6 24.00%
  • Gran Torino

16 64.00%
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

3 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 21 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 1 - Group 21 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Identity (2003)
    Directed by James Mangold

Watch Trailer

Downfall (2004)
    Directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel

Watch Trailer

Tell No One (2006)
    Directed by Guillaume Canet

Watch Trailer

Erin Brockovich (2000)
    Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Watch Trailer

Up (2009)
    Directed by Pete Docter

Watch Trailer

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
    Directed by Sidney Lumet

Watch Trailer

Gran Torino (2008)
    Directed by Clint Eastwood

Watch Trailer

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
    Directed by Julian Schnabel

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Up's opening sequence - biggest tear jerker of all time?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Downfall is amazing movie. One thing though, when I got to THAT scene that has been meme'd to death I couldn't take it seriously lol.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thankfully I saw the movie before the memes. But regardless, can’t fault the movie for that.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

*Transforms into movie snob*

If you haven't seen it, please track down Tell No One. It's based on a Dean Koontz Harlan Coben novel. It's one of the best mystery films I've seen in 20 years. There was supposed to be an American remake, but I think it got shelved. Probably because there's no way they could top it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

If you haven't seen it, please track down Tell No One. It's based on a Dean Koontz novel. It's one of the best mystery films I've seen in 20 years. There was supposed to be an American remake, but I think it got shelved. Probably because there's no way they could top it.
    I already have over 140 movies in my queue, so as much as I would like, I just can't be adding movies I've never heard of to my queue left and right, despite them getting nominations for this contest. However, based on what you said here, I just added Tell No One to the top of my Netflix queue. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it (I've still got two DVDs here at home to watch and send back first). But well-done mystery thrillers are hard to come by and if you vouch for this one...

Country
    Country Flag

Nerd-mode on: Tell No One is actually based on a novel by Harlan Coben. And yes, it is great.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

If you haven't seen it, please track down Tell No One. It's based on a Dean Koontz novel. It's one of the best mystery films I've seen in 20 years. There was supposed to be an American remake, but I think it got shelved. Probably because there's no way they could top it.
    I already have over 140 movies in my queue, so as much as I would like, I just can't be adding movies I've never heard of to my queue left and right, despite them getting nominations for this contest. However, based on what you said here, I just added Tell No One to the top of my Netflix queue. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it (I've still got two DVDs here at home to watch and send back first). But well-done mystery thrillers are hard to come by and if you vouch for this one...
    Sorry for offtopic question. I keep seeing people refer to their Netflix queue. I don't have my own account but mooch off a friend. I have a watchlist, but no "queue" that has any specified order on it. Funny thing, just noticed I have 21 things in my watchlist, but 20 are TV series, and 1 is a movie. Is a queue only for movies? Doesn't seem to make much sense to put TV series in a queue per se. Is the queue a feature you have to set up?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The "queue" is the list of DVDs I've saved for Netflix to send to me. I'm on the "two-at-a-time" plan, so when I watch a DVD and return it, they send me the next one (or two) in my queue. I get to order it any way I want. I've put may TV shows in my queue. I've watched the entire run of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Americans, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and a few others. Very simple, really. There's anywhere from 2-5 episodes per DVD (depending on the series. As long as you put them in your queue in order, you can watch them in order.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been thinking of reactivating my Netflix-DVD account because their disc selection is light years better than their online offering. So many movies I would have never seen if it wasn't for their disc service.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I've been thinking of reactivating my Netflix-DVD account because their disc selection is light years better than their online offering. So many movies I would have never seen if it wasn't for their disc service.
    I know. For shits and giggles one time a few years ago I compared the streaming service to my queue. At the time I think I had about 180 DVDs saved. Available for streaming was...maybe 12? Sure, most of my queue was foreign/weird/old/esoteric/etc. and not the "latest Hollywood blockbuster" but even a lot of Hollywood back catalog films were not available. There's even a thread here listing "now available" on Netflix and most of those films are one that should NEVER be "not available"! And if you have the DVD service, most can be ordered right away.

I can have Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless to Confess, or Tokyo Drifter, or Samurai Trilogy 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, or Sukiyaki Western Django or Broken Blossoms delivered to my door in 2 days. I'm guessing if all I had was Netflix steaming, I'd be out of luck (I could be wrong...I haven't checked these titles; but my point stands regardless.)

Or, to pick a more mass-market example--how about Cars? I'm a huge fan of Pixar movies and I probably own most of them on DVD. But I have not seen Cars. It's in my Netflix queue and if I so choose I can have it Saturday. But from what I understand (and I could be wrong about this), if I wanted to stream it, I'd have to sign up and pay extra for some other service.

(Sorry for turning this into a Netflix thread).

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The "queue" is the list of DVDs I've saved for Netflix to send to me. I'm on the "two-at-a-time" plan, so when I watch a DVD and return it, they send me the next one (or two) in my queue. I get to order it any way I want. I've put may TV shows in my queue. I've watched the entire run of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Americans, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and a few others. Very simple, really. There's anywhere from 2-5 episodes per DVD (depending on the series. As long as you put them in your queue in order, you can watch them in order.
    OMG, what a brain fart on my part! I had totally forgot that Netflix started off as being a rent by mail company! I am so used to their streaming only packages.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Shit. That's a lot of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Nerd-mode on: Tell No One is actually based on a novel by Harlan Coben. And yes, it is great.
    Doh! I must have had a brain fart. I think I have all of Coben's books. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I think I read Koontz's Velocity around the same time I read Tell No One and both books have orange/yellow covers. That's the excuse I'm going with.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*Transforms into movie snob*

If you haven't seen it, please track down Tell No One. It's based on a Dean Koontz Harlan Coben novel. It's one of the best mystery films I've seen in 20 years. There was supposed to be an American remake, but I think it got shelved. Probably because there's no way they could top it.
    Just added it to my queue. I'm trusting you, Michael. DON'T BLOW THIS!

But no pressure.

RE-activating? As in you de-activated it?

My "by mail" plan is responsible for 75%+ of the movies I've seen but never would've had the opportunity to see otherwise.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

RE-activating? As in you de-activated it?
    Yes. Unfortunately I fell prey to the modern mentality of "if it ain't online, don't even bother". Lately though - and especially during Tournament season on .org - I find that there are so many films I want to watch that Netflix would never dream of adding to their online service.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is one of the most inspirational films I've seen. If you don't know the true story it's based on, look it up and read a little about it. It's incredible what this man went through and retained his will to create. Amazing.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Up (76.00%)
    2. Gran Torino (64.00%)
    3. Erin Brockovich (48.00%)
    4. Identity (40.00%)
    5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (24.00%)
    6. Downfall (24.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (12.00%)
    2. Tell No One (8.00%)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is one of the most inspirational films I've seen. If you don't know the true story it's based on, look it up and read a little about it. It's incredible what this man went through and retained his will to create. Amazing.
    I have to pick that one up. I see it all the time.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Please do. It's directed by Julian Schnabel and his biopics are beautiful. When I saw it and Before Night Falls, I had no clue what a big name painter he is and it really impresses me when an artist excels at multiple mediums of art. I haven't seen the Van Gogh pic yet but I will eventually.

Please do. It's directed by Julian Schnabel and his biopics are beautiful. When I saw it and Before Night Falls, I had no clue what a big name painter he is and it really impresses me when an artist excels at multiple mediums of art. I haven't seen the Van Gogh pic yet but I will eventually.
    And on top of that, I just read on IMDB that this is the "Favorite film of actor Jason Mamoa."
    So now you HAVE to watch it.

+ Reply to Thread