13 50.00%
  • WALL-E

7 26.92%
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

7 26.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 4 - Group 11 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 4 - Group 11 of 16

During the fourth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Kill Bill: Volume 1 (2003)
    Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Watch Trailer

Almost Famous (2000)
    Directed by Cameron Crowe

Watch Trailer

WALL-E (2008)
    Directed by Andrew Stanton

Watch Trailer

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
    Directed by Ang Lee

Watch Trailer

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two of these movies (Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill) will always hold a place in my "top 10 of all time" list. Hell, maybe even "top-5 of all time."

Crouching Tiger changed my life. Literally...Changed. My. Life. I hope it advances.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, Wall-E is better than all these films, but I guess it won't be advance. Picked it and Almost Famous. But this is a tight group, all deserving of advancing.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Two of these movies (Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill) will always hold a place in my "top 10 of all time" list. Hell, maybe even "top-5 of all time."

Crouching Tiger changed my life. Literally...Changed. My. Life. I hope it advances.
    How so, if you don't mind sharing? I'm intrigued.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Hey! At the risk of antagonizing folks that have seen this essay already (I've posted it a couple of times before and don't want to turn it into some sort of weird manifesto), I've spoilered it.

Spoiler:
    How I Got Interested in Asian Film

One movie started it all. This film opened up an entirely new genre of film to me and refocused pretty much my entire area of film interest. In short, it opened a door into a world I never knew existed.

The film is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Prior to watching this movie, my experience with Asian cinema consisted of a few Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee movies. I liked those well enough and was impressed by the skills and stuntwork, but I knew nothing beyond that.

I had read a couple of glowing reviews for Crouching Tiger and figured, okay, looks pretty good.

I saw it and was mesmerized. I felt myself welling up with emotion just watching the fight scenes. My chest hurt after the first confrontation between the characters played by Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang. I realized that I had forgotten to breathe, I was so overwhelmed. I went back again and again to experience these wonderful feelings. Eleven trips to the theater. Sometimes dragging others along. Mostly by myself. There is a movie theater 2 blocks from my office. Several times I slipped out of work to watch this again. And again. It was a painful realization that I could only see it for the first time once.

I had never heard of wuxia before this. I was not aware of martial arts fantasy films. I didn't know what other types of movies Hong Kong and other Asian countries had been putting out.

So I started watching. VHS at first. I scoured the “foreign” sections of the local video rental stores for any and all Asian movies. It didn’t take me long to realize that the future of my hobby was going to be DVDs and a region-free player. OAR and no more crappy dubs! (And several versions to choose from--do I get the Hong Kong release or the Korean, or perhaps the R1? Ah, the choices DVD has opened up to me!)

I had already been introduced to Jackie Chan, so I started delving deeper into his catalogue. Then on to other classic martial arts/comedy/action films such as Sammo Hung and Jet Li.

I looked for other films similar in genre to Crouching Tiger. My infatuation with Michelle Yeoh and, later, Maggie Cheung led me to other movies and other genres. Butterfly & Sword. Iceman Cometh. Flying Dagger. Comrades, Almost a Love Story. Green Snake. The Heroic Trio. Wing Chun. Royal Warriors. Yes, Madam!
    I continued on and found Iron Monkey, Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Chinese Ghost Story, and The Bride with White Hair. Later came Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

I discovered John Woo. A Better Tomorrow. Hard-Boiled. The Killer. Then other action films. In the Line of Duty. Tokyo Raiders. The Big Heat. Beast Cops. Righting Wrongs. Infernal Affairs.

And then there are the Category III movies.

It gone oes on and on, and has spilled over into other Asian cinema. Japanese: Kurasawa and Ozu of course. But more than that. I watched the entire Zatoichi series, 20+ films (starring Shintaro Katsu), and next it was the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Lady Snowblood. Sex & Fury. Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl. The Mystery of Rampo and Angel Dust. Cultish films such as Junk, Evil Dead Trap, and Reborn From Hell: Samurai Armageddon. Versus and Returner. And of course, Battle Royale.

And I haven’t even touched on Korean film here. Is was about 2002 and I was kidding with my wife (who is Korean). She asked my why I never watched any Korean movies. I told her that no one watched Korean movies because they all sucked! Who would ever watch a Korean movie? She said “Yeah, that’s true!” But then Korean filmmakers started getting it together and I discovered some good ones that had already been made. I started off with Tell Me Something, Shiri, Art Museum By the Zoo, Christmas in August, JSA, Bichunmoo, and Volcano High. Not all of these are 5-star films but I was hooked. Over the past 15 years I have watched over 300 Korean films. Some of my favorite films of any genre have been out of Korea. For example A Tale of Two Sisters and The Classic.

