+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Institute Spoilers: Be aware!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Well, to get into major spoilers ...

Spoiler:
    ... although the Institute we were aware of was destroyed, there's nothing to indicate that any of the other Institute "branches" aren't still snapping up kids and killing people based on the predictions of their supposedly clairvoyant people.

Hmmmm, it seemed pretty clear to me that ALL the global facilities were similarly destroyed/disabled as the facility destroyed by our heroes was able to be done for utilizing all their collective powers across the globe. It would seem logical thqt the other facilities were all destroyed and the inhabitants set free. That was my take on it anyway.

I was also rather disappointed that no one at the Institute got their comeuppance. I mean, sure, a bunch of them died, but so did a lot of the kids that Luke was trying to save. Not much of a victory for the good guys in this one.

A victory all around for the "good guys" and internationally to boot, IMHO anyway. I guess he could have described individual tortures and eventual deaths if you're that into those things, yeah. However, they met their fates in the end. Besides, if they did really "get into it" with select characters that would make them no better than their captors I suppose.

HBJ
    Okay, so I responded in your spoiler

WB

Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Spoiler:
    ... although the Institute we were aware of was destroyed, there's nothing to indicate that any of the other Institute "branches" aren't still snapping up kids and killing people based on the predictions of their supposedly clairvoyant people.

Hmmmm, it seemed pretty clear to me that ALL the global facilities were similarly destroyed/disabled as the facility destroyed by our heroes was able to be done for utilizing all their collective powers across the globe. It would seem logical thqt the other facilities were all destroyed and the inhabitants set free. That was my take on it anyway.

If that's the case, then that's better at least. I don't recall mention of Avery and co returning the assistance that the other Institutes gave to them, though. And I got the impression form the Lisping Man that the future-tellers were still alive and well. Perhaps I should reread those sections, though

I was also rather disappointed that no one at the Institute got their comeuppance. I mean, sure, a bunch of them died, but so did a lot of the kids that Luke was trying to save. Not much of a victory for the good guys in this one.

A victory all around for the "good guys" and internationally to boot, IMHO anyway. I guess he could have described individual tortures and eventual deaths if you're that into those things, yeah. However, they met their fates in the end. Besides, if they did really "get into it" with select characters that would make them no better than their captors I suppose.

I didn't mean THAT kind of comeuppance. Just getting arrested and brought to justice would have been enough for me.

HBJ

WB
    Also responded in the spoiler.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Spoiler:

If that's the case, then that's better at least. I don't recall mention of Avery and co returning the assistance that the other Institutes gave to them, though. And I got the impression form the Lisping Man that the future-tellers were still alive and well. Perhaps I should reread those sections, though

I didn't mean THAT kind of comeuppance. Just getting arrested and brought to justice would have been enough for me.

HBJ

WB
    Also responded in the spoiler.

HBJ
    Fair points indeed.With regard to issue (A) I just thought it was a logical next step, but maybe I assumed too much. As far as issue (B) Oh I see what you mean, but if that had happened perhaps the ensuing press and trials would have done more harm than good in the end? Just spitballing there.

WB

Spoiler:
    BTW, no need for spoiler tags here. The thread name bears "Spoilers Be Aware". Just FYI for the future, my friend!!

Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Re: Spoilers. Fair enough. It was just such a massive ending spoiler that I thought I should be cautious, nonetheless.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Re: Spoilers. Fair enough. It was just such a massive ending spoiler that I thought I should be cautious, nonetheless.

HBJ

Rabid Billybumbler Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell has much to be proud of Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved the book but I did want a little revenge/blood at the end.
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Roadwork 1st/1st
    Goblin-Josh Malerman

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Loved the book but I did want a little revenge/blood at the end.
    Well they did get an entire building dropped on everyone, but yeah I guess there could have been a little more graphic revenge for some key character's at the end.

Zombie Hunter ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I finished the book yesterday.
    I am lousy at detailed analyses, because I don't consider myself a critic, I am just a reader.
    I liked the book a lot.
    To nitpick, what I don't like are King's abbreviations, which to me sound silly, probably because I have never heard people use them. This doesn't mean people don't use them, it's just that I personally have never heard these terms used:

uni for uniform
    caff for cafeteria
    walkie instead of walkie talkie (this really bugs me, can't say why)
    and so on and so forth

And a lot of King's dialog between characters just sounds phony to me. Do people really talk that way, with the 'high fives' and all that stuff? Not in my personal experience, which I admit, is limited. It seems these are more movie and TV cliches than real life. I think that's why The PASSAGE trilogy resonated so well with me, the conversations between the characters seemed real, like normal people in extraordinary situations would actually talk and interact with each other. The same goes for 95% of Richard Matheson's work.

Just my 2 cents worth, which probably is not even worth a quarter cent. Give me a high five!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future Roseannebarr has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I am lousy at detailed analyses, because I don't consider myself a critic, I am just a reader.
    I liked the book a lot.
    To nitpick, what I don't like are King's abbreviations, which to me sound silly, probably because I have never heard people use them. This doesn't mean people don't use them, it's just that I personally have never heard these terms used:

uni for uniform
    caff for cafeteria
    and so on and so forth

And a lot of King's dialog between characters just sounds phony to me. Do people really talk that way, with the 'high fives' and all that stuff? Not in my personal experience, which I admit, is limited. It seems these are more movie and TV cliches than real life. I think that's why The PASSAGE trilogy resonated so well with me, the conversations between the characters seemed real, like normal people in extraordinary situations would actually talk and interact with each other. The same goes for 95% of Richard Matheson's work.

Just my 2 cents worth, which probably is not even worth a quarter cent. Give me a high five!
    High five! Oops too slow! Gotta go!

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX is a jewel in the rough RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the book a lot.

uni for uniform
    caff for cafeteria
    and so on and so forth

My guess is that because of King's success he has mostly led a sheltered existence for the past couple of decades that limits his contact with regular people. He is also an older guy who has certain stereotypes. His black characters, for example, are like something out of The Jeffersons. Some of this still works in book form but is downright embarrassing in movies. It is not how real people talk or act but in a book those kinds of simple stereotypes are effective - when not overly annoying - at character development for the reader as they play into behaviors that the masses can easily process.

Zombie Hunter ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan has a brilliant future ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Yup, that sounds about right!

I fell right on my face trying to return that high five, by the way! Like, ouch!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N will become famous soon enough M_O_O_N will become famous soon enough M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...it's just that I personally have never heard these terms used:
    uni for uniform
    caff for cafeteria
    and so on and so forth

Don't dis da man on the walkie. They will hear it.
    There are no coincidences.

I don't like rep points! -
    Please use the 'I disapprove' option for me. (seriously)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2