Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Meet-Up

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Good to know. Thanks! I also cane across Witterborn Art Books. No King books, but they have a lot of Herb Yellin correspondence regarding King, which looked interesting.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah man, I would love to meet you guys up there, but I have a work-related function that afternoon/evening. Darn. Have fun and post photos!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wish I knew Metallica was in town...Its a hockey weekend - so we have games Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night in Cupertino (Bay Area adjacent) but doubt we would be able to head into SF then to Cupertino - we would have gear in the car - and as RF said - they break into everything - cops do not get involved in SF (friend is a cop) - and the city does not have their back all the time - always worried about bad publicity if "violent" tactics used - and the staggering amount of homeless doesn't help either...
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey guys,

Let Brian know but I am not sure on my availability. I will be in the city that day for a work event (Booze Cruise) but boss has not given the details. Will keep ya updated

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have some very cool maps and info to post, but before I do, it would help to know how folks are planning to get to the concert. No sense posting detailed info for methods that wont be used.

You are:

• Driving a car
    • Ride hailing Uber/Lyft/Taxi
    • Bart and or Muni
    • Bicycle/Walking
    • Ferry (Far fetched, but you never know)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I think for me it will be muni/uber although I haven't ruled out a rental. I am staying two miles from the venue. We'll probably go somewhere on the wharf for dinner and either walk or muni from there. After the show we'll either muni/uber to the hotel or walk and barhop to the hotel.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome. Since we’ll be coming from the Wharf, I’m thinking that we will take an Uber. It’s definitely going to be a mess, so my wife and I are budgeting enough time to get there early enough to get something to eat, and then head to the concert. After the concert, the Uber area will be ridiculous. So I’m not sure what we’ll do then.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I think for me it will be muni/uber although I haven't ruled out a rental. I am staying two miles from the venue. We'll probably go somewhere on the wharf for dinner and either walk or muni from there. After the show we'll either muni/uber to the hotel or walk and barhop to the hotel.
    From Union Square you walk 3 blocks to Powell Street Bart and take Bart south two stops to 16th & Mission ($4 round trip with Clipper Card). Then take the Muni 78x, or 79x toward Chase Center (free with event ticket). Both lines are express, so the ~2 mile ride to Chase is quick. Reverse the process to return to Union Square.

There is a dearth of good bars (Until you hit Oracle Park-SF Giants park) walking from Chase to Union Square (in fact after midnight, it's not the safest walk to be had). I'd recommend getting back to the Union Square area before bar/restaurant hopping. The walk is 2+ miles and will take 45 minutes sober.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chas...37.7879938!3e2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chas...879938!3e3!5i1

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    From Union Square you walk 3 blocks to Powell Street Bart and take Bart south two stops to 16th & Mission ($4 round trip with Clipper Card). Then take the Muni 78x, or 79x toward Chase Center (free with event ticket). Both lines are express, so the ~2 mile ride to Chase is quick. Reverse the process to return to Union Square.

There is a dearth of good bars (Until you hit Oracle Park-SF Giants park) walking from Chase to Union Square (in fact after midnight, it's not the safest walk to be had). I'd recommend getting back to the Union Square area before bar/restaurant hopping. The walk is 2+ miles and will take 45 minutes sober.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chas...37.7879938!3e2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chas...879938!3e3!5i1
    Thanks for the directions. I have been trying to figure out the muni routes. I haven't even looked at Bart routes yet.

On second thought, we probably won't be bar hopping. I am leaving rather early in the morning. We'll probably just head back to the hotel. Or like you say get close to the hotel and then have a nightcap.

I think my nephew and I would be the last two people anyone would want to assault.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not how tough you are, or how you look. When an insane drug addict goes after you, they are so high they are incoherent.
    There is no fear, and no logical reason for their attack. It's usually an alcohol and or psychotic drug influenced event.
    Best to simply reduce the possibility by using the safest means of transportation.
    Walking 2 miles from Chase to Union Square post midnight is not the safest means of transportation.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are a few restaurant/bar recommendations. I have eaten and or drank at all of them and they are very good.

Right at Fisherman's Wharf:
    Scoma's. A true Italian seafood and steak house situated right on a working fish dock.
    McCormick & Kuleto's Seafood, Oysters and Steakhouse. Locate at historic Ghirardelli square, this tri-level restaurant has an extensive (and pricey) menu. Fabulous views of Alcatraz and the SF bay.
    The Buena Vista. World famous Irish coffees and very good breakfast. Fun in that small groups may be seated at large tables with people they have never met. Great way to meet tourists from around the world.

On the waterfront near The Ferry Building and at the foot of the Bay Bridge. Two stops on Bart (Embarcadero) from Powell St. Bart near Union Square. A gorgeous waterfront walk of 2.2 miles to get to Fisherman's Wharf proper, or grab a pedal cab and have the rider transport you, and regale you with tales of San Francisco.
    Waterbar. Insanely good seafood, raw and cooked. Fantastic views of the Bay Bridge, Alcatraz, and a peak of the Golden Gate Bridge. People watch as thousands walk along the waterfront.

