Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2020 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I haven't seen Joker yet, but I've of course been following all this ridiculous controversy surrounding the film.

As we all know, there have been tons of ultra-violent films with similar subject matter. Funny Games, A Clockwork Orange and Man Bites Dog come to mind. Yes, many films of this nature are relegated to artsy theaters. Joker is one of the more high profile films to deal with this kind of subject matter that is aimed for a mass audience.

I guess I'm kind of annoyed right now hearing that the film is getting so much backlash that its chances of garnering Oscar attention is now in doubt.
    I go back and forth on this topic. On the one hand, one can never know what is going to trigger someone to violence.
    However, I think it is a little naive to think that art has no effect on real life.

Catholic zealots set a movie theater on fire in Paris during a screening of The Last Temptation of Christ injuring 13 people. At another theater, a man rammed his car into the box office of a theater showing the same movie. Scorsese still gets death threats over that film.

The Birth of a Nation is widely credited with bringing back to life a nearly non-existent KKK.

Propaganda film is used during wartime to make the enemy even more hated and easily killable, less human and it works pretty well.

And you mentioned A Clockwork Orange which I believe Kubrick himself took out of of circulation in the UK due to copycat gang violence.

Art imitates life but art is a lie that helps us better understand the truth we've been given at least. We get our ideas of what love and friendship, family and conflict resolution could/should be like from films.

It's a bit of a problem in my brain because I don't believe in artistic censorship but at the same time, I can clearly see how films and TV can affect real life in both positive and negative ways. And it's difficult to say that said art has no responsibility in those effects.

And not for nothing but we live in a generation with people like the incels and laundry-detergeant eaters and kids that join ISIS through YouTube recruitment videos. To be an "influencer" is an actual thing now.

Film and TV as both media and art forms is a relatively new thing and I don't think we fully understand it's power.

Just as a stupid example, how many girls got the Rachel haircut because of Friends and how many boys had that Justin Bieber haircut?

Film and TV definitely can influence things to happen, does that make them responsible for those actions though? I really don't know.
    I totally agree. My main issue is that people are acting like this is the first film to have subject material like this. It's not. Its impact on society is debatable, the fact that there have been hundreds of more violent films is not.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

And I still haven't seen it yet either. From what I've read and heard, it seems a rather bleak experience. Maybe not the best date movie? And maybe not something I could watch multiple, multiple times like The Dark Knight and enjoy it every time?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    And I still haven't seen it yet either. From what I've read and heard, it seems a rather bleak experience. Maybe not the best date movie? And maybe not something I could watch multiple, multiple times like The Dark Knight and enjoy it every time?
    Yeah, that's my guess too. I think the main reason it's creating such controversy is the fact that it's not some art-house indie film. It's a big-budget studio film based on a popular comic book character.

Phoenix was in a similarly violent film last year, one of my favorite films of the year called You Were Never Really Here. It wasn't quite as bleak and his character walked a fine line, but he wasn't a villain. At the end of the day, nobody saw it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't watch the video rn but is Lighthouse in there?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rewatched JOKER last night. Had to.... He better win Best Actor or I boycott!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Phoenix will be a front runner for sure. Is there any other Best Actor nominee that's generating this much buzz? Maybe Pattinson.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Phoenix will be a front runner for sure. Is there any other Best Actor nominee that's generating this much buzz? Maybe Pattinson.
    Correct me if I am wrong... would this be the 1st time in Oscar history where two actors won for the same character portrayal?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be the second time, De Niro and Brando won BA and BSA for portraying Vito Corleone. It's great to think of the Joker joining the pantheon of all time great characters (if he wasn't already).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't watch the video rn but is Lighthouse in there?
    I listened to the show while at work and I don't remember them mentioning The Lighthouse. If they did, it was brief.

Pattinson is amazing in The Lighthouse. I've been touting his acting chops for a few years now, constantly letting family and friends know how good he is. I've never seen the Twilight films, but I was also guilty of brushing him off because of his bloodsucking past. Boy was I wrong. Pattinson has since gone on a streak of pumping out quality work with films like The Rover, The Lost City of Z, High Life, Cosmpolis and Good Time.

I think an interesting discussion is what to do with Dafoe. He's equally great, but he's a lead actor as well. lt would be a bad idea if they both went Best Actor though.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

His acting is great in Cosmopolis, but the film is a whole is a misfire. Pains me to say that as I'm a huge Cronenberg fanboy.

I haven't seen High Life or Good Time yet, but I remember reading the outpouring of praise from various outlets.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

His acting is great in Cosmopolis, but the film is a whole is a misfire. Pains me to say that as I'm a huge Cronenberg fanboy.

I haven't seen High Life or Good Time yet, but I remember reading the outpouring of praise from various outlets.
    Have you seen The Rover? Because I might have an unused digital code lying around.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I need to see Marriage Story, and Two Popes. I'll watch anything with Hopkins.

Also the fact that Midsommar and Lighthouse aren't contending for major honors bugs the shit outta me.

Country
    Country Flag

Too weird.

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I need to see Marriage Story, and Two Popes. I'll watch anything with Hopkins.

Also the fact that Midsommar and Lighthouse aren't contending for major honors bugs the shit outta me.
    Lighthouse should be more so. While I loved Midsummer it was no Oscar contender.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Lighthouse should be more so. While I loved Midsummer it was no Oscar contender.
    Pugh's perormance is not Oscar worthy? I would beg to differ.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Pugh's perormance is not Oscar worthy? I would beg to differ.
    No I do not think so. I bet there is no nomination for it too. I think Lighthouse in some form or another will get nods though.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Were there really 5 actresses better than Pugh this year? I doubt it, but if so I'm impressed.

Country
    Country Flag

Were there really 5 actresses better than Pugh this year? I doubt it, but if so I'm impressed.
    We will find out. I really liked that movie a LOT but she didn't blow me away. And surly not Oscar nom acting that is for sure. When is the nominations out anyways?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I predict The Irishman will have several nominations and will win Best Picture, Best Actor (DeNiro), Best Supporting Actor (Pacino),Best Editor, and Best Director.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I predict The Irishman will have several nominations and will win Best Picture, Best Actor (DeNiro), Best Supporting Actor (Pacino),Best Editor, and Best Director.
    Man you are making me pumped to see this! You gave Ford V Ferr a higher mark though?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Not Oscar related, but is that the only face De Niro knows how to make? I swear every promotional movie still I see of him in anything his him making that face.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast