13 50.00%
  • Shaun of the Dead

12 46.15%
  • Halloween

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 3 - Group 5 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 3 - Group 5 of 32

During the third round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

28 Days Later (2002)
    Directed by Danny Boyle

Watch Trailer

Directed by James Cameron

Watch Trailer

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Directed by Edgar Wright

Watch Trailer

Halloween (2007)
    Directed by Rob Zombie

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Avatar in third? What is this nonsense?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I know I'm an anomaly but I hated Avatar.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

This is an interesting group and I had a hard time only choosing two. I don't really care one way or another about Avatar. Didn't love it but don't really hate it either. I didn't figure it would need any help so I didn't vote for it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Avatar is by far the best here. I don't get the ambivalence for it. It's my #1 film of 2009.l

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Avatar b/c it was one of the most innovatively and beautifully-filmed movies I've ever seen. Although the plot isn't gonna win any awards, the story wasn't as bad as some have made out.

I do think it loses quite a bit on the small screen. But in IMAX 3-D? No other movie even comes close as far as the "visual movie-going experience" is concerned. And I'm one of those who doesn't really even like 3-D! But Avatar is the exception. Boy is it ever.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I confess, that when I read the list of names I read too fast and thought it was Aviator, which I haven't seen. If I would have read it correctly, I would have voted for it, but I didn't feel strongly enough at the time to have my vote fixed, since I assumed it would breeze through this round. I really liked the movie but felt it was highly overrated, and am still surprised it is the highest grossing film of all time.

So I guess you can add a vote for me, since this is a rare group in which I have seen every movie, and clearly Avatar is my second favorite in this group (and I only voted for one).
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Added, but looks like it probably won't matter, stunning upset.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope Shaun of the Dead makes it to the final
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Honestly I think Avatar is a visual masterpiece (at least at the time, no idea if it still holds up), but the story of that movie is just kinda done to death.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Avatar was such a weird experience for me. I loved it while I was watching it and when I left the theater, the further away I got from it, the more ridiculous it started to feel. I've never had a reaction quite like that a film.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I hope Shaun of the Dead makes it to the final
    Now that would be something. It's a great horror\ comedy.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Avatar is by far the best here. I don't get the ambivalence for it. It's my #1 film of 2009.l
    No way. The film is way too derivative. Sam Worthington has the charisma of a bar stool.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Is it the best story? No. But I loved the world, the designs, the language, and yes, the graphics and the effects. I hate 3D but that was an amazing experience and its just a monumental achievement.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Is it the best story? No. But I loved the world, the designs, the language, and yes, the graphics and the effects. I hate 3D but that was an amazing experience and its just a monumental achievement.
    There's no doubt about that. They used the 3D technology better than anyone. For me, 28 Days Later is the film I can watch over and over again. I own Avatar, but still haven't watched it since the theater. Without the 3D, I don't think it will be the same.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

It's still a ton of fun in 2D.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I loved Avatar in theaters, pretty sure I saw it at least twice. That said I can't say that I've seen it since. Avatar and Shaun of the Dead got my votes though, because I don't particularly care for 28 Days Later or Halloween.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I could've voted for any of these, given the right competition, but went with 28DL and SOTD. I liked Avatar, but only liked it. I enjoyed Halloween more, but not enough to consider choosing it over the others.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Amazingly, Avatar and Shaun of the Dead are tied for second!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. 28 Days Later (53.85%)
    2. Avatar (50.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Shaun of the Dead (46.15%)
    2. Halloween (15.38%)

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a sad day.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What, how did Shaun of the Dead get eliminated...
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

It was in second for most of the way but in the last few days Avatar picked up a few votes it seems, and pulled ahead.

+ Reply to Thread