And it all goes back to the door that was opened when I watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I owe Ang Lee a world of gratitude.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Hey! At the risk of antagonizing folks that have seen this essay already (I've posted it a couple of times before and don't want to turn it into some sort of weird manifesto), I've spoilered it.

Spoiler:
    How I Got Interested in Asian Film

One movie started it all. This film opened up an entirely new genre of film to me and refocused pretty much my entire area of film interest. In short, it opened a door into a world I never knew existed.

The film is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Prior to watching this movie, my experience with Asian cinema consisted of a few Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee movies. I liked those well enough and was impressed by the skills and stuntwork, but I knew nothing beyond that.

I had read a couple of glowing reviews for Crouching Tiger and figured, okay, looks pretty good.

I saw it and was mesmerized. I felt myself welling up with emotion just watching the fight scenes. My chest hurt after the first confrontation between the characters played by Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang. I realized that I had forgotten to breathe, I was so overwhelmed. I went back again and again to experience these wonderful feelings. Eleven trips to the theater. Sometimes dragging others along. Mostly by myself. There is a movie theater 2 blocks from my office. Several times I slipped out of work to watch this again. And again. It was a painful realization that I could only see it for the first time once.

I had never heard of wuxia before this. I was not aware of martial arts fantasy films. I didn't know what other types of movies Hong Kong and other Asian countries had been putting out.

So I started watching. VHS at first. I scoured the “foreign” sections of the local video rental stores for any and all Asian movies. It didn’t take me long to realize that the future of my hobby was going to be DVDs and a region-free player. OAR and no more crappy dubs! (And several versions to choose from--do I get the Hong Kong release or the Korean, or perhaps the R1? Ah, the choices DVD has opened up to me!)

I had already been introduced to Jackie Chan, so I started delving deeper into his catalogue. Then on to other classic martial arts/comedy/action films such as Sammo Hung and Jet Li.

I looked for other films similar in genre to Crouching Tiger. My infatuation with Michelle Yeoh and, later, Maggie Cheung led me to other movies and other genres. Butterfly & Sword. Iceman Cometh. Flying Dagger. Comrades, Almost a Love Story. Green Snake. The Heroic Trio. Wing Chun. Royal Warriors. Yes, Madam!
    I continued on and found Iron Monkey, Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Chinese Ghost Story, and The Bride with White Hair. Later came Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

I discovered John Woo. A Better Tomorrow. Hard-Boiled. The Killer. Then other action films. In the Line of Duty. Tokyo Raiders. The Big Heat. Beast Cops. Righting Wrongs. Infernal Affairs.

And then there are the Category III movies.

It gone oes on and on, and has spilled over into other Asian cinema. Japanese: Kurasawa and Ozu of course. But more than that. I watched the entire Zatoichi series, 20+ films (starring Shintaro Katsu), and next it was the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Lady Snowblood. Sex & Fury. Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl. The Mystery of Rampo and Angel Dust. Cultish films such as Junk, Evil Dead Trap, and Reborn From Hell: Samurai Armageddon. Versus and Returner. And of course, Battle Royale.

And I haven’t even touched on Korean film here. Is was about 2002 and I was kidding with my wife (who is Korean). She asked my why I never watched any Korean movies. I told her that no one watched Korean movies because they all sucked! Who would ever watch a Korean movie? She said “Yeah, that’s true!” But then Korean filmmakers started getting it together and I discovered some good ones that had already been made. I started off with Tell Me Something, Shiri, Art Museum By the Zoo, Christmas in August, JSA, Bichunmoo, and Volcano High. Not all of these are 5-star films but I was hooked. Over the past 15 years I have watched over 300 Korean films. Some of my favorite films of any genre have been out of Korea. For example A Tale of Two Sisters and The Classic.

And it all goes back to the door that was opened when I watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I owe Ang Lee a world of gratitude.
    Wow! I had not heard that story. It's pretty awesome! I love hearing stories how film impacts a person's life. Actually, that's not a bad idea for a thread, although we probably already have one.

Thank you for sharing.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Kill Bill: Volume 1 (69.23%)
    2. Almost Famous (50.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (26.92%)
    2. WALL-E (26.92%)

+ Reply to Thread