Epic Steak.Same owners as Waterbar, and located right next door. As the name implies this is primarily a steakhouse. Same views as Waterbar.

Bix. High end Supper Club, with live jazz pianist. Dark and sensuous with some of the best cocktails in town. Located 2 blocks from Broadway and North Beach. Jazz clubs and strip clubs abound on Broadway.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! My wife and I have reservations at Scoma on Saturday night. It looks amazing. We wanted to get some kind of California cuisine on Friday night, so I’ll look into these other restaurants.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Trying to plan out the day.

So what is the current location and time of meet up?

Have a headcount yet?

Thx

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Waiting to hear from Br!an, but thoughts were for libations ~3PM Saturday at http://bartletthall.com/

Sunday stuff has yet to be determined.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a former SF resident, I'm reading this thread with envy... can't wait to hear how it all turns out

If anyone will be in SF on Saturday in time to have lunch before the 3pm meetup, I would recommend Tu Lan, one of my favorite long-time SF eats. It's a little less than a mile from Bartlett Hall and the walk along Market street isn't too challenging or dangerous (at that time of day). Of course there are a million other great places to eat also!

I will second RF's recommendation for Green Apple Books. It's always been one of the better book stores in town (and larger), and now it's one of the only ones left... I'd have loved to give someone a list pre-2012 or so...

If you are a horror and/or Sci-Fi fan, you also can't go wrong with a visit to Borderland Books. At some point they are moving from Valencia to the Haight, so it might be worth a phone call to see if they still have their full stock displayed.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Have fun on Saturday afternoon. I’m bummed I can’t meet up, but I’ll be drinking wine at Reid Family Vineyards in Napa then.

Country
    Country Flag

Waiting to hear from Br!an, but thoughts were for libations ~3PM Saturday at http://bartletthall.com/

Sunday stuff has yet to be determined.
    That's the plan.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

From any Bart station, head to the 16th& Mission station. Exit Bart and grab the Muni 78x or 79x train (free with event ticket) straight to Chase center. Reverse route when concert is over. Most of the Bart stations in San Francisco do not have parking available. The Nearest station with parking is Daly City (south of SF).

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can do Saturday afternoon at the restaurant we talked about. 1 or 2 pm works best.
    Sunday is NFL kickoff, so I'll be busy.
    I get in to SFO just before 2pm. My nephew will get there just before me. We aren't checking bags, so it's just the time to get from the airport to downtown.

I'd say that 3pm is the earliest I can be there.

If you are taking Bart you go from SFO (Antioch bound train) to Powell Street, then walk to your hotel. The Bart cost is $9.65 one-way. Trains run every 20 minutes on the 7's (2:07, 2:27, 2:47 etc.) Trip time is 29 minutes.
    If renting a car it will likely take 90 minutes to obtain your car and get to your hotel, park and check in.

Country
    Country Flag

I can do Saturday afternoon at the restaurant we talked about. 1 or 2 pm works best.
    Sunday is NFL kickoff, so I'll be busy.
    I get in to SFO just before 2pm. My nephew will get there just before me. We aren't checking bags, so it's just the time to get from the airport to downtown.

I'd say that 3pm is the earliest I can be there.

If you are taking Bart you go from SFO (Antioch bound train) to Powell Street, then walk to your hotel. The Bart cost is $9.65 one-way. Trains run every 20 minutes on the 7's (2:07, 2:27, 2:47 etc.) Trip time is 29 minutes.
    If renting a car it will likely take 90 minutes to obtain your car and get to your hotel, park and check in.
    I think I'll take the BART to Powell Street and back to the airport. I'll take the muni train from Powell to the venue and back.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    As a former SF resident, I'm reading this thread with envy... can't wait to hear how it all turns out

If anyone will be in SF on Saturday in time to have lunch before the 3pm meetup, I would recommend Tu Lan, one of my favorite long-time SF eats. It's a little less than a mile from Bartlett Hall and the walk along Market street isn't too challenging or dangerous (at that time of day). Of course there are a million other great places to eat also!

I will second RF's recommendation for Green Apple Books. It's always been one of the better book stores in town (and larger), and now it's one of the only ones left... I'd have loved to give someone a list pre-2012 or so...

If you are a horror and/or Sci-Fi fan, you also can't go wrong with a visit to Borderland Books. At some point they are moving from Valencia to the Haight, so it might be worth a phone call to see if they still have their full stock displayed.
    I might go to Tu Lan Sunday. I'll have to play it by ear.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll take the BART to Powell Street and back to the airport. I'll take the muni train from Powell to the venue and back.[/QUOTE]

Advice: Buy a $19.30 BART ticket for each person (round trip price) when you go to the SFO station. That way you don't have to screw around buying a ticket when returning to the airport for the trip home. Saves a couple of minutes time when you may be in a hurry to catch your flight home (which will be delayed because of runway repairs )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast