Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2020 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so sick of hearing about this stuff with The Oscars. The same "old white guys" who didn't nominate enough minorities or women this year voted for the highest number of non-white winners at the Academy Awards just last year. The same old white men have only voted for one white man to win best director in the past 8 years and 4 of the past 6 Best Picture winners were directed by minorities. Half of the Screenplay Oscars in the past 3 years have gone to minorities. 3/4 acting Oscars last year went to minorities. We're talking about the biggest awards here. How quickly we forget.

As for the demographics in the Academy, that takes time to fix. You have to grandfather that stuff in, you can't just expect it to happen overnight as people seemingly expect it to. Everybody wants everything immediately these days. Gotta wait for the old guard to die off.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing about this stuff with The Oscars. The same "old white guys" who didn't nominate enough minorities or women this year voted for the highest number of non-white winners at the Academy Awards just last year. The same old white men have only voted for one white man to win best director in the past 8 years and 4 of the past 6 Best Picture winners were directed by minorities. Half of the Screenplay Oscars in the past 3 years have gone to minorities. 3/4 acting Oscars last year went to minorities. We're talking about the biggest awards here. How quickly we forget.

As for the demographics in the Academy, that takes time to fix. You have to grandfather that stuff in, you can't just expect it to happen overnight as people seemingly expect it to. Everybody wants everything immediately these days. Gotta wait for the old guard to die off.
    It's just become a popular thing to highlight and social media fuels things like this. I have mentioned it before that it was an anomaly that those acting categories consisted of all white people those 2 years.

In the years prior to that, the Academy had nominated African Americans at a pretty decent rate. Viola Davis, Lupita Nyong'o, Octavia Spencer, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Gabourey Sidibe, Quvenzhané Wallis, Mo'Nique, Barkhad Abdi just to name a few. The Academy didn't just turn racist overnight. Those two years it just so happened that there were other strong performances and an African American wasn't nominated. Yes, it didn't look good, but it was an anomaly. During that same time, the Academy neglected to nominate Jake Gyllenhaal for his amazing performance in Nightcrawler. Unless there's something we don't know, Gyllenhaal is very white.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Both sides of the argument are right.

On the one hand, you shouldn't judge the merit of a movie on the ethnicity of its director, its cinematographer, or on the diversity of its cast - only on the contribution that the completed film makes to the history of cinema. That being the case, there are going to be years where nominees are ethnically diverse, and years where they are not, because ethnicity is not, in and of itself, a consideration. So to infer the existence of racial bias based purely on the ethnic makeup of the nominees in any given year is folly. It's not even clear what the ethnic makeup of the "perfectly diverse" year would be, even if that were a valid metric.

On the other hand, the fact that the demographics of the Academy are slanted towards old white males might indicate that they don't necessarily appreciate the intent and effectiveness of films aimed at other demographics, just because they don't have shared experiences with them. If a film perfectly captured the plight of Latvian immigrants in Washington state, would it be recognized as doing such? That's an extreme case, but the point is that if the Academy doesn't have a diversity of perspectives considering these things, they might not appreciate a diversity of filmmakers and their work.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Stop being reasonable!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Oscars are this Sunday! You have until showtime to submit your picks. Read the first post for the rules. You can post your picks here or use the online form.

https://tinyurl.com/OscarContest2020

Best Picture

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

Actor in a Leading Role

Antonio Banderas - Pain and Glory
    Leonardo DiCaprio - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Adam Driver - Marriage Story
    Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
    Jonathan Pryce - The Two Popes

Actress in a Leading Role

Cynthia Erivo - Harriet
    Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story
    Saoirse Ronan - Little Women
    Charlize Theron - Bombshell
    Renée Zellweger - Judy

Actress in a Supporting Role

Kathy Bates - Richard Jewell
    Laura Dern - Marriage Story
    Scarlett Johansson - Jojo Rabbit
    Florence Pugh - Little Women
    Margot Robbie - Bombshell

Actor in a Supporting Role

Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Anthony Hopkins - The Two Popes
    Al Pacino - The Irishman
    Joe Pesci - The Irishman
    Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Directing

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
    Sam Mendes - 1917
    Todd Phillips - Joker
    Martin Scorsese - The Irishman
    Quentin Tarantino - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    The Two Popes

Original Screenplay

Knives Out
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

International Feature Film

Corpus Christi
    Honeyland
    Les Miserables
    Pain and Glory
    Parasite

Production Design

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite

Film Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Parasite

Cinematography

The Irishman
    Joker
    The Lighthouse

Visual Effects

Avengers: Endgame
    The Irishman
    The Lion King
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Costume Design

Jojo Rabbit
    The Irishman
    Joker
    Little Women

Sound Mixing

Ad Astra
    Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Original Score

Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story

Documentary Feature

American Factory
    The Cave
    The Edge of Democracy
    For Sama
    Honeyland

Documentary Short Subject

In the Absence
    Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
    Life Overtakes Me
    St. Louis Superman
    Walk Run Cha-Cha

Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy
    Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Animated Feature Film

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    I Lost My Body
    Klaus
    Missing Link
    Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film

Dcera (Daughter)
    Hair Love
    Kitbull
    Memorable
    Sister

Live-Action Short Film

Brotherhood
    Nefta Football Club
    The Neighbors’ Window
    Saria
    A Sister

Original Song

"I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" - Toy Story 4
    "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" - Rocketman
    "I'm Standing With You" - Breakthrough
    "Into the Unknown" - Frozen 2
    "Stand Up" - Harriet

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not feeling super confident about my picks, but I'm always picking (naively, I know) what I wish would win... Picks bolded:

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    The Oscars are this Sunday! You have until showtime to submit your picks. Read the first post for the rules. You can post your picks here or use the online form.

https://tinyurl.com/OscarContest2020

Best Picture

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

Actor in a Leading Role

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Cynthia Erivo - Harriet
    Renée Zellweger - Judy

Al Pacino - The Irishman
    Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Directing

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
    Sam Mendes - 1917
    Todd Phillips - Joker

Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    The Two Popes

Original Screenplay

Knives Out
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

Corpus Christi
    Honeyland
    Les Miserables
    Pain and Glory
    Parasite

Production Design

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite

Film Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Parasite

Cinematography

The Irishman
    Joker
    The Lighthouse

Visual Effects

The Irishman
    The Lion King

Costume Design

Jojo Rabbit
    The Irishman
    Joker
    Little Women

Sound Mixing

Ad Astra
    Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Original Score

Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story

Documentary Feature

American Factory
    The Cave
    The Edge of Democracy
    For Sama
    Honeyland

In the Absence
    Life Overtakes Me
    St. Louis Superman
    Walk Run Cha-Cha

Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy

Animated Feature Film

I Lost My Body
    Klaus
    Missing Link
    Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film

Dcera (Daughter)
    Hair Love
    Kitbull
    Memorable
    Sister

Live-Action Short Film

Brotherhood
    Nefta Football Club
    The Neighbors’ Window
    Saria
    A Sister

Original Song

"Stand Up" - Harriet
    Tiebreaker: 1917 with 5

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used the on line form after I watched the Bafta (I just have to say - I can live without Rebel Wilson at award shows). If I need to post it here, I can. Had 1917 with six.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot to put together my picks before I leave. I filled out the form but here they are as well.

Heather's Oscar Picks
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still internally debating between 1917 and Parasite for BP... I don't know what to do I feel like there's this huge swell of support for Parasite and it's one of the best reviewed movies of all time (#26 on IMDB Top 250 and #1 on Letterboxd Top 250), yet the Academy is unlikely to give BP to a South Korean film. I'm sticking with Parasite for now...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree, was torn between the two and could see it going either way.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah it's a two horse race at this point. I originally didn't even consider Parasite for Best Picture, but people wouldn't shut up about it's momentum. Things go wrong for me when I question my original gut feeling.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have 1917 slightly edging out Parasite with OUATIH as a dark horse.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

HERE YOU GO MIKE

My picks for 2020

Spoiler:
    Best Picture

Actor in a Leading Role
    Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Renée Zellweger - Judy

Directing
    Sam Mendes - 1917

Adapted Screenplay
    Jojo Rabbit

Original Screenplay
    Parasite

Parasite

Production Design

Film Editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Costume Design
    Little Women

Sound Mixing

Sound Editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Original Score
    Joker

Documentary Feature
    American Factory

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Bombshell

Animated Feature Film
    Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film
    Hair Love

Live-Action Short Film
    Brotherhood

Original Song

Tiebreaker - 1917 with 5

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I have 1917 slightly edging out Parasite with OUATIH as a dark horse.
    That's my feeling on it exactly.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I haven't seen enough of these to really make a informed guess. That said my money is still on 1917 for BP. It's kinda just the most "Oscar" movie on the list. I'd love to be wrong though and have the Oscars defy expectations and pick Parasite.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woah, woah, woah...Fernando actually submitted his picks this year?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. Go buy a lottery ticket on your way home

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Because it's the oscars...I'm going to take the chance I might actually enjoy this Honest Trailer and watch it even though they've been utter shit for the past two years.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooof. That was a mistake.

Gotta watch an old, good Honest Trailers for The Oscars to wash the taste of that out of my mouth.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    HERE YOU GO MIKE

My picks for 2020

Spoiler:
    Best Picture

Actor in a Leading Role
    Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Renée Zellweger - Judy

Directing
    Sam Mendes - 1917

Adapted Screenplay
    Jojo Rabbit

Original Screenplay
    Parasite

Parasite

Production Design

Film Editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Cinematography

Visual Effects

Costume Design
    Little Women

Sound Mixing

Sound Editing
    Ford v Ferrari

Original Score
    Joker

Documentary Feature
    American Factory

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Bombshell

Animated Feature Film
    Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film
    Hair Love

Live-Action Short Film
    Brotherhood

Original Song

Tiebreaker - 1917 with 5
    I'm not gonna' lie, I got choked up when I saw this post.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I get worse every year.....

Best Picture

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

Actor in a Leading Role

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Cynthia Erivo - Harriet
    Renée Zellweger - Judy

Al Pacino - The Irishman
    Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Directing

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
    Sam Mendes - 1917
    Todd Phillips - Joker

Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    The Two Popes

Original Screenplay

Knives Out
    Marriage Story
    Parasite

Corpus Christi
    Honeyland
    Les Miserables
    Pain and Glory
    Parasite

Production Design

The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite

Film Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Parasite

Cinematography

The Irishman
    Joker
    The Lighthouse

Visual Effects

The Irishman
    The Lion King

Costume Design

Jojo Rabbit
    The Irishman
    Joker
    Little Women

Sound Mixing

Ad Astra
    Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Original Score

Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story

Documentary Feature

American Factory
    The Cave
    The Edge of Democracy
    For Sama
    Honeyland

In the Absence
    Life Overtakes Me
    St. Louis Superman
    Walk Run Cha-Cha

Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy

Animated Feature Film

I Lost My Body
    Klaus
    Missing Link
    Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film

Dcera (Daughter)
    Hair Love
    Kitbull
    Memorable
    Sister

Live-Action Short Film

Brotherhood
    Nefta Football Club
    The Neighbors’ Window
    Saria
    A Sister

Original Song

"Stand Up" - Harriet

Tiebreaker: Most Oscars - 1917 (6)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Best Picture

Actor in a Leading Role

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Renée Zellweger - Judy

Directing

Sam Mendes - 1917

Adapted Screenplay

Little Women

Original Screenplay

Marriage Story

Parasite

Production Design

Film Editing

Parasite

Cinematography

Visual Effects

The Lion King

Costume Design

Little Women

Sound Mixing

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari

Original Score

Joker

Documentary Feature

Honeyland

Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell

Animated Feature Film

Toy Story 4

Animated Short Film

Hair Love

Live-Action Short Film

Saria

Original Song

Tiebreaker: Most Oscars - 1917 (5)