us all ended up with collectibles, right?
    I am sure that if I spoke with Audrey she would remember exactly the circumstances surrounding this, and I would enjoy chatting but I didn’t want to be a PITA, so I opted not to bother them.
    Last year I decided to liquidate the remaining items in my collection so I got together with Dave who sold most of my books, leaving me with a few I have left, and a few that VFB is now selling. I have no idea of the values of any of these but David’s thoughts were in the same ballpark as VFB’s for everything except this booklet. David, Emmanuel and I have no comparisons. I researched this for years on my own, as Emmanuel has now, and there just is nothing else out there similar to this. Bottom line as always- the market will determine its value.
    I hope this sheds some light on the whole thing. I really hesitated to post this, but decided I needed to clarify this so everyone understands the reality of how this came to be.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for providing your perspective. This item is out of my budget, however I have enjoyed the discussion around it.

First post after seven years of membership? Is that a record around here?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Rand for sharing the story. The item is legitimately signed by King....I have never seen one before but that does not mean that others don't exist....I think you are right in the market will determine the value. You were correct not to list this item with me because you and I really did not know the value of this item....and with still no comparability, that value is still in question. I CAN confirm that you DID receive this item from Michael and Audrey and they DID receive it from Steve.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

What Patrick said.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Yes, I was a big time "lurker" but never posted - until now lol! Do I get a prize??
    I decided to "out" myself because I didn't want everyone bothering Audrey about this. I felt bad about her getting phone calls and emails, so I called her to apologize, and we had a very pleasant 15-20 minute chat. Audrey was concerned with the wording on VFB's site. She thought it made it sound like she said it was a one of a kind item. We don't know that, nor does she, so I asked Emmanuel to change the wording so that is not there. Otherwise, Audrey certainly knew who I was and remembers the circumstances of how and why we all met. I hope this clears up any misconceptions and no one misconstrues anything Emmanuel or I have said about the booklet. Simply put, no one knows if this is the only one, or one of many copies of the manuscript that exists in this state. In over 20 years of ownership, and lots of research over that time, I have yet to see another. That's all I know. I have posted essentially the same message on Lilja's Library Facebook page, as some one told me there was a discussion there as well.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info Rand. I just wish you had listed it with David, I won't bid with Emmanuel and I know other folks that feel the same way.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

What a pleasure to see David, in his usual expansive fashion, state that he feels it correct to list elsewhere.
    A true gentleman, with an exceptionally balanced point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Thanks for the info Rand. I just wish you had listed it with David, I won't bid with Emmanuel and I know other folks that feel the same way.
    I have no perspective on that, and I am sorry you (and others) feel that way. I found Emmanuel to be very pleasant and an honest gentleman as well as an avid collector and lover of SK's books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    What a pleasure to see David, in his usual expansive fashion, state that he feels it correct to list elsewhere.
    A true gentleman, with an exceptionally balanced point of view.
    Exactly. David is actually the one who suggested to me that I list with VFB what he did not sell. Since none of the three of us had any idea what the booklet is worth, I decided that the recommendation to list it at auction was the most fair resolution, and a blind auction would be much better than an Ebay style where one can get sniped at the last second. I've had that happen to me and was most disappointed.
    There you have it. I have nothing more to add. Good luck to anyone who chooses to bid. I really hope the booklet finds a collector that will feel the same way about it that I did... and still do.

One last correction: Speaking to Audrey it turns out that we were at the same music festival as I said, but she did not go to that same college, as I thought. She attended a different school but came to that festival held at my school. My apologies on that one.

Country
    Country Flag

I thank you for chiming in. I approached Audrey because I wanted the book. I did pull my bid and have to be honest... I am happy I did. You guys do not know if it is an original OR how many King sent out. I feel that plays into the equation. I am happy to hear the provenance was cleared up as she first had no idea or recollection of it. Either way, I am sure you will sell the book. I just am not prepared to take a chance on the unknowns.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I also read the email that was posted by VFB and Audrey states in that (and she did to me after she remembered it) that the book is falling apart. Is this in fact so OR is it fine as VFB is listing it? Did you have it repaired or as you received it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I'm on the fence about bidding $100, think I have a chance?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I think Bidding starts at $1000 so... what do you think?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I think Bidding starts at $1000 so... what do you think?
    Son of a gunslinger, foiled again!

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

I had reason to speak to Emmanuel today from Very Fine Books.
    There is no interest for me in the book that he has up at auction, however I thought it a suitable time to obtain some answers to the questions Kris had raised.
    The book is near fine and the images on the site are an accurate representation of the condition. The book is in the same state that it has been in for years, hence David attesting to the fact that he “had held it in his hands”.
    I appreciate that there is always a division over the prices charged by Emmanuel as opposed to David, nonetheless I have the utmost respect for both of them and the ethics they adopt with all aspects of buying and selling.
    I have posted this as well because I believe questions during an auction should be raised with the auction house (Very Fine Books) and not the owner.
    Further to this, both the aforementioned sellers are well known for accepting any returns if the buyer is not completely satisfied.
    Quite a recommendation from someone who has no interest in the item!!

Country
    Country Flag

There is no interest for me in the book that he has up at auction, however I thought it a suitable time to obtain some answers to the questions Kris had raised.
    The book is near fine and the images on the site are an accurate representation of the condition. The book is in the same state that it has been in for years, hence David attesting to the fact that he “had held it in his hands”.
    I appreciate that there is always a division over the prices charged by Emmanuel as opposed to David, nonetheless I have the utmost respect for both of them and the ethics they adopt with all aspects of buying and selling.
    I have posted this as well because I believe questions during an auction should be raised with the auction house (Very Fine Books) and not the owner.
    Further to this, both the aforementioned sellers are well known for accepting any returns if the buyer is not completely satisfied.
    Thanks Alec, well said and good to hear the information on the conditions on the book... kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Thanks to David and Alec for figuring this all out! I have a bid in, but don't expect to win it! I like the whole idea/story behind the item! Congrats to who ever does win!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

An intriguing item, to be sure. Thanks to Rand for answering a lot of questions, and to everyone else who clarified the situation. I won't be bidding - out of my league, and not really my thing - but it's been a compelling thread to read.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast